What's new

Expectations vs. Reality

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Ok, I seriously hope to not offend anybody with this thread because I want to discuss this in good fun, but...

s85fijjz.png

what are the best examples of when we as Coaster Enthusiasts have been proven magically wrong? I've now read through a bunch of ride construction threads (preferably dutch ones. Fenix, Baron, Lost Gravity) and so far, every one of them has gone through the CoasterForce methamorphosis of anticipation -> extreme disappointment over vague information -> resignation over confirmed information -> rebuilding hype over first pictures -> insane anticipation before opening -> reasonable verdict. I'm not sure I have encountered a theme that reoccurs this precisely and perfectly in any community I have ever been on :p

I'm not even excluding myself from that one. Two months ago, I was totally convinced by the possibility of F.L.Y. opening this season. At this point, I'm wondering about how ridiculously stupid I was, because now it seems to be super obvious how that can't be the case. Well, hindsight is always 20/20 they say. But what's the reason so many enthusiasts seem to be so interested in judging stuff way too early, on way too little information, just to being proven wrong over and over again? Again, I'm just trying to, I don't know, "explore" this reoccurence in good fun because it's really freaking funny.

James F

Hyper Poster
I suppose it's natural for enthusiasts to hype things up in excitement. After all as roller coaster enthusiasts the prospect of a new major coaster is almost certainly positive. I believe there are three groups. A = the ones who hype it up and remain extremely positive, no matter what. B = the group who have reservations, but have a positive attitude towards the ride and C = the all out cynics, who are hardly ever impressed. You can call me on my bull:emoji_poop: if you like, but that's what I see. Of course we all switch between these groups depending on how we view the ride on our own personal preferences. For example rides like Icon, Fenix and Twisted Cyclone I was firmly in camp A, but rides like Valkria and Wickerman I was in B and C because they don't excite me nearly as much as other new coasters this year.

On the subject of hype, one of the ways I have found to combat it is to repeatedly tell myself "it's going to be crap" despite how much I have anticipated it. It sounds silly, but it works. I have learnt not to over-hype things in my head since I first came off thirteen and waited 2 and a half hours.

Will

Strata Poster
I was recently proved wrong by Alton Towers, who fell short of even their own low standards during the Wickerman's opening weekend. I didn't think they'd risk another disaster, but they did it in style as WM was closed when it wasn't snowing and remained closed for a considerable amount of time after other rides had resumed normal operation.

As for parks that have failed to live up to expectations, Heide Park and Thorpe Park are the first to come into my head. Back in 2005, with Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, Slammer and a seemingly great selection of flat rides as well as the promise of ANOTHER new thrill coaster the following year, it looked like Thorpe was on the cards to overtake its Northern cousin as the UK's go-to theme park destination. In practice, the park was plagued by shameful reliability, lacklustre operations and all the atmosphere of an inner city pub at closing time. As for Heide, it was the park I was most excited to get to on my Germany trip last year, but in all honesty, I was ready to leave after 1 ride on each B&M, I was ready to leave - again, zero atmosphere and an alarming number of ride closures - I'm not sure even Colossos being in operation could have saved them last year.

Moving onto rides, Daemonen and Piraten looked like the most exciting offerings on the 2009 Germany & Denmark trip; the first was poor and overshadowed by many, many other rides on the trip, whilst the latter was uninspiring. By contrast, my expectations for Lynet, Fluch von Novgorod and Bakken were far exceeded. During the construction for Black Mamba and Os Izris, both looked like they could take the crown of being Europe's best, but both fell short, Mamba running out of steam towards the end and OsIriz simpling failing to deliver in the force department. I picked on Thorpe earlier, but as perennial under-achievers, I had no hope at all for The Swarm, which has proved to be their only saving grace in the last ten years.

I need to ride Icon a few more times before I decide if it belongs in this thread - it probably doesn't, but I was unlucky on the day of my visit, as long lines and frequent breakdowns put me off the whoring session I'd intended on and I ended up in the Velvet Coaster. There's also the argument that if a park like Europa, Liseberg, Phantasia or even Asterix (not a fan...) plans a ride, we're all guilty of automatically assuming it's going to be amazing just because of where it is - naturally, they'll let us down occasionally and have to deliver more to impress us than somewhere like Paultons, Drayton or Tripsdrill.

I'm sure I can think of more surprise packages and overhyped disappointments - I was right about Taron though, which I always thought looked very pretty but had an uninspiring layout - my opinion is controversial, but it remains :)