What's new

Favorite dark ride shooters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm not competitive when I go on these rides, I couldn't care less about my score or who beats who. I'd rather sit and watch the animatronics as if it were a ghost train or something.

Besides, I only ride them at CF-Lives when I know I can shoot the lasers at the eyes of other members. I spent an entire ride of Tomb Blaster shooting my laser all over Beans' face, occasionally getting some in her eyes. I don't think she enjoyed it as much as what I did. :lol:

Erm, silliness aside, I like the ones with alternative endings depending on your score, so I have to agree with this...
KristofWB said:
my favorite is Challenge of Tutankhamon in Walibi Belgium.

It's amazing!

ilovenemesis

Roller Poster
Tomb blaster at chessington, its fun and some parts are a bit 'scary', but not too much that it scares the little kids to death. :--D

andrus

Giga Poster
Reset at Mirabilandia is by far the best I've been on! :) Heavy theming with a great apocalypse feeling, cars that you can spin yourself, nice special effects and precise lazers!

I rank Duel as second best, the rest I've been on have actually been quite rubbish..

coaster_mad

Roller Poster
As Ian said, I'm not a competitive person with these rides. However I like trying to get a good score, but only to see whether I'm any good, I don't do it to beat anyone and I'm not bothered if someone beats me.

That aside, my favourite dark shooting ride would have to be Men In Black: Alien Attack, though I haven't been on many others to compare. The spinning is fun, it's much easier to get a high score and I like the part where you get to shoot the other teams car which sends them spinning!

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Th crazy one at Terra Mitica was awesome... another one of these ones with alternative endings depending on your score and if you saved some woman...

Ollie

CF Legend
I just LOVE Duel. I could ride it for ages. I'm also rather good at it with my high score being 96,000 and something. And my highest on Tomb Blaster is 36,500 I think.
I do love good dark rides. Some are really tacky but I still enjoy them. Tom Blaster gets a bit boring after a few rides as it's quite slow paced. But Duel just has things constantly happening and you don't know which direction you're going to turn next and the pace of the car speeds up and slows down.

The only other shooting dark ride I've been on is the Buzz Lightyear one in DLRP. It was alright. I liked the way you could spin the car with the stick as you could face different directions and also make you're friends miss targets. I dislike it being a continues conveyor or cars though like Phantom Manor. It makes it seem a bit dull but I can see why they do it for throughput.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
I'm also rather good at it with my high score being 96,000 and something. And my highest on Tomb Blaster is 36,500 I think.

EVERYONE gets higher scores on Duel, mainly as they just took handfuls of LEDs and just threw them against the walls when they refurbished it, making it easy to get good scores even with your eyes closed...

Plus yellow targets...

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah but coming off and looking at everyone else's scores they average around 40-60k. It's easier to get a higher score in Duel as well as you don't have about 40 people going for the same targets at once.
Also got to mention it's soundtrack. <3

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Well Tomb Blaster's really cool, and Duel's ace because it's Duel.

Buzz Lightyear's novelty has worn off VERY quickly. Toy Story Mania's dead good because the whole family can ride it and enjoy it as much as each other, which is very rare.

I don't like Men In Black because I always suck at it.

Laser Raiders at Legoland is dead good, I'm suprised nobody else has mentioned it yet.

With my enthusiast hat on, I'd say Laser Raiders is the best in the country and Men In Black the best I've ridden internationally.

Personal preference, I have a MEGA soft spot for Duel. Which sucks. But I also really like Tomb Blaster as well, as well as Toy Story Mania for the family factor.

Wow, that was a post full of clarity. I'm going to play the cards on Toy Story Mania, for the family factor and the fact it can be changed and updated so easily.

cp23

Mega Poster
Both Tomb Blaster and Duel are fun, but neither is anywhere near as good as the rides they replaced (Terror Tomb and The Haunted House). Bring back Terror Tomb (or better still 5th Dimension!!!).

Not sure what my favourite would be - Abenteuer Atlantis at Europa-Park was good fun, although the most impressive one I've been on was Men in Black. Could never seem to hit the targets, though!

TilenB

Strata Poster
Reset in Mirabilandia is amazing, then it is closely followed by Abenteuer Atlantis. I've also ridden the one in Gardaland, but it's catastrophic

nadroJ

CF Legend
This is actually a good topic to resurrect haha.

I really love Duel, mainly because it's one of the only kinds of this type of ride where I feel like I'm actually shooting something?

The American ones were generally a bit poo, the Hersheypark one was gash in a bag, the one at KD was meh but the one at Lake Compounce was jokes! "WANNA BEAR HUG?!"

The Buzz ones are fun but always break down so cheating happens and Men In Black is good because of the high budget theming but I don't like the fact that the aliens have no physical target attached to them [/anal].

So yeah, Duel <3

nadroJ

CF Legend
^See, I found Huntik to be massively overrated, I wish they'd just left it as a dark ride instead on adding the shooting element, I found it a bit cluttered.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Tbh, after the tunnel sequence screen, I didn't care less about whether or not the shooting aspect was any good or not...

I felt it just combined the 3D extremely well with some stand-out scenes, some lovely themed sets, and some laggy shooting sequences... But as an overall product it was certainly superior to Ramses and Reset (with Ramses being awesome as well, Reset I felt wasn't that great)...

Frank

Roller Poster
bezzzzzer said:
Laser Raiders at Legoland is dead good, I'm suprised nobody else has mentioned it yet.

Yes! The ride itself is great, but the building is poorly thought out. The train goes straight through the queue :s Strangely vague lasers, too (I guess to make it more accessible for the kids). Love the animatronics on it.

I still think Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast at Disneyland Paris is my favourite. Fantastic animatronics (crazy animated faces and everything!) and dat Nine-eye cameo :cool: