What's new

Efteling | Max & Moritz | Mack Powered Coasters

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
End for Bob in the Efteling in sight?
https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/847...ling-in-zicht-We-bekijken-alle-scenarios.html

Efteling in an interview with Looopings has said they are considering all available options for the future of their Bobsled coaster.

How long does the bobban in the Efteling still exist? The amusement park is currently watching what's happening in the future with the popular attraction. Upgrading and demolition are among the possibilities.

"We know that Bob does not have eternal life," a spokeswoman told Looopings. "The end of this lifespan will ever come in sight, so we are reviewing all possible scenarios."

The 32 year old bobbahn was recently closed due to technical problems. "We were pressed with the facts on our nose," the park said. Nowadays, the attraction is even closed when it rains.

The Efteling can choose to give the attraction a huge refurbishment/rebuild/upgrade, or completely demolish it and replace it with something new. "Are we going for temporary solutions or we take a rigorous decision at one time?" We are now thinking about it. "

According to the spokeswoman, Efteling fans do not have to fear that the bobsleigh will soon be demolished. "It's not going to be such a trip, and even when the Efteling replaces attractions, it's usually about the same experience. Back to the wooden roller coaster Pegasus, which was replaced by the racing wooden roller coaster George and the Dragon in 2010. "

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Bob is dated in some ways. Poor capacity and a little jolty. But it also has fun moments and it's a rare surviving example of a Giovanola/Intamin Bobsleigh though, so I would be sad to see it go.

I would like to have an upgraded replacement. Even an elaborate family coaster would be cool!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Wish people still built bobsled coasters; I really enjoy them. Hmmm. Would be sad to see it go especially as it's a relatively rare one.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Would much rather see the pile of turd they call Python knocked down before Bob...

I found a love for Bob during my stay this year that I didn't have last time. It's a neat family attraction which always seems to draw guests in. Though I guess it is getting on a bit, hasn't seen much investment in maintenance compared to Python and the land it occupies has a lot more opportunity than any others.

peep

CF Legend
I love this coaster so it'd be a shame to see it go. However maybe replacing it with something that has better capacity would be a good idea.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Not a big fan of Bob. It doesn't really do anything and it's always got a big queue. I actually prefer Python with its fab intense final helix.
*awaiting the hating*

jayjay

Giga Poster
It wasn't my favourite, but there's something so intriguing about it. Mostly that despite being (presumably) entirely safe, there's something terrifying about the way it slides.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
My very first coaster. It's still easily my fave bobsled style coaster because the Mack ones are quite boring.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Bob has been closed since 14 November with technical difficulties. However Efteling has announced the ride will not reopen until 1st April, saying that they would like to take their time with it as "it is an older and unique attraction, for which there are no standard solutions". "The Bob has been struggling with a lot of disruptions in recent months," says the information officer. "That is why we have decided to permanently close the attraction for a longer period of time, so that we have the time to look for a structural solution."
https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/9245/Bob-in-de-Efteling-blijft-voorlopig-gesloten.html

So it seems they hope to save Bob rather than demolish it.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Bob has reopened after an extended closure. Eftelflags says park officials have said the ride is now good for a year but then they will have to finally decide whether they carry out a Python style rebuild/refurbishment or replace it with an entirely new ride.

POV from opening day.

Matt N

CF Legend
Bob has reopened after an extended closure. Eftelflags says park officials have said the ride is now good for a year but then they will have to finally decide whether they carry out a Python style rebuild/refurbishment or replace it with an entirely new ride.

POV from opening day.
I thought the 2020 ride was going to be on a new plot of land that the park has never used before?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I thought the 2020 ride was going to be on a new plot of land that the park has never used before?
It will. This has nothing to do with the 2020 coaster and will have no effect on it. Should a new ride replace Bob that won't be coming until a later date.

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
I need to get back to Efteling before this closes, my only ride on it was marred by an e-stop at the end that really hurt!

I think the problem with bobsled coasters is that they're incredibly inefficient, so there's not a great deal you do with before it runs out of steam. A shame because I really love them :(

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Despite the extended closure for maintenance from November '17 to April '18 which was to ensure the ride would last another year, Bob has been running into problems again and has been closed since 7th June for work. It was to reopen on the 15th but that has now been delayed until 22nd June.
The amount of issues they are having with it, and how much money they will have been pouring into it, doesn't bode well for its future.

peep

CF Legend
Thanks for the update, doesn't sound too promising. It'd be sad to see it go but it'd rather they invest in something new than to continue to waste money on something with continuous issues.

cp23

Mega Poster
I have to say it's my favourite bobsled coaster of the three I've ridden by quite some margin (the other two being Blackpool's Avalanche and Europa's Schweizer Bobbahn). I would be very sad to see it go.