What's new

Does anyone know what is going on with Xcelerator?

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
If I hear Xcelerator reopens with the same hydraulic launch I'm driving there the next day and riding it over and over.

Yes, it is expensive to ship things from Sweden to the US but I doubt there are any Inatmin xcelerator parts left in the country.

So sick of this "expensive to ship" bologna. Not from you, but if it's true, from CF.

The park INVESTED in the ride and knew the costs that might follow with the years to come.

Them cheaping out for over a year is absurd. I just can't believe Intamin would take that long to produce the parts needed.

Indy

Hyper Poster
The park INVESTED in the ride and knew the costs that might follow with the years to come.
I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. They bought a prototype. And to your point, there is a certain risk that is accepted when buying a prototype. That said, it's still impossible to fully understand and prepare for the costs that might be incurred in the long run with a prototype. It's literally the first. There is no litmus test for it.
Them cheaping out for over a year is absurd. I just can't believe Intamin would take that long to produce the parts needed.
I'd love to know more details about what is internally happening, but all I can say is that the supply chain issues that have occurred during and in the wake of COVID are no joke. Additionally, most coaster manufacturers don't actually fabricate many of the parts at their shop, especially with specialized systems. If it's a machined part, then they might be able to spit it out in their own facility pretty quickly. But with a launch system, they probably didn't fabricate the part themselves and probably don't have the capability to fabricate it, so Intamin's hands and CF's hands are tied. Neither party can force the fabricator to make the part any quicker, especially considering the fact that we're talking about a launch system that hasn't been produced in almost 15 years.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Heck ya, thanks for sharing! Really keeping up speed over that top hat, so nice to see!

Will be in the area at the end of the month, 26th through the 30th, if it's up and running during that period it's gonna be Xcelerator marathon time for me.

Was at Knott's yesterday...no testing, but a lot of workers in the station. There also a bunch of test dummies lying in the station. They keep moving the train between the breaks and the station. Still no bodywork on the train. Knowing the cult following of Scary Farm they will try to open it before then(September 6th)
This is also when Ghostrider will reopen after it's yearly re-track.

Suposedly it is still testing. The station has been cleaned and re-painted. They will more than likely have it open before Scary Farm due to the sign saying it will open by the end of summer, and the maze right under it's breakrun.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Annnnnnnd according to Reddit there has been a "boom boom incident" in the hydraulic room during testing which has knocked the reopening back several more months. RIP

EDIT: Screamscape's got it too.
So what has happened to Xcelerator at Knott’s Berry Farm? After many witness accounts of seeing crews on site, the ride making empty text runs, and crew members apparently being brought over for re-training ahead of reopening… all has gone SILENT.
According to a source who messaged Screamscape, during testing an issue arose with one of the coaster’s brake units. Like any major theme park ride, there are redundant systems in place, so nothing bad happened and the train stopped as it should, but Knott’s is not going to reopen Xcelerator until it is 100% and now they are waiting on parts (once again) to fit the brake.
This is obviously disappointing to everyone, Knott’s included, as they had been planning on having Xcelerator reopen in time for Knott’s Scary Farm and now clearly that isn’t happening.

Last edited: