What's new

Dr Who Fans rejoice!

mrclam

Giga Poster
No more pants episodes written by Russel T Davies:

Russell T Davies is to step down as executive producer of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced. Credited with reviving the series in 2005, he'll be succeed by Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat.

As any fan will insist, Steven Moffat has penned some of the series' most unforgettable and acclaimed episodes. He was rewarded the Bafta Writer Award 2008 for Blink, with its terrifying weeping angels and he also wrote the series one two-parter The Empty Child, which became famous for its terrifying refrain: "Are you my mummy?" For the current series, Moffat has written Silence In The Library, a two-parter starring Alex Kingston which transmits on 31 May and 7 June 2008.

Steven Moffat says: "My entire career has been a Secret Plan to get this job. I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven. Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. I say toughest 'cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing." Lead Writer and Executive Producer Russell T Davies says: "It's been a delight and an honour working with Steven, and I can't wait to see where his extraordinary imagination takes the Doctor. Best of all, I get to be a viewer again, watching on a Saturday night!"

Steven Moffat's career began with the landmark ITV children's drama Press Gang in 1989, for which he won his first Bafta. He has just delivered the screenplay for Tintin – the first instalment of the trilogy of films featuring the iconic Belgian comic-strip hero – to Steven Spielberg who will direct it for DreamWorks.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/gall ... id=8343580

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thank God for that. I was starting to get a bit bored of the same, predictable rubbish.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah I read this last night.
All the ones he wrote were crap.
I vote for another episode on the same level as 'Blink' (best Doctor Who episode EVER!)

jayjay

Giga Poster
This is the best Dr Who news EVAARR.

As long as he doesn't start running out of ideas, then series 5 should be fab.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
No, that would be the news that they let it die.

It's awful. What the hell is wrong with all of you.

Doctor Who is generally considered to be bloody amazing, especially for what it is, by the vast majority of viewers... And the looks on the viewers faces, no matter what age, enforces that it is a suburb programme further.

You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry. This isn't about opinion anymore when people say things as if they are common regarded fact among majority when they are not.

I have no issue with you thinking differently to the majority, but you have to accept and take into consideration that you have "unusual" views on the quality of television. :lol:

;)

Dave

CF Legend
Thank god he's going. I hate Doctor Who, it was good with Christopher Ecclestone as he wasn't so unblievably ridiculous as David Tennant.

The episodes i've watched of this series have been rubbish, the plots have been so weak. David Tennant always pulling his slightly shocked "i've been fingered in the arse" look.
Last good episode I watched was the one with The Master.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
Joey said:
No, that would be the news that they let it die.

It's awful. What the hell is wrong with all of you.

Doctor Who is generally considered to be bloody amazing, especially for what it is, by the vast majority of viewers... And the looks on the viewers faces, no matter what age, enforces that it is a suburb programme further.

You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry. This isn't about opinion anymore when people say things as if they are common regarded fact among majority when they are not.

I have no issue with you thinking differently to the majority, but you have to accept and take into consideration that you have "unusual" views on the quality of television. :lol:

;)
LOL

Fiiine.

But it's poorly acted, poorly produced and the special effects (or lack of) need to die.

What is good about it? Seriously, someone explain.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's entertainment first. It just does what it does, in a captivating, lighthearted, different way. It's not meant to be the world's greatest TV show, it's just meant to be something which is 45 minutes of mindless fun. Tea-time entertainment.

A lot of people may try to make more of it, and I'm sure a lot of the success it's it's ancestry and massive intricate back stories, but on the absolute most basic level, it's just easy watching. Cerebral Home and Away if you like :lol:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Joey, if you have never seen the episode "Blink," I suggest searching it on Youtube. It is possibly the only episode of Dr Who that I've liked in the past 2 series and it is fantastic.

If you've seen that one and still don't like it, fair enough.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
But do the people who love it accept that the acting is poor and such...?

And once you accept that, what's left to love?

Ollie

CF Legend
jayjay said:
Joey, if you have never seen the episode "Blink," I suggest searching it on Youtube. It is possibly the only episode of Dr Who that I've liked in the past 2 series and it is fantastic.

If you've seen that one and still don't like it, fair enough.

Agreed. Blink was amazing

Coaster Ollie said:
I vote for another episode on the same level as 'Blink' (best Doctor Who episode EVER!)

mrclam

Giga Poster
Some of you guys are missing the point

Dr Who is saturday afternoon tea time entertainment.

If you look in the canals of history this was filled by the likes of the A-team, knight rider, air wolf, dukes of hazard, etc etc.

ALL of them are rubbish.. But it's entertainment the whole family can enjoy at saturday tea time.

And no matter how rubbish or nonsense a series is.. It's 10000% more preferable than a game show with Ant and Dec, Noel Edmonds or yet another reality tv thing - which passes as "entertainment" nowadays.

It's not about the special effects or acting.. Any more than Ant and Dec are anything about humour or talent. It's about pure no-brainer entertainment (which is something A&D could never give me).

I admit though.. the last 2 episodes were a bit dull. the "doctors daughter" episode was particularly awful.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Smelly said:
the "doctors daughter" episode was particularly awful.
It was dire! Without the daughter I'd have turned it off :p.

I've had a very on/off relationship with the new Dr Whos, sometimes it's excellent, other times complete tosh. There was a sequence of episodes last series (including the 2-parter and Blink) that were fantastic, and I thought the Pompeii one this series was so crammed with stuff that it was great viewing (with some cracking effects Joey, they can be good sometimes :)).

The acting varies (Katherine Tate is now getting on my nerves, and Freema Agyewhatever never could act in the first place), but David Tenant is just fantastic :p.

You have to give RT Davies the credit for the successful revival, without his enthusiasm it wouldn't have happened.

mrclam

Giga Poster
But did we REALLY need RT davies's over sexualisation of everything.

Now dont get me wrong, anyone here who knows me, knows i'm a very open minded person who's all for people experimenting, having fun, and have nothing against whatever people's sexuality is, straight, gay, bi, confused, etc.

BUT he's writing shows for a "tea time" audience.. kids are watching.. i'm not prudish.. But why do we have characters who are so sexually charged they cant keep their willy in their pants (captain jack).

Yes.. I get it.. He's gay.. he wrote (the admitidly brilliant) queer as folk.. and yes - for some reason most grown up dr who fans seem (for some reason) to be gay... But this is a COMPLETELY different of fish as at the end of the day.. it IS for kids.. And "gay" doesnt neccesarily mean "shag anything in site".

It's all very well him putting his own sexual viewpoint into shows - i applaud that - we DO need more miniorities in our tv shows.. What we DONT need (imho) is over sex nymphos!

EDIT: Just re-read what i've written.. and it sounds like i'm writing a letter to the daily mail or points of view.. but.. my point still stands..

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Smelly said:
But did we REALLY need RT davies's over sexualisation of everything.
Fair point, it's fine to mix things up but it does seem forced at times.

Then again, he's probably been holding himself back, based on what Torchwood is like! :lol: Really can't watch that, it's rubbish on so many levels, which is a shame since John Barrowman is good fun.

Smelly said:
and yes - for some reason most grown up dr who fans seem (for some reason) to be gay...
:shock: Where the hell did that come from! You ARE a Daily Mail reader, you'll be attacking emos next :p.

A

Anonymous

The fact is, Doctor Who attracts an audience.

The quality of the cinematography and the fluency of the script does not necessarily make something instantly watchable.

Doctor Who is just quirky and entertaining; like a comic, it's an elaborate take on our reality. The artistic criterion doesn’t even come into this equation.

(Take that to Cannes :lol:)

It’s like choosing between Cadbury chocolate and proper chocolate. Why do people not just go for the better quality?

(^ Slayed, I agree!)

But, yeah, if a new writer improves the quality of the script, cool!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Slayed said:
It was dire! Without the daughter I'd have turned it off :p.

Never a truer word spoken... :lol:

I've enjoyed the new Doctor Who over all the series, the introduction of the classic creatures in a much better a renovated guise (Cybermen mostly) but still keeping the whole 'hide-behind-the-couch' thing in today's society is very difficult considering what teens and kids can see on many other channels on the other channels...

Catherine Tate however could get on one's nerves a bit sooner than anticipated :(