What's new

Drayton Manor 2014

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Well, to be honest, I don't think they really did, with Maelstrom and Pandemonium existing.

Eh, but still, it's a new thrill ride, who cares! :--D

Kebab

Giga Poster
Am I the only one who is disappointed with this? Come on Drayton, get a decent Rollercoaster!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This was planned for two seasons ago but lack of money (they had to pay off the hotel first) meant it was put back. Glad to see it's finally happening because it means they have mone to invest again. Maybe next year we'll see a new coaster.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think I could've scraped a bit of excitement together if it would have opened when the rumours started two years ago. Now these things are pretty much popping up everywhere; it's not even the first one in the UK anymore.

That's not to say that they're not great rides, because they are, and it will go down reeally well at the park. It just doesn't do anything for me personally other than to raise a mild shrug.

And yeah, £1.2 million? Get to ****. If a crappy little, free-to-enter, Russian kiddy park with nothing bigger than a Disko and a Big Apple can get one, I don't see how they can possibly cost that much.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I've never been on one of these but it looks like the sort of ride I'd enjoy. I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes Drayton so I'm happy to see they're getting a decent new ride...although Gavin has a valid point - pretty sure this will just be plonked on concrete with no theming (maybe a 'QUIRKY!!!' entrance sign if we're lucky). How has it cost so much?

_koppen

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
And yeah, £1.2 million? Get to ****. If a crappy little, free-to-enter, Russian kiddy park with nothing bigger than a Disko and a Big Apple can get one, I don't see how they can possibly cost that much.

Well it's a pretty complicated ride to build, but it's not that expensive.

Zamperla charges € 720 000 for the standard 6 arm version, and after that it's all up to the park how much more they spend building it.

I would guess that some of the budget is for marketing.

Jake

Strata Poster
Could be better, could be worse.

I take it it's going roughly where Black Revolver was? Unless I'm being a total tit and they've already done something with that space, I haven't been for ages <///3.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jake said:
Could be better, could be worse.

I take it it's going roughly where Black Revolver was? Unless I'm being a total tit and they've already done something with that space, I haven't been for ages <///3.

Yeah, in the space between G-Force, Shockwave and Kentucky Fake Chicken.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I did ask Drayton to install a woodie like "Wooden Warrior" size, we will have to wait a few more years for an English park to be brave n install one.

I've never ridden an Air-Race, can they be quite dizzy when spinning so much.

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ hahaha!! It's the starting statement, as if he's shocked they didn't do it. Amazing. Thanks for making me laugh this Sunday morning!!

mad mouse

Roller Poster
Pierre said:
In fairness, Flamingo Land (not a great example I know :lol: ) - didn't announced their Volare until Jan/Feb time. That may have been down to their poor/lack of PR and MArketing team though!
the new volare is rubbish I rode it in October and I hated every second of it

_koppen

Hyper Poster
There was some rumor a few years ago that Drayton Manor wanted a Technical Park Flying Fury. I assume those plans are no more, since they are getting an Air Race.

But if they still want one the original one who opened in Milano is now for sale at Tehcnical Parks homepage. They are "only" asking €400,000 for it (which have to be consider relatively cheap, Tivoli all in all paid €2,800,000 for theirs.)

So if they still want one there is a pretty good deal available, but I doubt it.
Still it's one of the best ride experiences in the world!
http://www.technicalpark.com/amusement-rides/flying-fury-2/

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Drayton appear to be a year or two behind their medium term plan. The Air Race was supposed to be installed in 2012. I'd expect to see the new coaster next year!

I've still never done an Air Race.

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
From being part of the "car scene" now a days ive become good friends with a couple of dm staff who work in the offices -
Couple of stuff for the next few years:
Planning permission for the new hotel has been granted but was put on hold after colin's parents died.
Next year thomas land is being expanded by 50% into the car park next to it
The fish and chip shop that opened by the lake this year that is currently closed is closed due to the fitters not being gas registered and a gas leak was found so was shut down by h&S
A movie studio themed ride is going where the buffalo station/old chip shop was
The new coaster if now going furthur back where the old big top was and is meant to go more out into the lake (could be the return of the mine train coaster idea)