Which do you prefer?

• Kraken

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Dragon Khan

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters

alexr

Hyper Poster
I take it you haven't ridden any other GOOD coaster in Florida, even Manta is better than this. Most coasters at universal are better than that as well.
Try riding Kumba at least to experience slightly what Khan may be like.

Darren B

Giga Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
Unfortuently, I haven't ridden Khan and this was part of the reason for the poll...just to see if it's much better than Kraken! Which it obviously is.

The reson that I love Kraken is simpily because of the floorless aspect of the ride, the gigantic inversions and the underground dive.

I'm confused :?: You are aware that Dragon Khan is classed as a completely different ride concept to Kraken right? I thought your poll was based on the fact that many brits on this site would probably have ridden the two due to being popular holiday destinations etc. If not i think you would have been better off doing a poll between Kraken and Superman Parque Warner and/or Kumba v Dragon Khan.

Also just because members in this poll have overwhelmingly voted for DK over Kraken you shouldn't assume that DK is better. Ride it yourself and then come to your own opinion. I have the PMBO as my no.2 which will draw a 'WTF' off most people, but its all about what you as an individual prefer. But DK <3

iblamefish

Roller Poster
Khan. No question.

Every single inch of Khan's track is used properly, whereas some of Karken's track feels a little wasted and like filler material.

Lofty

CF Legend
CoasterCrazy said:
I have ridden Kraken though, Khan is my no.2 simpily because I haven't ridden it yet and it's a bit silly to have your no.1 coaster as one that you haven't actually experienced. :--D

Just a quick question, how on earth do you rate a coaster without riding it, especially in your top 10? That's ridiculous.

Does ANYONE else here prefer Kraken????

Isn't that why you've done a poll? Seriously, **** sake...

Rush

Giga Poster
Khan is very, very overrated. The first half's pretty weak and I found that even its most raved element (the zero-g) is only really any good on one side of the train. The second half is actually a lot better thankfully but overall the entire coaster isn't really as good as everyone makes it out to be. Oh and one of the trains is MUCH better than the other two as well for some reason.

I personally think Kraken is underrated (by enthusiasts). I think its first half is better than Khan's which on the whole I found a bit forceless. It's let down by its second half where it doesn't seem to do a lot but dive into tunnels and occasionally invert.

Overall, I think Khan is better but in my opinion, there's not a lot in between them.

DarrenBloomfield said:
Also just because members in this poll have overwhelmingly voted for DK over Kraken you shouldn't assume that DK is better. Ride it yourself and then come to your own opinion.

I completely agree. Although it's hard not to be influenced beforehand by what a large majority say, if you go in anticipating too much you're only going to be disappointed when you get off the ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Rush said:
DarrenBloomfield said:
Also just because members in this poll have overwhelmingly voted for DK over Kraken you shouldn't assume that DK is better. Ride it yourself and then come to your own opinion.

I completely agree. Although it's hard not to be influenced beforehand by what a large majority say, if you go in anticipating too much you're only going to be disappointed when you get off the ride.

I think that this can be true to a degree, but I become less and less convinced as time goes on.

It started with Balder for me. Everyone went on about how fantastic it is. I rode it and it was "alright". There was a massive group of us and two adored the ride, the rest of us thought "meh". Don't get me wrong, I had a couple of really good runs on it, but it never blew me away at all. The two who loved it, really loved it.

Port Aventura again had a lot of us. We rode Baco first which we universally hated (except one person who loved it before hand). We rode Khan then, and everyone loved it except for Ian and Marc who thought we were all over-rating it and that it wasn't as good as it's Floridian sister. Yet those of us who loved it, really loved it.

So the question is, was the ride changed by group mentality? Was the ride changed by prior hyping? We all like to fit in when with others, and to be "independent thinkers" when we're alone (or in a small group). Does this influence how we decide on what we like and how much? After all, when you're watching a comedy, you're more likely to laugh and enjoy it more if with others.

Coasters aren't comedies. They're a minute or so of intense, visceral, physical forces (or should be). How you feel during that ride is not influenced by anything* (in my opinion) other than how your body deals with those forces. We all have different "triggers" for adrenaline release. We all react differently to the adrenaline, endorphins and dopamine produced. Physically we are all thrown are differently due to body sizes, fat content, etc (which includes how the restraints and train seats feel). Beyond that, we will all have a set of preferences for what we like to feel in a ride and also our particular mood on that day.

It's such a massive set of variables, it's no wonder that we all have such varied opinions. As Joey likes to say "everyone is different" ;)

I loved Kahn. It was the first "good sized" multi-looper and the first B&M sit down I'd been on. In fact, I think it was probably the first decent sized coaster I'd been on. It did everything I loved. I love big loops and I love really odd force changes and disorientation. Kahn just did it all for me. It wasn't forceful like I find Nemesis, or fun like Megafobia (I'm going back to the rides I'd been on back then) and it certainly wasn't short (like everything else in the UK). It was (and still is) something unique to me and something that just ticked the right boxes. It wasn't over hyped and disappointing (neither was Baco, I didn't hate Baco to be "cool") it was just right, for me, at the moment I rode it.

*Lightning Racer (and probably a few other woodies) is the exception to this. I think that on woodies where you are open at the top and spend a lot of time speeding in a forward manner, you will look around to other riders. You have the time and chance to do it. Certainly with Lighting Racer (and to an extent Stampida) being able to be with your next seat neighbour and join with them egging on your train winning against the other train (and people) you can see is massively social compared to the majority of coasters. So you do get the "comedy effect" because you are emotionally bouncing off the other riders. This makes the rides much more fun. There are exceptions though, like Balder, El Toro, Boulder Dash and a few others, where you're being put through steep dives and high ejector so you're concentrating more on the visceral ride than the "fun". You need to be prepared to ride the coaster, not a chat and a latte ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Coaster Crazy, how come Dragon Khan is your number 2, yet you've never ridden it? I'm just intrigued as to how you would rate a coaster you've never been on over the other 47 that you apparently have (according to your coaster count on here anyway). Surely it would be number 1 on your list of 'must rides', but to actually rate it in your top ten having not ridden it seems a bit ludicrous to me.

Anyway, I really enjoy Kraken. Not top ten material by any means by I like a floaty, enjoyable coaster. I love the first drop and it doesn't feel very fast or intense, you just kind of glide through the track, and I really enjoy that sensation.

Dragon Khan comes under the category for of me 'good but not great'. I'm not a massive fan of hugely intense coasters, they make me feel sick. If I get off of a coaster and immediately want to re-ride, that is a massive factor for me whether this coaster is good or not. I never go by anybody else's opinions.

However, I do really love Kumba. The zero-g is probably my favourite element on any coaster ever, and yes the rest of the ride is incredibly intense but for that inversion alone the coaster sits in my top ten, because I'd ride it over and over just for that.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
Coaster Crazy, how come Dragon Khan is your number 2, yet you've never ridden it? I'm just intrigued as to how you would rate a coaster you've never been on over the other 47 that you apparently have (according to your coaster count on here anyway). Surely it would be number 1 on your list of 'must rides', but to actually rate it in your top ten having not ridden it seems a bit ludicrous to me.

Ok then, now I'll tell you why...

I love inversions and I love the coasters that B&M make. So, so far Kraken is the best coaster I have actually ridden. However, I have yet to ride a single woodie (I know it sounds stupid!), or a B&M sit down. This is why I cannot make a very good and balanced judgement over which coaster I like the most.

Dragon Khan is my no.2, because I haven't ridden it and I don't know what B&M sit - downs are like. However I like it because its got 8 inversions and is B&M. It's the second tallest B&M with 7+ inversions. Kraken being the largest (by 1 ft). I hope I'm right there!

Anyway, this summer I'm going to Busch Gardens Tampa, so that should sort it out...I might just have to change my Sig and profile picture!

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^You don't have to have every single credit in the world to adore coasters...

Youn can be mad about Mars, or a foreign country, even though you've never been there!

Why do I always end up being the subject of conversation in these forums??

700th post! :--D

Ben

CF Legend
Yes, but, one would imagine that you would have endulged in some of that country's traditions or looked at Mars through a telescope.

Not having been on a Woodie is like being a "film fan" if you've only ever seen Lord of the Rings.

CMonster

Giga Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
Dragon Khan is my no.2, because I haven't ridden it and I don't know what B&M sit - downs are like. However I like it because its got 8 inversions and is B&M. It's the second tallest B&M with 7+ inversions. Kraken being the largest (by 1 ft). I hope I'm right there!

You do realize that Khan's drop is about 20 feet longer than Kraken's?

And, though I haven't been on Khan, I vastly prefer Kumba to Kraken, and I guess they're similar enough to make conclude that I'd also like Khan better. I'd like to ride and find out, though. :p

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
The most likely cause of the huge difference between Khan's height and its drop is the the height might be the total height difference between the station and the top of the lift while the drop is the actual drop length measurement.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Generally (i.e. outside of Blackpool :p ), you measure the height from the bottom of the lift hill (or station) to the top of it. The drop can therefore be significantly different. Alton is a great example, Oblivion is only 65 feet high (or something) but has a drop of over 180 feet. Nemesis I think is 40 something feet high, but the difference between highest and lowest point is considerably more.

And to answer the question, the station is on a high section of ground to the rest of the coaster, you have to walk up a hill from the viewing area of the ride to get to the station, the ride is definitely on a lower area of ground. And the people with us who had been on both Kumba and Kahn said that they preferred Kumba, just as an extra bit of information.

And as more information, you can't love something you've never experienced. You can love the idea in a weird and creepy special kind of way that's likely to end up causing serious psychiatric and court order issues in the future, but not the actual thing.

reddude333

Giga Poster
^I see what you are saying, but I don't think that makes very much sense. I think height should be height...and in that case, max height would be considered the maximum difference between the ground (or floor if indoor) level and track level. Perhaps that is not industry standard, but it sure as heck should be.

reddude333

Giga Poster
How did I know you'd come in with a douchebag response like that. I guess I should have left out the "indoor" part because I did specify height difference from the floor.