What's new

Dollywood | Firechaser Express | Gerstlauer Dual Launch

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Rumoured Dollywood New 2014 Coaster

Snoo said:
STC said:
They already have a woodie though (yeah I know RMCs aren't really woodies, but the public would perceive it as being similar to Thunderhead).

Topper track is a woodie (Outlaw).
Iron Horse track is not (NTG and Iron Rattler).

That's not just opinion, but straight from the words of the ride creator manufacturer himself.
The words of an engineer are pretty irrelevant to everyone who rides a coaster.

They are all woodies.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

As a passholder it is sad to see Adventure Mountain go, but I am looking forward to a Mack launch coaster in the Burg. Manta California is a great family launch coaster, and I would be content with a ride like that, but I have a hunch this will be a little more 'high thrill".

BBH

Giga Poster

Joey said:
Snoo said:
STC said:
They already have a woodie though (yeah I know RMCs aren't really woodies, but the public would perceive it as being similar to Thunderhead).

Topper track is a woodie (Outlaw).
Iron Horse track is not (NTG and Iron Rattler).

That's not just opinion, but straight from the words of the ride creator manufacturer himself.
The words of an engineer are pretty irrelevant to everyone who rides a coaster.

They are all woodies.
You don't call the GG woodies steel because they have a steel structure, do you? No. You don't. So why call the Iron Horses wood if they have a wood structure? The track is not made of wood, therefore, it is not a wooden rollercoaster.

Mine trains =/= wooden
Iron horse =/= wooden

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

BBH said:
You don't call the GG woodies steel because they have a steel structure, do you? No. You don't. So why call the Iron Horses wood if they have a wood structure? The track is not made of wood, therefore, it is not a wooden rollercoaster.

Mine trains =/= wooden
Iron horse =/= wooden
It has nothing to do with build materials and everything to do with perception. It's not black and white and is open to guest interpretation. If something conveys the sense of a wooden coaster, or a steel coaster, then it is one, that's all their is to it. Average guests aren't aware enough to know if any of these rides "ride like a steel/wood". It's about how they look and thematically what they stand for. Wood is a very strong, specific theme conveyor, suggesting age, nostalgia and classicness. Those things are more fundamentally important to the people who matter, guests, than any technical jargon.

andrus

Giga Poster

Joey said:
BBH said:

Mine trains =/= wooden
Iron horse =/= wooden
It has nothing to do with build materials and everything to do with perception. It's not black and white and is open to guest interpretation. If something conveys the sense of a wooden coaster, or a steel coaster, then it is one, that's all their is to it. Average guests aren't aware enough to know if any of these rides "ride like a steel/wood". It's about how they look and thematically what they stand for. Wood is a very strong, specific theme conveyor, suggesting age, nostalgia and classicness. Those things are more fundamentally important to the people who matter, guests, than any technical jargon.
Exactly! When riding the new Gravit Group at Gröna Lund my friends had all funny comments rangeing from complaints that it's not a classic woodie due to it's supports to someone actually thinking it was a steel coaster just disguised as a wooden one! The genreal public wont notice the thickness of the steel layer on the track (what manufacturers/enthusiasts use to classify the ride) but they most certainly will notice whether the entire support structure is made out of wood or steel!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

andrus said:
^Yes, but I've wondered many times why we haven't seen another S&S family launch coaster? Everybody that have been on Poweder Keg seems to agree that it's a good coaster, amazing even for a family one! But yet there hasn't been a follow up. That's strange to me...

Well, as mentioned, half of the ride wasn't S&S originally. Now, since Stan's not there any more, I'd be surprised if the crazy/awesome innovation at S&S doesn't completely dry up.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

michaellll said:
So... launched RMC anyone? Dreamin' big over here.
That would be amazing. But unlikely...I defiantly want to see that concept in the future though.

I have a feeling it'll be a launch coaster as it fits with the parks categories of rides. Or a Zierer freefall coaster like Verbolten would fit in well.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Im seeing more or less a launch tower. Nothing else beyond that really.

If it IS a coaster, I wouldnt expect anything larger than a Pony Express clone.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

I don't see Dollywood getting anything that unsightly. They've long stayed with rides that cannot be seen outside of the park, and Eagle was very unusual in that regard.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

im betting a multi launch like cheetah hunt or full throttle. maybe even launch into a top hat like storm runner or xcelerator. a mild launch kiddie is always possible too...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Okay, so I got a text at 5 am yesterday from my friend and she has invited me to go to Gatlinburg with her family for a week in August and we might be able to go to Dollywood. I've not been to a theme park with her yet but if they're going to a theme park, Dollywood's the place to do it because they have so much to do that isn't roller coasters. If we go, I should be able to get pictures.

Honestly, knowing that Dwood JUST got Wild Eagle and the fact that the sign said it was a "family adventure" or something, I don't think we should get our hopes up for a huge thrill coaster.

Knowing the terrainy plot that they have chosen and the fact that a Dollywood rep was at Europa Park, my final guess for this is a terrain Mack launcher on a scale similar to that of Manta at SWSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cRGWvV4Rc

The reason this is such a good idea for the park can be seen by looking at the coaster lineup for the park from least intense to most intense. I personally think it goes Sideshow Spin to Thunderhead to Tennessee Tornado to Mystery Mine to Wild Eagle. Looking at the gap between Sideshow and Thunderhead, that's a pretty big jump. This would be the perfect type of coaster to fill this gap as well as take the launcher role for a park that really needs one. Dollywood isn't exactly in the Carowinds/SFOG area, but it's close enough to bring a launched coaster to an area of the country that needs one.

Thoughts?

Intricks

Strata Poster

From pictures posted by an employee, it isnt a wooden coaster in any manner.

Photos of supposed supports:

attachment.php

attachment.php

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Pretty sure that's a red herring.

It's deconstruction shots from the ropes course being removed.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Wasnt sure what those were, but have some pictures of markers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

CoasterCadet1

Roller Poster

Ok, so has anyone noticed that the new URL Dollywood is showing on their social sites is DestinationDollywood(DOT)com?

With that being said, I think there is more to this announcement than just a coaster. I'm just sayin...

Anyone have any ideas?

Check out Dollywood on Facebook to see the image...Also, check out the URL on Dollywood's Website.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

There were surveys a year or so back about Dollywood adding either a hotel, or timeshares or both. That URL sounds like they are ready to move forward with those plans.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I'll hold out for an S&S launched roller coaster.

Powderkeg was a good ride, and I would imagine the park chain staying with the same manufacturer for another launched coaster versus going to another company (e.g. Mack).

Regardless, I'll look foward to Adventure Mountain coming back online. Tis the coolest family attraction in the amusement park industry today.

marc

CF Legend

You really think they will get another S&S after what happened? Unless they are getting it for free I suppose.