What's new

Dollywood | Big Bear Mountain | Vekoma Family Launched Coaster | 2023

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Essentially, the train would have to be altered to allow for LSM hardware. This train is basically the same as the ones that run on the family coasters/boomerangs, the biggest difference being the large fin under the train. I guess they decided it was easier/more cost effective to modify the track design with the 'cavity' for the fin & LIM hardware, rather than alter the train.

I swear I watched that video & he explained it... must have been a different one.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I swear I watched that video & he explained it... must have been a different one.
It's perfectly possible I missed it. Brain is cooked atm. I was genuinely asking, not being difficult.

Sounds rational as to why they've done the modification to the track not the train, but does it answer the question why LIM over LSM in the first place? That's the bit I'm actually interested in.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Didn't mean for that to come off as snarky if it did, I just definitely remember hearing him explain it somewhere (and I thought it was in a CF video).😆

My best guess of the reasoning for LIMs would be so that the single fin both interacts with the LIMs and the control hardware (friction brakes/drive tires). With the track being 700mm wide, there likely just wasn't enough room to properly integrate LSM magnets and a control fin on the small family coaster platform. On the new Thrill launch coasters, those are a much wider (1100mm) gauge and therefore have enough space to have two sets of LSM stators, one on each side of the train's chassis as well as a control fin. That's my guess at least.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Looks like a fun ride, and obviously great fit for Dollywood. Was hoping for more of a "thrill" coaster since their last add was a family, but still looks great, and a great excuse for me to go this year (not I need one!) Any rumblings/informed speculations (or even rampant speculations) on when it may open?
Trying to figure if I want to go May or Sept

ST Dog

Roller Poster
Any rumblings/informed speculations (or even rampant speculations) on when it may open?
Trying to figure if I want to go May or Sept
My guess is it will open with the park in March or soon after, in time for spring break. I doubt they will announce anything untill construction completes and testing starts.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster

Attachments

• IMG_7825.jpg
    IMG_7825.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 52