What's new

Dreamworld's Tower of Terror Receiving a Re-launch?

The Claw

Hyper Poster
I thought I should start a topic about this because this has been bugging me for months and I really want to find out if this rumour is true or not. But before I begin with the actual rumour, let me fill you in the decline of what was a perfect ride.

For the last few years Dreamworld's Tower of Terror ride has really lost its punch in a few ways. For starters, when the entrance had to be relocated to the other side of the station building to make way for Nickelodeon Central it really lost a lot of its intimidation. No longer was the giant skull entrance sitting on top of a grand staircase and having to queue outside wondering what the inside of the building had to offer. No longer is there the booming distorted voice warning guests about the upcoming hazards they would have to traverse. Instead the entrance sits at the end of a path which looks like it was thrown in at the last minute and there is no outside queue line anymore.

Secondly, the theming inside is inconsistent and it's looking really tacky now. Because of the entrance relocation, they had to extend the path inside the building, however they made no effort whatsoever to theme this extra part to make it match the rest. The "invisible floor" isn't so invisble anymore because it's been scratched and fogged up and the model city below it has just been trashed with garbage and they don't even bother turning the model lights on anymore. They also stopped using the elevators before the ride which split up the riders into two groups before riding. This used to be a fantastic element to the pre-ride and I'm really sad it's been gone for so long.

As for the ride itself, there is no way it gets as high as it used to. Many people use the letters scrolled down the side of the tower as a reference as to how high it goes. In it's first few years the ride used to average out on reaching the "E" of Tower which was very good. However it can hardly reach the "F" of Of which is quite pathetic.

After the ride, the max speed that you reached would be displayed to you as you exited. This feature was short-lived for some reason even though I thought it was a fantastic idea.

So with saying all that you should probably understand how excited I am to hear about this re-launch of the Tower of Terror which will hopefully remedy all of these problems. If this does goes through expect to see a longer tunnel on the ride, improved theming and a new, lighter car for the ride. The old one weighed about six metric tonnes which is absolutely nuts (did they make it out of lead? LOL). So, what are your thoughts on this?

Tim

Roller Poster
Its fairly well known that Magic Mountain have their launch tuned down considerably due to the insane costs of running these rides at full pelt.

That'll explain why they rarely shoot up half of their towers anymore.

Honestly, if either park go ahead and make a move on changing these rides, I'd be willing to bet they would gut that entire launch system and replace it with a modern cable version and pop-up magnetic brakes for the return.

Some rubber on the wheels wouldn't be too bad of an idea either =)