What's new

Favourite coaster drop?

Will

Strata Poster
Yeah, I'll jump on the Leviathan bandwagon with this one.
Though I'm still not sure if it's a one-drop-wonder or if the first drop is SO good that it's impossible for the rest of the ride to come close to it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
X2. It's not really a conversation. Especially at night. Staring at the night sky, the music goes out for a split second, and then you are faced with the vertical plummet, pressed against the restraints as the ass kicking begins. Still my favorite moment moment on a coaster as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
1. Fury 325

2. El Toro

3. Skyrush

4. Leviathan

5. Intimidator 305

6. Expedition GeForce

7. Twisted Timbers

8. Karnan

9. Piraten

10. Sheikra

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Fury 325 at Carowinds takes the cake for me as well. It's such an incredible start to a truly great coaster; you're out of your seat for the entirety of the drop, which feels to give at least five seconds of true freefalling bliss. The drop sets the tone for the fast, relentless and wild ride to follow. However, a close #2 of mine for the category of "favorite coaster drop" goes to the rather underrated Impulse at Knoebels. With a loose lap bar, you immediately are subjected to Skyrush-level ejector airtime as soon as you start falling - which gave me quite a scare, as well as a feeling of awe - but the lap bar quickly slams into your gut to remind you that you're actually safe. The ride itself is by no means bad, providing good hangtime and a bit more intensity than one might expect; however, its first drop is the highlight that halfway down turns from madness into the least enjoyable moment on Impulse. Other excellent first drops on coasters I've ridden include the ones on Mindbender at Galaxyland, Skyrush, Mako, Lightning Rod, New Texas Giant and Griffon.

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of what I've experienced, some of my favourites probably include:
  • Mako at SeaWorld Orlando - I just adore this drop for the insane sustained airtime it gives! It's so smooth too, and you really feel like you're falling for such a long time!
  • Megafobia at Oakwood - In the back, the ejector over this drop is absolutely insane!
  • Wicker Man at Alton Towers - I must admit that I really like Wicker Man's first drop, especially the s-bend portion down towards the main part of the ride! There are some very good whip forces in this portion, especially towards the back!
  • SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa - I love this drop for the sheer suspense element of it; it's also massive and has some nice floater going down!
  • Oblivion at Alton Towers - Similar to above, but not as tall and with an added tunnel!

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Millennium Force or Vengeance for me. Millennium's drop seems to last forever but Steel Vengeance gives stupid airtime on the drop.
A few honourable mentions go to Goliath (SFGAM), Shambhala, Wodan, New Texas Giant, Big One.

Peet

Giga Poster
Hyperion - the first drop is brilliant; you are out of your seat the whole way down, and I am a sucker for drops that go into a tunnel.

EGF has a brilliant first drop too as you are ejected upwards and sideways at the same time.

Special mention to Oblivion too, just for the depth of the tunnel; it's easy to forget that entering the ground vertically is something that has never been done before or since.

I don't know why, but the drops on Red Force (the largest drop I have done) and Stealth just don't do anything for me.

Matt N

CF Legend
I don't know why, but the drops on Red Force (the largest drop I have done) and Stealth just don't do anything for me.
I don't know about you, but I find that the drop on Stealth almost goes too fast for you to fully appreciate it, if you get what I mean; perhaps that's it?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Lost Gravity for me. It's crazy wherever you are, and absolutely insane on the outermost seat.

Hyperion is up there too for the sheer scale of it - absolutely brilliant, super floaty and goes on for a long time. Lech is up there too, again tarnished a bit by the forcefulness as you reach the bottom/leave the drop.

Last edited:

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I love a good first drop, it can really make or break a coaster for me.

Some of my favourites, in no particular order...

Megafobia
Shambhala
Wodan
Mako
Flying Aces
Untamed
OzIris

James F

Hyper Poster
Probably the main drops of Karnan or Sheikra for me. A bit of airtime at the top and a lot of force and speed at the bottom!

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
You know, it's interesting how no one has mentioned RMC drops. I personally love them, in the back row, they are killer. As far as the RMC's under 45m, they're some of the few where you get pretty intense airtime relative to the front seat.

I see a lot of B&M/ Intamin Hyper and Giga coasters. I guess, goes to show, sometimes that drawn out, feels like it lasts forever, rather than a short, intense, ejector drop is just as compete-able.

I haven't ridden Steel Vengeance or Zadra. I'm surprised no one has put that.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
Twisted Colossus has something about it where it feels slightly too steep and I always seem to end up feeling like I'm standing in my seat as we go over. Can't wait to get back there in October.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

cookie

Giga Poster
In no particular order:
  • Kärnan's drop out of the tower (some huge forces at the bottom and a fitting climax to the best segment of the ride)
  • Wildfire's big drop
  • Balder's first drop (love how it banks and gives some good air in the back)
  • Helix's dive after the top hat
  • Silver Star's first drop
  • Krake and Valkyria's first drop
  • Bakken's Rutschebanen's second double drop when they still had the brakeman trains (insane ejector)
  • Main drop on Atlantica SuperSplash (if Chiapas was a coaster it'd go here too)
  • Jetline's drawn-out descent into the tunnel

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Skyrush's first drop is my fave. Others I love are MF, EGF, El Toro and Fury.
MF's drop is still really good but having re ridden it, it's probably not as good as the rest.
Putting Steel Vengance's drop in here as well now and Outlaw Run too. Seems as if the RMC's I had ridden weren't the pinnacle of first drops for them.

Also, Time Traveller's drop is bonkers, and Hyperion's is badass, so they go in the list. Maybe Lech too.

Skyrush still takes the good sized biscuit though, back row you just know you're in for a hell of a ride as the back is dragged over.