What's new

Finding Nemo Ride for DisneySea

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just saw this over at Screamscape. It's been announced that a Finding Nemo/Finding Dory ride will open in 2017.

Screamscape said:
The Oriental Land Company has announced a new attraction will open at Tokyo DisneySea in Spring 2017 that will be themed to the world of Pixar's Finding Nemo and the upcomming Finding Dory (2016) animated films. Guests will board a special submarine that will then shrink itself down to the size of a fish so that they may "expore the vast underwater world from the same point of view as Nemo and Dory." Even better, the production staff of Finding Dory will be involved with the creation of the visuals for this attraction. The unnamed attraction will be placed in the park's Port Discovery section of the park and take the place of the existing StormRider simulator attraction which will close down permanently sometime in May 2016 to allow for construction to begin. The overall investment into the new attraction is estimated to be around 5 billion Yen.

Based on the concept art, it looks to be a retheme of the current Stormriders attraction rather than a new ride using the space:

db_2017_NemoRide21.jpg

The quoted figure seems to be extremely high for a retheme of an existing attraction though. 5 billion yen is around $40million or £27million.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Stormrider always looked one of the least appetising rides at the park. My first reaction was about pulling off Finding Nemo/Dory/whatever in Port Discovery. I doubt it would be as tasteful as Turtle Talk, but a "special shrinking submarine" could fit in Port Discovery as a sort of sea life research base instead of the weather station. Although I don't want an IP takeover, I think it's a wise move.

peep

CF Legend
Urgh, Stormrider was actually awesome. I understand their lack of space though and the need to renew things. I hope it's more than a retheme and as Gavin rightly points out, that's a lot of money for just a retheme. Then again, getting Pixar to do new animation will be costly and probably why Ratatouille in Paris was so expensive.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team