What's new

Drayton Manor 26/08/13

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
After tiring of all the Merlin Parks I decided it would be worth visiting another park in the UK. Seeing as
the only half decent parks that aren't Merlin are all up north, or in the deepest depths of Wales, I thought perhaps Drayton might be a good idea, especially as Apocalypse and Shockwave look absolutely amazing! So me and a group of mates headed up to the midlands to try out the park.

Whilst may mates were queuing for tickets, I headed straight over to G-Force as everyone had suggested, and was greeted with a queue that came out the door. Considering all the things I had heard of the ride I walked straight past and headed for my first stand up coaster, Shockwave. Now I am not going to lie, I was shocked by how small the park was, I was under the impression it was LEGOLAND size, but Drayton was absolutely mini, it was rather quaint how small the park is.

Shockwave - 9/10
The first thing I will say about the ride is how bad the ride looks with a half assed attempt at theming,
whilst the station looks great on the outside, the inside is completely empty and grim. Anyway onto the
actual ride experience, seeing as it was my first stand up, I was apprehensive as to what it would be like
but I thought the stand up position was brilliant, the layout was brilliantly forceful and had some great
0 G moments where my feet left the floor. The only complaint I have about the ride is it is rather short,
and it was relatively rough. I enjoyed the ride so much it's now took place as my 5th favourite coaster.

Once my friends were inside the park we decided to ride Storm force as the weather was warmish. After being ridiculously disappointed by how dull/tedious Tidal Wave was, I was pessimistic as to how the ride would be.

Storm Force 10 - 9/10
Thankfully, the ride didn't disappoint at all, in fact it shocked me by how great it was. Each of the drops
were nice and steep and gave some reasonable floater airtime. I must admit I was shocked by the lack of lap bars, but thank full for their absence none the less! The backwards drop and the double down drop were fantastic and really do make it the best water ride in the country and by far the wettest in the back rows. Valhalla is going to have to blow me out of the water to beat it. Whilst I loved the ride, there were two things I was disappointed by. First the theming is verging on amazing but Drayton have let it fall into disrepair and it now looks shabby. The second is how disgusting the rides water is, and considering how you soon get absolutely drowned in it, that's not a great thing. I don't want to have to worry about coming off with cholera or other waterborne diseases when I ride a water ride.

After we got off Storm Force one of my mates decided after hearing me rave about Shockwave he wanted to ride it too, so I did lap two. Afterwards I finally decided it was time to ride what I came for, Apocalypse, but not before one final ride with one of my mates on the way to the tower.

Pandemonium - 7/10
I wasn't expecting much from this ride admittedly and whilst it wasn't anything amazing, it was better that I expected. It had some decent forces and the hang time was surprisingly enjoyable, but overall it was rather generic and dull. It was fun, but only worth the walk on queue it had, and certainly not worth a reride.

After Pandemonium it was time for Apocalypse. At this point I am not going to lie I was petrified, whilst it doesn't look massive, the gondola's were
dropping at some pace. But nevertheless I headed to the queue as my mates sat and waited for me at the exit. I must admit I am very thankful that the ride never seems to have a queue so I got on very promptly.

Apocalypse Sit Down - 8/10
Seeing as I have heard the other two sides are the worst I decided to ride the sit down first. I must admit I was rather disappointed by this side, as much as the added height made it impressive, it didn't really live up to the intensity of Detonator. Thankfully it does work rather well as a warm up to the other sides.

After riding the sit down side I put my fate in my mates hands and got them to choose which side I rode next, despite my personal choice being Stand Up, I followed their suggestion to ride the stand up floorless.

Apocalypse Stand Up Floorless - 10/10
As much as I enjoyed the sit down side I was expecting more, and lowered my expectations for the stand up sides... How foolish of me. To start off both stand up sides are not just gimmicks, they are drastically different experiences. Now despite my love for coasters, I have terrible vertigo. Whilst I can normally ignore it on rides, the position you are in makes you feel ridiculously exposed and I was petrified on the way up. (Not helped by the tilting gondola) Once at the top the view beneath your feet is ridiculous, and before you know it you are plummeting down. Now I know it can't be faster, but the drop on this side just seemed ridiculously more intense than on the sit down or stand up. I absolutely loved it! I would even say it beats Detonator, by quite a mile!

Apocalypse Stand Up - 10/10
After the stand up floorless side I was intrigued by the normal stand up side. Again the tilt at the start was a great addition to the ride and I must say, whilst I personally found this side tamer than the floorless side, it was much more reridable. Again, I would say this side easily beats Detonator for me. One thing I must say is the second time I rode it, my restraint must not have been down properly as likewise with Shockwave I flew up with my feet leaving the platform, which was absolutely terrifying, but also amusing.

Apocalypse overall - 10/10
I absolutely loved the ride overall, whilst certain sides are better than others, all are great fun to ride and the stand up sides are genuinely petrifying (In a good way) One thing that I really loved that was present on each side, were the sirens that went off as you started your ascent, they really pumped up the tension to the max. Despite my love for the ride I do find that again Drayton's attempts at theming let it down, as much as I love the outside appearance of the bunker and the tower, the inside looks cheap and tacky, they have obviously tried hard to theme it, but by doing so they have overstretched their budget from the looks of things. Another major flaw is the lack of organisation for the stand up side, it's ridiculous to not split the queue for the floorless and the stand up.

Once I had ridden each side I thought it was time for a calmer ride and went on the Drunken Barrels with my mates. I won't bother rating this as it is basically a simple tea cup ride, but with impressive theming.
We managed to get a great spin going and it was rather hilarious, even if we were petrified of breaking the ride.

The Haunting - 2/10
Seeing as I enjoy Hex so much at Alton I was fairly excited for The Haunting. Unfortunately it disappointed
on all levels. I guess I should have known how bad the theming would have been but wow, it's pure cheese. I guess some people may enjoy it, but I found the whole thing dull and lacking in atmosphere. Though it did have some unique ideas in having the shaking floor and the air sprayers in your seats. The biggest problem I had though was the programme on the ride, it was awful, you hardly swung and it was no way near as convincing as Hex's programme. Also why on earth put the full spin of the room at the bleeding start?! You're meant to build up to that, not reveal the big surprise at the start.

Seeing as there was one last "major coaster" left to do we decided to head over to G-Force and seeing as the queue wasn't out the door this time I thought it was wise to join.

G-Force - 3/10
First off the capacity for this thing is awful, the queue was the longest of the day and I am sure they were only running one train. It doesn't help the queue is a cattle pen in an awful tin shed with horrendous music. As if it could get any worse you actually have to ride the thing at the end of it... First thing I noticed was how unpleasant the restraints were, they are ridiculously uncomfortable, both tight and heavy, they completely ruined the ride, which was dull, forceless (oh the irony) and just painful anyway. A complete waste of space, even on the front row.

At this point we managed to persuade my other mate to ride Shockwave with us so I did lap 3. Now I have heard bad things about the operators, but they were great with my nervous mate, comforting her and congratulating her when we were dispatched. Anyway she loved the ride so her and my other friend rode it again whilst I headed over to Maelstrom.

Maelstrom - 9/10
I had heard great things about this ride and it did not disappoint, it is one of the best flats I have ever been on, it has the speed/intensity of rush but with a ride similar to Vortex. The theming was also rather brilliant and worked really well, even if it was a rip off of Tidal Wave.

Time was running out so I ran back over to Apocalypse to ride the sit down once more. Once I got off we went for round two on the drunken barrels, this time with 50% more spinning. Obviously I couldn't leave without some more rides on Apocalypse so I chose to do the stand up once more and the stand up floorless twice more. After that it was time to leave, and I must say I was surprised we managed to fill our day. Overall Drayton is a good, even great park, it's just a bit run down all over, but the great
rides really are fantastic experiences that beat some of the rides at Thorpe and Alton! Unfortunately I didn't manage to get all of the creds, which was rather annoying (especially with Ben 10) but ultimately, the Apocalypse rerides were worth it.

I'll update this post with onride photo's of Shockwave, G-Force and Apocalypse Stand up floorless once I have uploaded them!

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Good report. Reading it makes me think I'm a bit harsh on Drayton Manor, it's just it all feels pretty ugly to me. However, Apocalypse is my favourite drop tower and Stromforce is my second favourite UK water ride after Valhalla, which will blow you out of the water, believe me. Last time I went, they were the two rides that were completely walk-on which was good.

I found Shockwave awful though last time. I used to like it, but it's just too rough for pleasure now. I personally think G Force isn't as bad as everyone says it is. It may be short and the restraints may be tight, but it's not as bad as Shcokwave :). Ben 10 is definitely Draytons best coaster IMO.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Thanks! I liked it, but I do agree alot of the place just looked grotty, I thought shockwave on the outside looked good, as did Maelstrom, but most of the place was tatty, vandalised and cheesy. Yeah Apocalypse is the real highlight there, there is literally just nothing like the intensity of the stand up sides in the UK. I must admit some of Valhallas effects sound absolutely amazing, it's just a shame it's so far from me, being a southerner. Ah Shockwave and Apocalypse were the only two ones which were walk on yesterday, Stormforce had massive queues right up to the entrance to Shockwave! I must admit Shockwave is one of the rougher coasters I have been on, but I loved how forceful it was, and anyway, Colossus I find to be worse in terms of "trying to give me a brain haemorrhage" :D I must admit G-Force had a unique layout, it's just I found it to be forceless and rather slow. Yeah Ben 10 actually looked to be rather amazing, unfortunately the queue was out the entrance all day and Apocalypse was too close for me to be able to resist it! It's kind of worrying I put drop towers infront of coasters, despite their constant efforts to the **** out of me!

Anyway here are the pics, here's me on Apocalypse Stand Up Floorless. I am the one on the left in the red and blue coat.

Here's me and my mate on G-Force *shudders*

And us again on Shockwave

Darren B

Giga Poster
I'm glad the advice helped and you enjoyed the trip. DMP is a wonderful park, I just wish they would put some money into sprucing it up, it gets worse and worse every year.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^That :)

Where did you set on Pandemonium? It's turd unless it's the very edges (and even then, I think I'm the only one who thinks it's great :lol: ).

I too love Shockwave for what it is. It's too short, far too short, but what there is of it I love and think it's great.

T'Haunting is abysmal and such a bind too with all the waiting and pre-shows. Should have done Chuff Nuggets instead ;)

BTW, the park is actually much bigger than you make out. The zoo is quite big and there's a large play area at the back of it. The rides area is small and tight, but the park actually covers a fair amount of ground, I'd say as much as Thorpe.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Yeah the advice everyone gave was really useful! Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice! Yeah I wish they put more money into the park too, if they just kept the park looking fresh and tidy, it would really improve the whole park as it just looks vandalised and worn down. The state it's in really annoys me as some of the rides there truly compete with the likes of Merlin, I mean Apocalypse, Storm force, Shockwave and Maelstrom would all beat the majority of rides at Thorpe!

For Pandemonium I was sitting on the farthest swing on the edge of the second row in from the left. In all honesty I was expecting something as bad as Submission, but was really shocked to find it was rather fun! I must admit though, it doesn't hold well to Maelstrom or any of the better of the Thorpe flats, but it's worth riding at least once! Yeah actually that is one thing I failed to mention, Shockwave is possibly one of the shortest rides I have been on, it packs quite a bit into it's layout, but I do wish it did more. Oh and that Zero G! Why on earth are there no other stand ups with one in, they're so damned good!

Yeah I really wonder why they thought with their abysmal theming skills they could create the immersive atmosphere required for a Mad House to work properly, the whole thing just made me wish I was at Alton on Hex instead! And we had to queue so long for it too! Ah what's Chuff Nuggets? I remember seeing it but didn't actually ride it. Ah in that case it's a lot bigger than I imagined! I didn't actually get time to go around the zoo, my mates did whilst I was doing my last round on Apocalypse. In fact I probably should have been able to see it from up on Apocalypse, if it weren't for the fact I was too fixated on staring at the ground I was about to shoot towards... :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
silenthillXD said:
Yeah the advice everyone gave was really useful! Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice! Yeah I wish they put more money into the park too, if they just kept the park looking fresh and tidy, it would really improve the whole park as it just looks vandalised and worn down. The state it's in really annoys me as some of the rides there truly compete with the likes of Merlin, I mean Apocalypse, Storm force, Shockwave and Maelstrom would all beat the majority of rides at Thorpe!

It's frustrating isn't it?

The worst thing is that when I first started really getting in to CF in 2005, Drayton was easily the better park out of that and Thorpe (in my opinion; definitely was in 2002 ). It was starting to look tatty then, but the quality of rides and number of rides (plus the zoo) made it a much better place to visit.

Eight years on and Thorpe has increased their ride numbers massively with huge investments and tidied up a lot of the older bits of the park. I'm not saying Thorpe is perfect, but it's generally quite a well kept park.

Drayton looks awful everywhere apart from Thomas Land and Ben 10. You can't overlook the bad theming any more because it's done so much better in other places and generally kept neat.

Okay, Drayton went down the family route rather than the thrill route Thorpe did, but it's not about installations as such, it's about quality and upkeep. Thomas Land looks good, but it's like Joey said in another topic, it's brand on mediocre rides making it popular, the rides themselves are poor. In the rest of the park, it's more miss than hit. I've not been back since Ben 10 opened, but I can't imaging Cartoon Network Land is actually much more than a bad repaint of old rides...

silenthillXD said:
For Pandemonium I was sitting on the farthest swing on the edge of the second row in from the left. In all honesty I was expecting something as bad as Submission, but was really shocked to find it was rather fun! I must admit though, it doesn't hold well to Maelstrom or any of the better of the Thorpe flats, but it's worth riding at least once!

It's curious isn't it?

I love the swing when you're facing right out and heading for the ground. Likewise, I was expecting something bad, but I found the swing really strong and fast, plus being open it was nice. It isn't in the same league as Maelstrom though which is one of (if not actually) my favourite flat rides.

I'd take it over every Thorpe flat though, they're all rubbish :lol:

silenthillXD said:
Yeah actually that is one thing I failed to mention, Shockwave is possibly one of the shortest rides I have been on, it packs quite a bit into it's layout, but I do wish it did more. Oh and that Zero G! Why on earth are there no other stand ups with one in, they're so damned good!

It's so confusing, isn't it?

Zero-G on Shockwave is one of my favourite coaster elements. I love it :) It's that entire flat bit towards the corkscrews though. WTF? Zero-G of win... flat... flat... flat... Corkscrewcorkscrew turn and hammer into the brakes at 200 mph! Surely they could have had an airtime hill or something in that flat section? It's not like there's no momentum in the ride.

silenthillXD said:
Yeah I really wonder why they thought with their abysmal theming skills they could create the immersive atmosphere required for a Mad House to work properly, the whole thing just made me wish I was at Alton on Hex instead! And we had to queue so long for it too!

It's depressing isn't it? The long wait, the time eaten from your day where you could have been doing something better, like putting rusty pins behind your fingernails ;)

It's quite good fun in a group, but you may as well just hang out in a group and chuck shoes around ;)

silenthillXD said:
Ah what's Chuff Nuggets? I remember seeing it but didn't actually ride it.

It's turdio, isn't it?

Imagine Duel, only a quarter of the size, themed to wild west, sponsored by breakfast cereal and with themed items that move and interacted when the targets were shot (like those gun shoot things near Rita) only they don't move because most of the guns are broken, and if you find a gun that works, most of the targets are broken anyway.

I think that about sums it up ;)

silenthillXD said:
Ah in that case it's a lot bigger than I imagined! I didn't actually get time to go around the zoo, my mates did whilst I was doing my last round on Apocalypse. In fact I probably should have been able to see it from up on Apocalypse, if it weren't for the fact I was too fixated on staring at the ground I was about to shoot towards... :D

I did just check on Google Maps and including the zoo, both Thorpe and Drayton probably cover roughly the same amount of area :)

Darren B said:
Madame_furie said:
It's too short, far too short, but what there is of it I love

Sorry Phil i couldn't resist :)

You're so wrong though Darren.

She doesn't love what little of it there is :p