What's new

Drayton Manor: Shockwave's last season

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^As for the "new trains": Do Shockwave have the same track width as a modern B&M standup? If so, would it be feasible to buy a couple of those trains, instead of overhauling the old ones? And would it change the ride experience (Apart from ~doubling the capacity because of the seating arrangement, if you were to have the same train lenght)?

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Pokemaniac said:
^As for the "new trains": Do Shockwave have the same track width as a modern B&M standup? If so, would it be feasible to buy a couple of those trains, instead of overhauling the old ones? And would it change the ride experience (Apart from ~doubling the capacity because of the seating arrangement, if you were to have the same train lenght)?

I'm not sure, the track looks the same as the B&M box track but I don't know about the width. Also I've heard that the B&M trains are much more comfortable than the Intamin ones, so I think that it would make the ride much more enjoyable.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Oops, thought they were 2-times-2, like the TOGO ones.

Thanks for correcting!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Either way, you would have to re-do the station and stuff as the two traij types are different technology.

Like, software?

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Hmmm... I went there today, I don't see why they should remove it, it is getting on a bit in life, but it's not like it's that rough, and I still really enjoy it.

Still very popular too, with that B&M style roar :)

Many plus points, Europe's only stand up rollercoaster, and the worlds only stand up coaster with a zero-g roll. This is what makes it really special in my opinion, which is why I don't think that they should remove it.

Nice new logos on the front too, but the rest of the paint jobs on the trains looks really rough and un-tidy, with big blobs of paint everywhere.

It has a very high throughput too, which makes the queues pretty short, which is always good :)

It's also reliable

Plus with their height restrictions, they won't be able to build anything that tall again :(

So I still feel that it has quite a few seasons left in it, it still has plenty to offer in my opinion

Dave

CF Legend
Shockwave does fly into the brakes about 30mph, which starts breaking as it enters the station.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
UC said:
the public doesn't want to wait in line for an hour to get their feet pounded on anyway.

This is for anyone to answer really, but just out of curiosity, how popular are stand ups with the general public?

I've only been on two and it was hard to tell really. Momonga was walk on, but the park was dead, so no idea what it's like on busy days. Shockwave will always get people because it's at a small park with a very limited coaster selection.

So how do they fare in parks like, say, Cedar Point or Magic Mountain, which have a huge selection of coasters?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
gavin said:
This is for anyone to answer really, but just out of curiosity, how popular are stand ups with the general public?

Tbh, I don't think that any particular coaster type are popular with the general public. They go to a theme park, have a ride and then make a decision if they like it or don't.

I doubt many of the general public go on Shockwave then go home and research where other stand-ups are.

A coaster is a coaster is a coaster, but some go upside down.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I meant in terms of attracting people once they're in the park. People will run to a new coaster, the tallest coaster etc....

In a large park, on a busy day, when it might not be possible to ride everything, how big of a queue will the stand ups get?

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
At SFOG, Scorcher tends to build up a medium to large queue, although that mostly comes down the slow loading times, I'd say. As far as I've noticed, they can't do it without stacking. Still, it's one of the first things that people ride since it's the very first ride in from the gate, so it'll gather a lot of people who aren't running off to Goliath, which is the current big ticket deal.

At Carowinds, Vortex takes a back seat to a lot of things, although it still builds up a fair line even if they're better at loading. I've never seen someone run specifically to that, however.

Chang is SFKK's largest attraction and the farthest from the gate, so it gets a share of runners, although I've gone on light days. I'd say that one's pretty popular, however.

The two Togo's I've ridden at Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland were both supplementary rides moreso and I saw people riding them as they passed them or had time. No one specifically going for them.

A

Anonymous

Well it looks like what I read was wrong! And they are planning on removing another coaster within the park.Probably buffalo coaster.
I have also heard from someone within the park's management team (who I know other than through coasters) that the park are looking to add a Mack launched coaster.

Am I right in thinking one was said to be planned for the UK anyway?
If so maybe we have found the park?

I know it isn't concrete evidence so no need to tell me that again!

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
well your correct that shockwave isnt going yet

but also buffalo isnt going yet - Colin has said it does come up in the management meetings time and time again but there is no plan to remove it in the near future and when the buffalo is removed it is being replaced with a Vekoma Mine Train.

and im pretty much 90% sure it is a launched coaster for next year posiiton im not sure yet at the moment im switching between the area next to the rapids and stormforce ten

or the removal of flying dutchman and having it there launching over the lake

And onto the standup Queue time thing

Alot of people at drayton run to G-force to start with but still most of the time shockwave always has the bigger queue at opening time, with the queue still reaching length of about 2 hours in the summer so its still a popular ride for the park and i took a mate recently who hasn't been for about ten years but has been alton and thorpe and he said shockwave was one of the most fun coasters he has been on just because of the novelty of standing, so its still attracting large amounts of public.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Thanks, but that wasn't the question.

I was asking how popular they are in parks with a big coaster selection. It's one of only three coasters at Drayton, a very small park, and it's the biggest one. It goes without saying that it will be a popular ride there.

If you stuck Shockwave in Great Adventure though....