What's new

Duel at Alton Towers closing on 6th September - retheme or refurbishment for 2023?

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Personally, I think the ride name is too long. "Hey, shall we go ride The Curse at Alton Manor?" or "do you want to go on The Curse at Alton Manor?" feels clunky to say. Can't imagine anyone using its full name in that context. A short, one-word title is always better for a ride imo.

I wonder what this ride name will inevitably be abbreviated to? The Curse? Alton Manor? Or simply: "neeeeeuuuurghhhh" (I vote the latter)

Sandman

Giga Poster
Personally, I think the ride name is too long. "Hey, shall we go ride The Curse at Alton Manor?" or "do you want to go on The Curse at Alton Manor?" feels clunky to say. Can't imagine anyone using its full name in that context. A short, one-word title is always better for a ride imo.

I wonder what this ride name will inevitably be abbreviated to? The Curse? Alton Manor? Or simply: "neeeeeuuuurghhhh" (I vote the latter)

"Hey, we should go and check out that ride The Curse at Alton Manor at Alton Towers"

Proper word salad there.

Besides, Alton Manor sounds like the Wish version of Alton Towers. Let's hope they push The Curse, even though that sounds a bit like an evil version of The Cure.

neeeeurrrghhhh may genuinely be the best option.

StevenX

Mega Poster
I feel like it'll just be known as The Curse. The initially odd phrasing of the name actually makes sense to me - the Manor itself isn't cursed, but the curse resides at/in the Manor. Kind of like how Hex is at/in the Towers, although it's not in the name. I think they're just trying to make the Manor a bit of a character in itself by phrasing it this way.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Probably still Duel to the masses, at least for a good few months / couple of seasons tbf.

Duel 2: Electric Boogaloo would have been my preference for a name.

It's still The Haunted House to me. Am coincidentally reading somebody published about the ride at the moment!

Trooper Looper

Roller Poster
It's still The Haunted House to me. Am coincidentally reading somebody published about the ride at the moment!
Same here. Will always be the Haunted House! Lemme guess the books name "Smoke and Mirriors, The Hautned House of Alton Towers, by Michael P Elay"

Bowser

Mega Poster
Same here. Will always be the Haunted House! Lemme guess the books name "Smoke and Mirriors, The Hautned House of Alton Towers, by Michael P Elay"

Ha, I can't imagine there are any others 😂

Actually i'd be open to book recommendations if people have them (or if there's a relevant thread rather than take this one on a tangent)? I've read John Wardley's which was amazing.

Matt N

CF Legend
Alton Towers have released a new teaser on Facebook:
Interesting stuff, no? When combining that teaser with all of the things like "Coming, ready or not!" within the park's official press release and the words in blood on the original Property Repossessed sign highlighting "POSSESSED, WANT TO PLAY", I have a strong suspicion that hide and seek could play a heavy role in the ride's back story... what do you guys think?

I also think that the music box rendition of In the Hall of the Mountain King in the background is an interesting thing to consider... given that the same tune could be heard in the background of one of the voicemail teasers last Scarefest, could we possibly be looking at a snippet of the new soundtrack?

cookie

Giga Poster
Do we have word if this will open with the park in March or is it opening later? I’m looking to head to the Towers in early April so I’m wondering if I should gun for this or not.

(Same question goes for Ghost Train at Thorpe)

T0M

Hyper Poster
Would say barring a disaster it is as nailed on as it can be to open on 18 March. The ride page invites you to 'book now' with not caveats around an opening date. Big difference to the approach at Thorpe with Ghost Train and Chessington with Mandrill.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I know financially it doesn't make sense, but it would be great if this was gradually teased throughout the season and then marketing ramped up to 11 towards the end up summer with it eventually opening on the eve of Scarefest.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So the attraction is completed? Why would they start this early when they're keeping the ride system? I'm just curious.
It's not early, less than 4 weeks until 'Blue Light' days... (11th and 12th.) And a little over a month until full opening.

I don't 'know' if the attraction is completed, all I 'do' know is that staff, who have been given that as their base ride, begin training next week. I got a message litterally saying just that, 'training starts next week.' Could mean anything, could just be inductions, general training, etc, (although these have been online in recent years.) I don't think the person knows themselves. But, yes, I drew the same conclusion... :)

Guess we'll find out more in the next week or two, as there should be more than one leak. ;)