What's new

Efteling and Amsterdam

JamesB

Mega Poster
Hallo! So last week I took a solo trip to Amsterdam, a place I've wanted to go for a long time, one of the reasons being to visit Efteling. I will mainly focus on Efteling here and throw in some pretty photos of Amsterdam in the end for your enjoyment!

Efteling

Efteling was reasonably easy to get to from Amsterdam, you take a train from Centraal Station to Den Bosch and then catch either a shuttle bus (wasn't running on the day I went) or get the 300 bus which takes about 45 minutes.

First coaster of the day was Joris en de Draak a GCI woodie with two sides! Is it me or does Fire always seem to win? A fun, fast ride. 7/10

Second coaster and my 90th cred was Vliegende Hollander , whilst the indoor section was fab I was a little disappointed by the coaster part, it seemed to lack any force to it. The theming both inside and outside the building was amazing! 6/10

Third coaster was Bob I think, sorry no photos. It was rough as hell and just vile. 4/10

Numero four! Baron 1898... A fantastic ride experience from start to finish, I love the little details such as giving you a ticket. I think Efteling targeted the gap in their market perfectly with this coaster. 8/10

Fifth on the list was Python, sadly it hasn't aged well and even with the comfy vests it was still a rough ride. Shame because I really enjoyed the same model, Magic Mountain at Gardaland. 5/10

Final cred of the visit was Vogel Rok an indoor coaster, this was a lot of fun, picks up a good bit of speed and is a bit reminiscent of X:No Way Out. 7/10

Other notable rides/things...

Fatamorgana was a well themed boat ride and at one point you even go under a man with not a lot on...

Ravelijn is the new show at Efteling, produced by the people behind Puy de Foy I believe. The show was pretty good however I missed the headsets so had no idea what was happening storyline wise, however it was action packed and well presented.

Droomvlutch was an awesome suspended dark ride that took you through various fantasy scenes. Loved the ending of spinning down the Tarzan (?) scene.

Have a view from the Flying Island...

At the end of the day I caught the Aquanura show, which despite it still being light was really well done!

To finish have some pretty photos of Amsterdam, its a great city, the locals are so friendly and helpful!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Nice report. Ravelijn has a superb background. Surprised you didn't like Bob, I found it to be fairly smooth and enjoyable to ride.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's 13 years since I went to Efteling - there was no Baron, no Joris and no Hollander back then. High time I paid another visit methinks, looks like it's changed quite a lot in that time. Nice pictures dude!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Fab report!

Hoping to visit Amsterdam again at some point so I'll no doubt attempt to squeeze a trip to Efteling in. How busy was your visit?

JamesB

Mega Poster
Pink Panther said:
This brings back memories :D I'm glad you loved Droomvlucht, it's my favoruite non-Disney/Universal dark ride!

It really is a great ride, the theming and ambience of the rooms are amazing. I must admit the final scene threw me at first, I wasn't expecting the cars to go down the spiral so fast!

portemine said:
Nice report. Ravelijn has a superb background. Surprised you didn't like Bob, I found it to be fairly smooth and enjoyable to ride.

Yeah they've done a great job on Ravelijn. Bob was just very rough and shaky, I found the same with the one at Blackpool.

Howie said:
It's 13 years since I went to Efteling - there was no Baron, no Joris and no Hollander back then. High time I paid another visit methinks, looks like it's changed quite a lot in that time. Nice pictures dude!

I can imagine it must have been very different! You should definitely make a visit. The gift shop are selling a fantastic book on their 60th anniversary, its a great read. And thanks.

Sandman said:
Fab report!

Hoping to visit Amsterdam again at some point so I'll no doubt attempt to squeeze a trip to Efteling in. How busy was your visit?

Thanks! Yeah definitely go if you visit Amsterdam, its worth the journey. It wasn't too busy when I went, it wasn't the school holidays over there at the time. The longest queue was about 30 minutes, pretty good. I would recommend getting the credits like Hollander, Joris en de Draak and Baron before the park gets too busy.