What's new

Favoured blade for shaving.

What do you use to shave with?

• Cut-Throat (Straight) razor

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Safety Razor with removable blades

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Bic type nasty disposable razor that removes as much flesh as it does stubble.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Fancy removable head type razor with a min of 2 blades, but preferably 20, and a battery.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Electric/Battery Shaver

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I have a beard/fierce facial hair

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Waxing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other type of facial hair removing device I've stupidly missed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
One of my friends is considering buying one of these:
41tqX0YyLCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and it got me talking about shaving equipment.

I also recently read an article about shaving, there was some mention on here about shaving and cold water and my belief is that you should always use warm water - however the experts in shaving are divided and my own shaving technique is so far off the "recommended" that it was an argument I thought it best to keep out of - hint here, if you want to engage in an argument because of something you believe research it before opening your gob and actually make sure you have a firm standing.

Anyway, I think this is something that most people quickly fall into a habit with. They discover a razor or technique that works for them and they go with it for a long time.

So, how do you remove your stubble?

p.s. I did think about adding a "I'm too young to shave" option to make the poll unbiased towards those smooth cheeked or bum-fluff enriched, but tough I'm having a grown up poll :p

I use a straight razor but this is a great topic as it is now "movember"
I won't be shaving for whole month XD which may turn out really badly for me as i can't grow much facial hair.

I'm impressed, they scare the crap out of me, I just couldn't use one!

I'm not taking part in Movember, I'm such a crap tag-a-longer :p

Though I did consider a full facial covering a few weeks ago, but my beard is thick, wild and oddly ginger (and grey now too :( )

Electric for me, quicker and easier. Got bored of nicking myself with a disposable razor and faffing around with shaving foam. **** using that thing in the picture though, might as well just buy a cheap pencil sharpener and paint the bathroom red.

I'll use one of those Gillette mach fusion orange thing 6987 that has 70 blades and swappable heads because that one you pictured is scary as are cuthroats...

I either use a standard electric shaver, or a disposable razor, but not one of the **** bic ones like you describe. The ones I have are somewhere between one of those and a proper multi-blade razor.

Not supporting Movember, but still not shaved in a while. I need to. :p

I considered not shaving during November, but then realised that I have a few nights out planned this month and don't want to look like a tramp. Aside from a little stubble (and perhaps a Hitler moustache), facial hair doesn't suit me.

Anyway, I use a cheapo Bic razor. I wash my face with an exfoliating liquid soap (very important if using a disposable!), then apply shaving foam/gel (whatever is on offer) and then shave using warm water. Then I moisturise. Job done.

I never got on with an electric razor. There's something more natural and satisfying about using a blade.

I have Bic razors, cause, I bought like, 20 for a pound last Ghosterforce when I noticed I had bumfluff, but, they actually burn my face off, and I end up rolling around on the floor.

So, honestly, I steal my mum's leg razor when I have a shower and just use that. It works so...

Ben said:
So, honestly, I steal my mum's leg razor when I have a shower and just use that. It works so...
I know for a fact that your Mum doesn't use that on her legs bbz. [/obviousjoke]

Electric, or else my face would literally be broken. Never cut myself, but I've yet to find a blade that doesn't pull the hair instead of just cutting it. And the ridiculous routine it requires to shave properly can also **** off. And I don't like having a close shave anyway, because then I look 12. There is something nice about a proper shave sometimes, but I'm always met with misbehaving face of woe.

Electric for me!

To be fair, I've never used a proper razor. Always had an electric one. It seems much easier than faffing about with shaving cream and all that.

I know it's not for face shaving, but I used Soleil blades, they smell like lavender and have moisturising strips so make everything lovely and smooth and nice smelling =]

I used to be scared of using blades so used electric, but then I tried using blade and it did so much better, never gone back.

Now I use that gilette pro glide one, I was very cynical about the marketing Bol***ks they go on with but having tried a few I've found it's the most comfortable.

As for foam/gel etc, I use nivea's cool kick range (icy fresh!) and the king of shaves stuff can go die, I looked like I'd had a fight with a hedgehog when I used it! Lol

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

I normally have a thick beard, so when I have to trim it I just pull out a few hairs.
If I want to start again, only an electric one can handle my beard. :wink:

I use an electric one because it's quicker (Though I'm more than capable of using a razor, even the crappy BIC ones).

I also appreciate it for the fact that its not 100% clean, so you still get that nice shadow that says "I make an effort to groom, but I'm not a prepubescent".

Hixee said:
or a disposable razor, but not one of the **** bic ones like you describe. The ones I have are somewhere between one of those and a proper multi-blade razor.

I had that in the poll, but it made the line too long and screwed up the formatting, but yeah, those too :)

I use Gillette Blue II at the moment. I used to use Gillette Sensor Excel, then I tried Gillette Mach 3 (you may notice I'm a Gillette man :p ). I found bankruptcy unappealing so stopped using the fancier ones.

I found that the better razors gave a more comfortable shave (ie, you don't really notice you're shaving), but it was no closer and nicked me as much as the cheaper Blue IIs (nicking isn't something I really suffer from though maybe once every two or three shaves).

So for cost purposes, I stopped using the replaceable blades. I've tried a few different brands too but found that they either didn't shave close, or (like the really cheap blades like Bics, or Asda/Tesco double blade systems) they're really uncomfortable to use (and the chance of a cut is at least one per shave).

Not wanting to add extra polls onto this poll, but how many people go against the grain, or did you all learn to shave from Lethal Weapon? ;)

I've got a nasty combination of a sensitive neck and a strong and fast-growing beard!

Hence over the years I've tried everything I can get my hands on.

Disposable razors can't cope.

Electric razors can't cope either and cut me to shreds - and I've tried cheap ones, expensive ones, wet, dry, lubricated...no joy.

Gillette razors for some reason can't cope either - they last for about 2 shaves and then die.

The only happy shaving experience I get is with Wilkinson Sword - I have 2 of them on the go:-
  • Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 - expensive blades, but it's a comfortable shave, and I can make 1 head last for weeks!
  • Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium - bit cheaper than the Hydro, not quite as comfy, but works fine and again the heads last a while.

But it's not just about the blades - it's the technique as well!

furie said:
Not wanting to add extra polls onto this poll, but how many people go against the grain, or did you all learn to shave from Lethal Weapon?
My carefully-honed approach is:-
  • Wash neck/face in HOT water, to open the pores and soften the beard.
  • Apply some slippy gel wash stuff to neck/face - whatever I can get that's a) cheap or on offer, and b) is fairly thick (currently it's some yellow King of Shaves gel that was half-price).
  • Splash a bit more water on neck/face, but don't wash the gel off.
  • Apply shaving gel & lather in - has to be gel (currently Gillette Fusion).
  • Shave DOWN face & neck.
  • Splash water on & apply rest of shaving gel in my hand.
  • Shave SIDEWAYS (carefully!) - this is the only way I can hack my beard down sufficiently, and going up wrecks my neck!
  • Tidy-up any stray bits around mouth.
  • Splash water on (still fairly hot).
  • Spread dregs of shaving gel on neck/face immediately - this stops my neck from burning.
  • Rinse neck/face with FREEZING COLD water - this closes the pores & stops neck burning. It also wakes me up :p.
  • DRY THE BLADE - essential for long blade-life.

If I leave it more than a day, I have trouble shaving off the growth.

If I leave it more than 3 days, I look like a psychotic Neanderthal and get barracked by everyone to get rid of it! :)

I use Gillette three-blade disposables. They're blue, and have the nice aloe (or whatever) lubricating strips and the heads have a bit of movement in them.

I used to use Mach3 Turbo, but replacing the blades was getting expensive. It worked out loads cheaper to buy the disposables (which last pretty much as long) and they're always in the 4+1 packs at the shop too. Plus they have those little plastic blade covers too, which are handy for travelling when you've got it in your wash bag, so you don't either smash all the lubricant stuff off it, or slice your fingers when delving in for something else!

I've never had an electric shave.

I've also stopped using foam/gel/oil. I just use loads of water, and shave after having a hot shower. It's really no different!

You SHOULD use warm water, because if you're cold when you shave then you get goosebumps and it gives you really bad razor burn, especially on your legs! I use something with like three blades, but not something super fancy where it sets me back a bazillion dollars. Ask anyone who has traveled with me (Brad, he knows all about it haha) about my razor OCD.. I literally have to throw them away every two seconds and use a fresh one because I HATE hair. Even the non-disposable razors are basically one use only in my opinion.

But yah.. A three day trip to Amsterdam somehow required four razors. So it doesn't really matter for me as long as it's not only one blade.