What's new

Favorite Woody?

Jer

Strata Poster
Err it's a tie between Phoenix and Boulder Dash, both are just unpredictable, fun, and infinitely reridable.

Nic

Strata Poster
My experience of woodies is extremely limited *fnarr* but I think I'd have to say Troy (TROY!) I just had so much fun on it, it was fabulous. I'm gutted I was aching so much at Efteling *glares at Toverland's high ropes course* as I get the feeling Joris & Draak could be equally fun, but I was just in too much pain to enjoy them.

I'm glad Jordan mentioned Grand National, because I always forget it when it comes to this kind of thing, yet I absolutely adore it. Again, it's fun from start to finish, and the racing element really does add to the experience.

Of course, PBB's Wild Mouse gets an honourable mention. It's kind of in a different category to other woddies, but I do love it. The whole thing is so ridiculous, it's amazing. I really couldn't imagine ever visiting the park without riding it (of which the same can't be said of Dipper or NickStreak)

I really need to get on some of the more highly rated woodies. See what all the fuss is about.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How have I not actually given my be-all-and-end-all opinion in this topic yet?

1. Boulder Dash - Terrain + ridiculous airtime = perfection
2. T Express - Ridiculous first drop and hill and a million smaller, airtime-filled hills
3. El Toro - but only just behind T Express. The big airtime moments are better, but there's less to it as a whole.

andrus

Giga Poster
After the US-live and Troy is still number one! Boulder Dash was good, but not that good.. Phoenix was amazing, but I still think I slightly prefer the relentless speed and intensity of Troy! :) **** El Toro for spiting us though...

andrus

Giga Poster
^El Toro was closed the whole day for maintenance when we visited.. We tried to get to SFGAdv later on as well on the afternoon after we visited SFGA, but heavy traffic and a malfunctioning GPS device made sure we couldn't :(

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My favourite wood is still Ravine Flyer II.

Boulder Dash did not meet expectations. I appreciate we didn't ride it in the best of conditions according to those who'd been on it before, but it was nothing like I expected, not even close. There was barely any airtime. It was fast, but there was barely any directional changing madness to make that worth anything. I believe it improves, but I find it hard to stretch that it improves enough to become best in the world.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's such a shame Joey. I understand though because I would repeat exactly what you said and replace it with Phoenix. It wasn't just that I didn't get anything from it, but I also couldn't even see how it would be possible to get anything from it either - I just couldn't even see where the potential could be.

It's frustrating when everyone talks about how great it was, but I've had much, much better rides on Rollercoaster at Blackpool than I did on Phoenix. In fact, I suspect even Zipper Dipper/Blue Flyer rates higher than Phoenix for me - it really did so little.

It's so annoying that rides can vary so massively.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
It's a real shame that Boulder Dash doesn't seem to be performing well at the moment.

I initially saw the Facebook posts about people being disappointed by the ride, and didn't understand why. It's one of the few rides I'd say is actually impossible to over hype - when it's running well, the ride really is in a class of its own, and for me nothing else has ever come close. Then I saw Jerry's post about having never had such a poor ride on it, and realized that something was badly wrong.

I'm not going to say it should necessarily be the number one ride for every single person - different people expect different things from a coaster. That said, for a typical group I'd expect well over half to have that ride at #1, and the ride to be in the top 3 for most of the rest. The fact that is isn't even in some people's top 10s says volumes to me about just how badly it must have been running. I hope it's only temporary.

If anyone who rode it recently and was disappointed gets the chance to go back and experience the ride at its best, do it. It's worth it. Trust me.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Thunderhead at Dollywood or The Beast at Kings Island. Since it's at my home park, I would say that Son of Beast actually ranked up there. As painful as it was, it was kind of why it was fun. XD There's something about pulling into the brakes after rampaging through that giant course and having the snot beat out of you that just can't be explained.