What's new

Expoland to close for good.

A

Anonymous

Expoland to close 21 months after fatal roller coaster disaster+

(Japan Economic Newswire Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) OSAKA, Feb. 10_(Kyodo) _ The Expoland amusement park in Osaka Prefecture said Tuesday it will end its 37-year history in large debts due to a decline in the number of visitors following a fatal roller coaster accident in May 2007...
Source.

Not really surprised by this news, I just hope that they find a new home for the B&M and the Togo Wildstorm, since they were both ace.
I'm also happy that I was able to get the credits there when I visited the place during the 2007 TPR trip.

Ben

CF Legend
Awww, I hope the B&M gets moved, I quite wanted the credit (saying that like I'm going to Japan any time soon...).

But, I'm not surprised, being Japan and all, and that being so nasty an accident.

A

Anonymous

^ They were closed down for quite a bit after the accident, but then reopened for a while, and then closed again with hopes to reopen sometime in the future. But it now looks like they have tossed in the towel for good.

Orochi is a pretty good coaster, I have a feeling that it might be better then Raptor (haven't ridden it) since they don't have any brakes at all on the MCBR, which makes the train just fly through the second half.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Not really surprised by this news, I just hope that they find a new home for the B&M and the Togo Wildstorm, since they were both ace.
A Raptor clone being ace? How could that happen! :lol:

Anyways, that's pretty sad that they're throwing in the towel all together.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
loefet said:
Orochi is a pretty good coaster, I have a feeling that it might be better then Raptor (haven't ridden it) since they don't have any brakes at all on the MCBR, which makes the train just fly through the second half.
Realize, Raptor's MCBR is not active either.

Saying there's a drastic difference is like saying that by drinking 10 cans of diet coke a day you are looking to lose weight. :razz:

spicy

Giga Poster
If its not activated why have a MCBR at all then?

Shame its closing down but they kind of had no choice. The japanese won't visit a place if there has been any sort of accident, let alone a fatal one as bad as this. Thats why Steel Dragon 2000 was SBNO for so long.

-1 more park from the world

A

Anonymous

spicy said:
If its not activated why have a MCBR at all then?
Because it's a clone of one that have.
The fun thing is Orochi had brakes on it's MCBR at first (you can see them on pictures at RCDB), but when I rode it in 2007 then they had for some reason removed them leaving just a straight piece of track.

Ollie

CF Legend
Is this the park where the pole thing on the coaster snapped and the carriage fell or something? Still it's a shame the whole park has suffered because of it.

A

Anonymous

^ Too bad that they don't have the Togo Wildstorm on there, I would seriously buy it if I only had the money for it. Since it really kicks ass!!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think they were doing pretty badly anyway before the accident even happened. I'm not surprised, but was hoping there would be at least some chance of it reopening so I'd get a chance to ride what I missed last time.

Still, at least I managed to ride Daidarasaurus. :roll:

Hopefully, Orochi stays in Japan!

luke8

Mega Poster
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Orochi was dismantled and put in storage about 2 months ago now, so this was always going to happen.

Another park gone!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Screaming Coasters said:
Well Orochi is actually for sale via a 3rd party company, on behalf of Expoland

It's disappeared from that site. That could mean that it's now been sold. Either that, or it's being sold through another company now.

Hmmm.....