What's new

Fastest Wooden Roller Coaster?

D1993

Hyper Poster
I know this may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering what the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world is.

I know that it used to be son of beast (also tallest), but obviously now it isnt.
I though that meant that Colossos at Heide park then became the fastest and tallest wooden roller coaster in the world, and that el toro was 2nd.
For some reason, between voyage, t express, boulder dash, texas giant and all the other crazy wooden roller coasters in the world, I never thought that El Toro was the fastest.

Is El Toro indeed the fastest wooden coaster in the world?
I checked rcdb, but it didnt even have Colossos' speed or rank listed for some reason.

Snoo

The Legend
According to RCDB:

Those guys said:
The Heide-Park Soltau website lists the top speed of the Colossos at 120 km/h. This statistic is mathematically impossible if the drop is indeed 48.5 m which could only produce a top speed of about 110 km/h.

Well.. 68mph is still only second fastest. Until SoB is operational again.. and unless I'm missing something.. Toro is still the fastest woodie.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Texas Giant isn't a wooden coaster either... ;)

Ben

CF Legend
See, I've always thought that maybe the drop on Colossos is taller than RCDB says it is.

Pure speculation here, but, the difference between lift and drop is about 40ft on RCDB, which is a chunk, but, the land looks quite flat...

http://rcdb.com/988.htm?p=4783

Doesn't look like it goes up natural terrain. And the drop goes to the ground pretty much.

http://rcdb.com/988.htm?p=13736

So I've always wondered about that, always struck me as a bit odd that it loses 40ft somewhere. But, then, where would that drop statistic have come from?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I've never noticed that either. I don't it loses 40ft from the top of the lift to the first drop, 10ft maybe, not 40...

My only other thought was that the station might be lower, but looking at the pictures (and like you said) the ground looks quite flat so I don't know if that would account for the 40ft either.

Interestingly, if the drop was the full 196ft (which it's not) they'd get about 120km/h out of it, but that's assuming no friction, free-fall and all that jazz, so even if the drop was the full lift height the 120km/h figure seems too high.

Martyn B

CF Legend
With how specific them stats are, I'd say they came from the manufacturer. But yeah, that doesn't seem right somehow (same can be said for the Jubilee Odyssey, according to RCDB, the first drop is nearly 30ft shorter than the lift, though I can't find a pic to prove otherwise.)

XYZ

Roller Poster
El Toro's speed in kilometers is roughly 112 km and Colossos is around 110 km to 120 km, so really it is unknown who is faster.

Jake

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
With how specific them stats are, I'd say they came from the manufacturer. But yeah, that doesn't seem right somehow (same can be said for the Jubilee Odyssey, according to RCDB, the first drop is nearly 30ft shorter than the lift, though I can't find a pic to prove otherwise.)

Well, 26ft, which isn't that much. Isn't Jubes above other stuff? I know there's a Go Kart track under some of it, but not the first drop... it's generally raised up a bit though. PLUS it's an Invert, so the track isn't going to go right down to the ground ANYWAY...

cvpd82ob001dr5ml9hsm0p.jpg

I know you can't see the bottom of the first drop, but you can see that the track after the loop is quite high, and by the shape of the loop I'm guessing it's the same the other side...

26ft isn't much anyway.

Regarding Colossos... yeah, there's no way that's 40ft. I guess Toro has a really fast lift, which might add on a couple of MPH?

Brett7710

Mega Poster
^I'm sure I read on here recently that Toro's lift hill was slowed down when it gets to the top a little while after it opened. I wonder if the speed listed on RCDB is before or after that change?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, this is an inadvertent timely thread - Goliath at SFGA now takes the cake at 72 mph.

Still slower than SoB, but fastest none the less.

Mike

Giga Poster
I don't understand how people can claim Goliath (or any wood-steel hybrids) as wooden coasters? It's clearly a hybrid, which I always thought was in its own category. :?

jolash

Mega Poster
Mike said:
I don't understand how people can claim Goliath (or any wood-steel hybrids) as wooden coasters? It's clearly a hybrid, which I always thought was in its own category. :?

It's not a hybrid though. The train still rides on wooden rails (with a thin piece of metal where the wheels ride) like every other wooden coaster you've ever ridden. I don't like it anymore than you do, but it's a wooden coaster.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Coastin Eric

Roller Poster
Hades 360 is 70 mph. Is that still technically the fastest until Goliath comes out? I know it's steel supports but that doesn't really classify it as hybrid for me.

Taxi

Mega Poster
Coastin Eric said:
Hades 360 is 70 mph. Is that still technically the fastest until Goliath comes out? I know it's steel supports but that doesn't really classify it as hybrid for me.
Hades 360 reaches a top speed of 60mph. IDK where you got 70.

1. Goliath 72mph
2. El Toro 70mph
3. Outlaw Run 68mph
4. Colossos ≤68mph