• I hate the pain

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don't care about the pain

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Do you like painful rollercoasters?
I find the pain can really get my adrenaline going. I love headbangers and rough woodies and tons of ejector airtime.
Mean Streak still sucks though. I really want to get some rides in on Ghostrider because I heard it was so rough. I also love a good headbanging ride on an SLC and I live for those Top Spins and double inverters (Submission) I love my Mantis and all my other stand ups. No pain no fun. Do you like the pain?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't enjoy pain, but I can tolerate it.

Some coasters are straight painful, I don't like those. Some coasters are so painful it starts being funny, I don't mind those.

Kinda obvious answer I know, but it's true.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Hixee said:
Some coasters are straight painful, I don't like those. Some coasters are so painful it starts being funny, I don't mind those.

I think that summarizes my feelings quite well.

Some rides like The Ultimate or Grand National somehow manage to be amazing in spite of (or perhaps because of) their roughness. However, those rides are the exception rather than the rule.

I don't mind a few bumps here and there on a ride. Colossus at Thorpe Park is a perfect example. It's a bit rough in places and I wish it wasn't, but it manages to be a reasonable ride regardless.

There's definitely a line though. Many SLCs are pretty unpleasant, and SAW has managed to give me a splitting headache more than once due to it playing pinball with the contents of my skull.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I rode El Condor a few days ago and it was a rough piece of **** and no I didn't enjoy it or enjoy getting my head bashed in!

Darren B

Giga Poster
I have a high pain threshold but don't particularly like painful rides, for me it detracts from the rides experience. A fine example are the 3 major woodies at PBB, all 3 are out and backs' and offer bags of airtime. However Big Dipper and Grand National are extremely painful whilst the Nickelodeon Streak offers a much smoother ride without taking away the masses of airtime, And for this reason i just can't see the appeal of the first 2.

Treeis

Mega Poster
I thought I liked it until I rode Big dipper at Blackpool. I thought I'd never ride a rougher and bumpier ride in my life after that.

And then I rode Infusion.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I like it rough, just not shuffling rough. If there is some natural rougness, I love it, don't like wooden coasters that are glass smooth, but I don't like roughness as in timberwolf, racer, and the thankfully defunct psyclone.

And yes I know that sounds dirty.

Sent from your mom's home

Colossus

Giga Poster
I dont mind a bit of pain, some inverted Vekoma headbanging is always fun, but theres a limit for sure, i thought that when i came on the mouse ride at blackpool that i might require a wheelchair?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Treeis said:
I thought I liked it until I rode Big dipper at Blackpool. I thought I'd never ride a rougher and bumpier ride in my life after that.

I still say that Big Dipper is one of the comfiest, most fun rides in the UK. I'm made of glass but find the ride exceptionally pleasant. There are a few bumps and bashes, but it's character, not real pain. Now, a rough run on Grand National is pain beyond compare. There's no need for it at all, but a good run on the Nash is similar to Big Dipper, but a bit more extreme.

Treeis said:
And then I rode Infusion.
It's not bad actually, bit a of an ear biting on the last inlines, but generally the ride is okay (I didn't ride it last week, but I was suffering from a very bad ride on the the Nash and an Arrow Hyper suppository. My pain tolerance at that point was pretty low.

Anyway, a bit of a bashing is fun and it certainly adds character to a ride in some cases. If it causes bruising (external or internal) and swelling (external or internal), then it's a bad ride and the pain is not a good thing. When you come off, it's a case of was it a fun ride, or was it a painful ride. If it's the former, then any pain you suffered didn't matter as the ride was good. If it's the latter, then the ride is plain bad.

FloridaTix

Roller Poster
For me it's prolonged Gs that I really don't like, especially the negative ones. They can really give me a headache and it just makes the rollercoaster feel slow.

Keep the Gs short and the ride fast I think.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
On rides with lapbars, I can handle a bit of roughness, however with OTSR's I can't stand it as it obviously results in headbanging/neckchopping.

D1993

Hyper Poster
i DESPISE vekoma slc hang n bangs. The ride is so rough you literaly get off with a headache and you werent even able to enjoy the ride. That being said, rides like Rebel Yell, some of those bouncy B&M's, a little rattling in some loopers i dont mind! Also wooden coasters are meant to feel a little rough and thats apart of the fun! I noticed the second time I rode Dominator that it ratted some. I didnt mind it at all.

DDF14

Mega Poster
I love the pain... More G's + or - the better and I have never had a coaster headbang enough to not go back on ever. Although the brake run on a caripro suspended coaster can do some downstairs damage.. Thats about my limit..

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've described this in other threads, but I have a kind of pain/pleasure ratio that I work on.

Basically, if the ride is good enough, then the pain is worth it.

A very simple example would be Shockwave at DMP. It's a little bit rough in places, and the loop can take a chunk out of your ear/neck. However, it's mostly bland, but I adore the zero-g (though I'm liking it less as I get older). No matter what the thoughts of the overall ride, the mediocre pleasure is above the minor pain.

It gets complicated when you get to things like The Ultimate, where I understand where the pleasure is, but the pain factor is so high I just can't justify the hurt for the pleasure. It's a tough one though, because it's such a brilliant ride in parts, but OMG OWWWWWWWW!

So yeah, "it depends" :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Depends on the coaster really. I'll use my Infusion/Odyssey comparison. Infusion is very rough through the in-lines, when it really shouldn't be. Its a nice gentle, slow section of track, yet it tries to murder. JO on the other hand is a bone rattler, but its so fast, and so intense, its enjoyable.

Back seat ride, at night, on the Odyssey is just pure insanity!