What's new

Dragon Challenge (Duelling Dragons) No Longer Duelling

Mark

Strata Poster
It has been confirmed that the Dragon Challenge coaster (formerly known as Duelling Dragons) has ceased duelling, at least for the time being. The news follows two incidents in recent weeks that have involved a rider being struck by a flying object. Both of these incidents occured in the same location on the ride and one has left the victim blind, as was reported on CoasterForce.

The confirmation came in a written statement from Universal spokesperson, Tom Schroder; "As we continue to study these incidents, we will operate both coasters as separate experiences without their usual intersect points".

Following the incidents it is known that Universal have carried extensive safety checks and confirmed that the ride itself is not to blame. Speculation is now building as to what is causing the problem. It has been suggested that the incidents may have been caused by riders throwing objects at the opposite train passing them, however there is still no concrete evidence to support this theory.

So for now at least, no more Dueling Dragons... You can read more from the news report here http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28887591/detail.html

Ollie

CF Legend
Was lucky that they were still duelling when I went two weeks ago. Wonder how long it'll be before they'll be able to duel again.

A

Anonymous

How do they make it not duelling? Slow one of the lift hills down

RCF

Strata Poster
I know there's a specific article somewhere but I'm not arsed to look for it. What happens is they load all the passengers, and there's a weight system that weighs each train. Depending on the weight of the train, the speed of the chain lifts is adjusted so that both trains can make the trains get to the near miss points on time. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Challenge#Ride_2p

Colossus

Giga Poster
SamJ said:
How do they make it not duelling? Slow one of the lift hills down

I would imagine they will just dispatch the trains separately?

Shame really but, i can fully agree with why the decision has been made.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This ride has been open (without incident?) for 12 years now, so I don't really understand the reasoning behind this other than to shut people/the media up with claims of an "unsafe" ride.

Hopefully, they can either come up with a solution (some kind of netting at key points or something), or, even better, just wait for the fuss to die down and carry on as normal.

Mark

Strata Poster
I dont think so Gavin. I think the general consensus, although nothing has been confirmed, is that people are actually throwing things when actually on the ride... I think its the section when they take the vertical loops together although Im not sure.

And yes, they just dispatch the trains seperately. I would imagine they also have an override for the weighing on the lift hill etc...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's a shame that they stopped the dueling, because it's a really sweet feature of the ride, but I completely understand why they would stop. It sucks that fun can be ruined by just one or two people. Hopefully they can find the culprit or figure out a solution soon.

TTDfan52

Mega Poster
I didn't think the duelling effect did that much for the ride, so taking it away won't hurt the ride in my opinion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Just put plexiglass at all of the intersection points, that will take care of it. :wink:

Snoo

The Legend
Hmm.. that is the only reason the rides are any good.. and they stop doing it because of a small incident? Meh. Very very meh.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Got it!

Continue operations as usual, but install more security cameras and motion detectors around the coasters layout, to better detect any thrown projectiles.

In the event that a projectile is reported, the accused train will be transferred off the track at the brake run, into a secret interrogation room where each rider will be questioned for hours on end until the perpetrator is found.

Universal is known for its theming; I could see a good WWII Nazi bunker look for this! :wink:

Titan

Mega Poster
I think the old dragons that were torn down for the re-themeing got angry and wanted revenge. Im glad I rode in back in 2004.

tribar

Mega Poster
Hyde244 said:
Got it!

Continue operations as usual, but install more security cameras and motion detectors around the coasters layout, to better detect any thrown projectiles.

In the event that a projectile is reported, the accused train will be transferred off the track at the brake run, into a secret interrogation room where each rider will be questioned for hours on end until the perpetrator is found.

Universal is known for its theming; I could see a good WWII Nazi bunker look for this! :wink:

The first part is actually a sort of a good idea. Even if they briefly interogate everyone on the train before the harnesses are unlocked