What's new

Dodonpa Being Reborn In 2017

Astro61201

Roller Poster
A few questions, apologies if these answers are obvious, I'm just being lazy at the moment:

Is this loop replacing the insane airtime hill?, its a shame if it is, that hill seemed more like a top hat!
Will this loop be taller than full throttles going by the pictures, I assume that it won't be going by the pictures, however it will be nice for someone to clarify.

Thanks!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is this loop replacing the insane airtime hill?, its a shame if it is, that hill seemed more like a top hat!
Yes, earlier in the thread we got two pictures showing the before and after of the hill/loop.
Yeah. You can see in this picture below (taken from the other side) that the top hat used to be right next to the ferris wheel:
aaaggia

I wonder if that means it's gone for good? And if so, what will replace it...?

Will this loop be taller than full throttles going by the pictures, I assume that it won't be going by the pictures, however it will be nice for someone to clarify.
Current estimate is yes, although I don't recall hearing it specifically stated so far.

EDIT: GWAS beat me to it!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I guess S&S want to play safe and avoid another Sirocco, especially on the coaster with the tallest loop on Earth. That would sure make a lot of headlines...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I do still wonder if S&S actually know how to design a coaster.

GaleForce has been a bit of a nightmare, with new track and trains after its first test runs. Now this. It's equal parts hilarious and concerning.

peep

CF Legend
I look forward to seeing the trains going through that, will be interesting to see how much of its speed it loses by the time it gets to the top. Is this also going to officially be the tallest loop?

catsounds

Mega Poster
I look forward to seeing the trains going through that, will be interesting to see how much of its speed it loses by the time it gets to the top. Is this also going to officially be the tallest loop?
Doesn't look like it from that angle but a quick google shows the old hill was 52m tall? so unless there's a loop taller than that i would assume so...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm gonna say that NO, that won't be the biggest loop in the world, as i think Full Throttle's and Flash's looks bigger. I'd say it's probably in the top 5 though...

catsounds

Mega Poster
I'm gonna say that NO, that won't be the biggest loop in the world, as i think Full Throttle's and Flash's looks bigger. I'd say it's probably in the top 5 though...
I couldn't imagine there's any other reason they'd be doing this except to beat that record though? Also isn't full throttle 49m? Dodonpa's hill is 52 and goes over that with some speed so surely this will be the tallest (basing these stats from wiki pages so sorry if i've got the facts wrong :p )

Sneaky

Roller Poster
Don't forget that Dodonpa's track is Huge, so looks might be deceiving.
Also, I think the crane is approximately 60m tall (I know similar cranes can be that tall). If so, the loop could be over 50m tall.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well the booster wheel at the top of the loop is a little odd.

View attachment 1096

Well, that is certainly interesting. Never rode the original so guess I have no right to speak but seems the original hill was probably better, especially since it apparently had some damn good airtime, but guess kudos for mixing it up? Dont know, if it aint broke...

peep

CF Legend
We have official stats! (via some google translating)

Loop diameter: 39.7 m (World's largest * Guinness records acquisition loop of America exceeding 38.75 m diameter in-house investigation)
Loop Height: Approximately 49 m above the ground (160ft)
Maximum speed: 180 km / h ( scheduled ) at 1.8 seconds start * Old Dodonpa maximum speed 172 km / h
Full length: 1,244 m (old Dodonpa 1,189 m)

https://www.fujiq.jp/special/dododonpa/

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So they've gone for the record of largest diameter loop and not tallest loop?

According to thise stats the loop appears to be 1m shorter than Flash which is apparently 50m.