What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
The source in post #145 by roomraider states that the ride was sold by MAPS for 11.48 million ringgit (Approximately 2.3 million Pounds). So maybe the ride was sold to Interlink for that much and then sold to Mingo for £20 million. This therefore would make Odyssey look like good value for money ;).

If not then hopefully Mingo's marketing team is trying to decieve us...

Jared

Hyper Poster
Maybe there is more to this project that we don’t know about, perhaps this cost includes a brand new entrance area or something else that’s not in planning as it’s not needed.

GregBoxall

Roller Poster
Maybe there is more to this project that we don’t know about, perhaps this cost includes a brand new entrance area or something else that’s not in planning as it’s not needed.

Or maybe they're finally investing in some decent merch.

IMG_20190812_235837.jpg
Well...this has put a spanner in the works. I am absolutely thinking that a relocation does not cost £20.3m! Relocation plus groundwork plus landscaping is at least £15-£17 million. So why it's 20 mill...?

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Meh, I don't think so. Isn't most of the price the construction itself? Let's say they sell the track for half the price, that's only half the track off the price of a brand new one, the cost of everything else is still the same. So essentially, all you're saving money on is the track itself.

Also, I think many of us are in the past when it comes to coaster prices.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Meh, I don't think so. Isn't most of the price the construction itself? Let's say they sell the track for half the price, that's only half the track off the price of a brand new one, the cost of everything else is still the same. So essentially, all you're saving money on is the track itself.
Correct, most of the price is construction. But then again, they could have built an Alpina Blitz clone for about half that money. Given that this is rusting away on the other side of the planet, £20m is a fortune for a second/third hand ride. Even one this big.

It must (he pleads) include a bunch of other stuff.

I'm not so sure we're "in the past", we watch the construction of dozens of coasters every year. ;)

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
I was shocked to see the Facebook competition had answer C to make it over £20 million. I thought between £10-14 million was bad enough and that would already have been mammothly exaggerated.

There is no way one would pay that much for a coaster that already has a clone in the UK. It is not even much of a celebrated ride any more.
The design is 17 years old. It is an off the shelf coaster. Buying this new from Intamin shouldn't even set you back Icon or Wicker Man money. The construction area is already flat and already housed a coaster before.

The only reason you'd erect this coaster is because of exactly the opposite of the answer of their competition: Because you got it cheap.

I did some videos for my channel covering this but I regret not adding a bit more for the one today after thinking about this a bit more. I branded this as a bit of a white lie from Flamingo Land and it is probably partially done to get people to talk (any promotion is better than no promotion right?) but I actually think this is a bit of an insult to Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Alton Towers after both investing £16 million last year and building big coasters in far more challenging locations. It is also a bit of an insult to visitors and coaster fans, many of who know better (see Flamingo Land's Facebook post comments).

Someone posted the other day something along the lines of it doesn't matter what they say or what they build or if it is a second hand ride or not, the general public don't care, people see a big coaster with many "loops" that they haven't seen before and will want to ride it.

I think the days of that type of ignorance are over. People are far better informed and many travel abroad to get on better rides as travel is now cheap. So many don't have to stick with a crappy second hand wild mouse coaster if they don't want to.

This is a strange way from Flamingo Land to get the marketing campaign rolling.

davidm

Strata Poster
Well no, not really. Depends on what previous planning permissions / general orders say.
i.e. not everything a park builds has to go through a planning application - for example if 'mingoland wanted* to install a 24 carat gold statue of Princess Diana next to their new 10-looper, then that probably would not need to be a new planning application as it could be covered under an existing general order.

(* so its very likely to be exactly that to explain the inflated cost)

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
What if they're lying about the cost just so they could charge an even more extortionate amount of money to get in, just to recover they're non-existent debts?

As if £45 didn't take the p*ss already!

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
£20,385,000 is quite an exact amount to lie about. Maybe that’s actually to make it seem like it isn’t a lie at all..

If it turns out to be the real cost then i’ve never seen such a bad investment.. There’s literally so many amazing ride types out there for that kind of money..
Even the huge waste of money that is Derren Brown’s GT was only £13 million down the pan but at least it was original and brand new.

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
£20,385,000 is quite an exact amount to lie about. Maybe that’s actually to make it seem like it isn’t a lie at all..

If it turns out to be the real cost then i’ve never seen such a bad investment.. There’s literally so many amazing ride types out there for that kind of money..
Even the huge waste of money that is Derren Brown’s GT was only £13 million down the pan but at least it was original and brand new.
Imagine a £13 million proper Ghost Train ride (ie not VR), but a trackless dark ride with scare jumps and many rooms with effects and no Derren Brown.