What's new

Family day out, Knotts Berry VS. SFMM

Better family day out (Please read topic post before answering)

• Knotts Berry Farm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Six Flags Magic Mountain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJM

Roller Poster
'Ello folks, some of you may remember me from yonks ago. Basically, I'm going to LA with the family this summer, and we only have time to go to SFMM or Knotts Berry. I personally feel that Knotts Berry would be the better choice considering I have an 11 year old sister and we're looking for more of a relaxed, nice day out. I haven't been to either parks before so I don't know which one is better on any level really. I've heard that SFMM is unthemed and half-baked, full up with bright, sickly rides, cattle pens and teenage groups but how do Knotts' coasters fair against SFMM's? I mean a lot of them all look the same over at SFMM, just a bunch of twisted track plonked on some ground. But is it the same at Knotts? My view is obviously a bit bias towards Knotts as I think it's more themed and family friendly. But which park is best to go to if you're with your family.

Please base opinions on character, rides, theme, atmosphere, lines, customer service, and places to eat (as I'm constantly hungry just thinking about American food, and want to get the best out of it :p).

Cheers!
Richard.

Go to Magic Mountain!

Knotts has a lot of coasters aimed toward families, but your family will still be able to find quite a bit to do at Magic Mountain, not to mention the fact they have a lot more coasters for your tastes as well.

RJM

Roller Poster
Come onnnn surely more people have been to these parks? Seriously need some more feedback, I don't wanna' make a bad decision...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
How coaster oriented is your family RJM?

If you guys are looking for balls out thrill rides, SFMM would be the obvious choice.

Knott's has its fair share of thrill rides and decent coasters, but it is definitely more family-oriented relaxed atmosphere.

Maverix

Mega Poster
I actually preferd Knotts better. SFMM has a big hill in the middle of the park which is a bitch to climb IMO. Knotts was a great family park, nice atmosphere, some good themes, some good and great coasters, friendly staff, and (when I was there in March) no lines. If you do go to Knotts for food, go to the TGI Fridays across the street, and get your hand stamped so you can get back in. The food is better then in the park and cheeper too.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I've been to both with my family in March & we were just discussing going back to L.A. in October. I penciled in a day at Knotts and both the wife & kid asked why are we going back there again. They said they would rather spend 2 days at SFMM than a day at each, but I explained that the day I chose Knotts is the day we're flying back home, so they agreed that it would be worth a couple of hours there, but no more.
I think that says it all right there.
The other reason to pick SFMM over Knotts is the locals. You don't want to be at Knotts on a weekend when all the homeys show up.
Go to SFMM if you can only do one.

Rush

Giga Poster
I haven't been to SFMM, but Knott's is the worst theme park I've been to.

There is no atmosphere, it's very generic and bland, it's dirty, the staff are really rude and unhelpful. (Except on Xcelerator.) It's got a lot of good family rides, but it's really not the place you want to spend a day in. If you're on your own, do Xcelerator and run. Xcelerator IS the only reason I would ever go back to that dump.

peely

Roller Poster
Been to both in sucessive days. Knotts is ok, but the odds of Xcellerator being open are slim, and Ghost Rider is overrated.. You only need to spend a few hours at Knotts.

Id choose SFMM by a mile. Lots of coasters. Lots to do as well in comparison and more importantly most of the coasters will be open.

No comparison really..

marc

CF Legend
Been to both parks, go to SFMM.

Knotts was ok for a few hours but thats about it tbh. I personally did not like the park, 2 rides are good but thats about it.

If I went back to LA again Knotts would be the park I skip even though they have a new coaster, there is just nothing there I wish to see again.

We were there last April, the park was dead yet the ride ops still took ages to dispatch half empty trains. There was no atmosphere in the park it just lacked everything, the people that were there were rude and banged into you in the queue line. The rides are lame there is nothing there that you can call great. Plus Ghostrider will beat you all up.

SFMM is a nice park, lots of rides and enough there for all ages. I would not say its my favorite park by a long way but there is enough for 2 days. Plus they have a new coaster.

Half of SFMM is nice, green well kept etc. But once you pass Ninja then you end up with flat tarmac which is a shame. But there really is enough for the whole family to do as long as you all like coasters. At 11 years old I would have done everything in the park and loved it.

A

Anonymous

I've only been to Knotts and i went on Friday during the day with my school
when i was there the logest lines were for on the water rides, sivler bullet, & xcelerator
i had alot of fun while i was there and my favorite ride was either supreme scream or Montezooma's revenge
ghost rider was kinda fun but was really rough

RJM

Roller Poster
The mother has booked for Knotts already... Couldn't ****ing wait could she... Ahh well, I'm sure I'll go to the better of the two some day.

Thanks for your help guys.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Be sure to let us know how the trip goes in the Trip Report section!

Status
Not open for further replies.