What's new

Extreme / Thrill / Family count

Peet

Giga Poster
Another topic for those of us who love to play with our spreadsheets - I recently added a "scale" column to mine, mirroring the rcdb scale field ie. Extreme, Thrill or Family (rcdb also has Kiddie but it's unclear what the distinction is between Family and Kiddie - in fact some wacky worms are Family and some are Kiddie, so I'm just lumping it all in as Family).

Here's my breakdown for each category:
1629319577878.png
Note I don't follow rcdb exactly - there are some coasters where this field is blank so I made my own judgement, and there are also one or two where I disagree, for example Dragon at Energylandia is listed as Family, probably because it's described as an SFC by Vekoma, but it definitely packs enough of a punch to be considered Thrill.

Anyone else care to work out your count breakdown by scale?

Edit, for comparison, here's the global breakdown from rcdb:
1629320260587.png

Matt N

CF Legend
Fun topic idea @Peet!

For me, I’ve done 79 coasters, and using the RCDB classifications, the split is as follows:
  • Extreme: 31 (39.2% of count)
  • Thrill: 25 (31.6% of count)
  • Family: 22 (27.8% of count)
  • Kiddie: 0 (0% of count)
  • Unclassified: 1 (Wilde Maus XXL, if you’re wondering) (1.3% of count)
Rather interestingly, my most ridden categories go in ascending order of thrill level, with Extreme being my most ridden category and Kiddie being my least ridden category (no kiddie coasters ridden!). Unless you count unclassified as a category, in which case that beats kiddie…

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
RCDB's system is a bit off in places, but generally speaking I've just blindly followed their system:

Extreme Intensity - 332 [48%]
Thrill Intensity - 181 [26%]
Family Intensity - 181 [26%]

I grouped Kiddie into Family, as those were some of the most dubious.

Will

Strata Poster
I don't actually have this column on my spreadsheet - and I'm curious to know, so maybe I'll add it in next time I can't sleep!!

Will

Strata Poster
Update... this passed a few merry hours.
Still don't understand why there's so many unknowns.

scale.JPG

Not having got a new 'Extreme' coaster since October 2019 also offends me.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Still don't understand why there's so many unknowns.
Indeed, a complete mystery to me too. Surely that wouldn't take more than an hour or so to go through and classify them...? For the "unclassified" ones in my count I just assigned them one myself - it's pretty obvious which one they should be.

Will

Strata Poster
A bit more info for the stattos, the curious and the bored...
unknown.JPG

manu.JPG

(That's also just reminded me to update my gas/electricity spreadsheet...
I also wish I could use this when prospective employers want to test my data analysis skills!)