What's new

Dreamland Margate

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Here's hoping... Mostly for the sake of the people who live in Margate!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not overly fussed by the rides themselves to be honest. I think in terms of heritage and all the rest of it - the "ideal" they're going for is brilliant. Good luck to them and it's going to be something great.

I loved Margate though. We caught it just as it was tipping over the edge into dereliction. I imagine with the park thriving and picking up again, the place would be superb for a lovely weekend away. The town really needs Dreamland.

marc

CF Legend
This is where all this Margate stuff loses me.

One site ages ago said they had the funding, now they are saying they will find out tonight.

I hope they do get the funding but I really thought they had already started to rebuild after the fire etc.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I think everyone on here (and other coaster sites in the UK) would be happy for their tax-money to go towards this rather than some second home for a MP... :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
This is where all this Margate stuff loses me.

Yeah me too. Last thing I remember was seeing some art work including a Tidal Wave ride and the wooden Wild Mouse?

And that was ages ago!

spicy

Giga Poster
Does anyone know if they got the funding then?

I really hope they did and the project goes ahead! To see the Scenic Railway running again would be awesome.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay...

They got a grant of £4 million off the government or lottery or something.

ANOTHER £4 million was supposed to be raised then by the people who own the land (Margate Town Regeneration Company I think they're called). They're the people who wanted to destroy Dreamland and build flats in its place...

They are having financial difficulties, so...

The COUNCIL have secured £2.8 million in exchange for the land off the owners. They have also guaranteed a loan of £1.2million if it is needed (to make up the £4 million).

The numbers are something very close to that anyway...

In August, there's another grant/fund with millions left to finish and secure the project (they need about £12 million in total).

The park is moving ahead anyway without final funding. Opening is 2012...

Nic

Strata Poster
Main problem with this is that it's in Margate. It's the chaviest, scumiest ****hole on Earth. As that bloke in that news artibcle said, they need to get some bars and restaurants and the like along the seafront - bring a bit of class to the area. As it stands, it's full of ramshackle bingo halls and amusement arcades. The only half decent place on the seafront is spoons, and that's only because it's a former bingo hall and has the most awesome name of any spoons ever - The Mechanical Elephant.

Anyway, yes, the heritage park is a great idea, and due to its history, Margate is a great place to put it. I'm just not sure it's going to be as good for the town as a whole as people are hoping.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Margate has gone downhill rapidly since Dreamland vanished (or started to vanish when Mr Godden took over in the mid 90's).

With the removal of all the major rides, the town became more and more deserted. As soon as that happens the rot sets in.

Then all values drop and property developers (like, erm Mr Godden) can buy up huge tracts of properties at a steal.

This is hopefully part of an overall uplifting of Margate. They have the new Tate thingy up the road and the council are trying to invest to stop the squalor and the issues it causes. Hopefully Dreamland can increase tourist numbers, which will increase the success of bars, restaurants, etc along the sea front.

It needs to start somewhere...