Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, never you lonely freak of nature

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
When I tell people that I often enjoy going to the cinema, a comedy gig or a theatre production alone, they give me weird looks.

As much as I enjoy going with friends to these sorts of things, I often realise how much of a burden people are in not being on time which annoys me no end.

In terms of the cinema, whereas most of my friends only tend to want to watch mind-numbing action blockbusters at the cinema, I often prefer watching an independent film or a foreign language film instead which causes conflicts in what we decide to watch.

I'm also a huge comedy fan and like gigs of all sizes, from theatre or arena based gigs to ones in a tiny room in a dingy pub with up and coming comedians, whereas most of my friends only go to see well known and established comics.

If there's something I want to watch, I'll go watch it, whether or not others wish to which means I sometimes go to the cinema, comedy gigs and the theatre alone. I love it. It gives me peace. I get to plan around myself and it's far less stressful than juggling plans around mates.

Anybody else often do this?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It may sound contradictory, but I'm very social when it comes to this kind of thing - but too shy to go out and do things on my own.

Cinema, shows, restaurants, drinking, etc are all things I only actually enjoy with friends. Anything public, I don't like being on my own.

If it's a choice of going out on my own to see a film I really want to watch, or staying in with family and friends doing bugger all, it's always the latter option. I like spending time with people.

Even the solitary things I enjoy like reading and gaming, I put aside if there's something "social" to do.

I guess it helps that I'm pretty patient with people and don't find them burdenous :)

ciallkennett said:
In terms of the cinema, whereas most of my friends only tend to want to watch mind-numbing action blockbusters at the cinema, I often prefer watching an independent film or a foreign language film instead which causes conflicts in what we decide to watch.

The latter I'll always miss at the cinema anyway. I really enjoy the cinema experience, but find that for those kinds of films, they lose little on the small screen when I can grab a couple of hours by myself to watch them. Blockbusters though I try to grab at the cinema, as the large screen and excessive noise helps to overcome the fact they're complete turds.

I've always found it really weird that people can do it, but accept it as pretty normal. Our old MD was really quiet and reserved, but he loved going out on his own when he was away for business and would spend all night sitting in a pub reading, or talking to locals. My current MD is very vivacious and loud, but he's exactly the same as me, and when he's away hates having to interact with strangers. It's just out, buy food, eat it quickly and head back to your room for the night.

I've done the cinema twice on my own on a business trip. I was there for four days and you need something to tide you over for that length, so I went to see two films while I was there in the tiny Hastings cinema. If I'm just there for a night or two, it doesn't even come to mind to do anything like that for entertainment.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Don't get me wrong, a good blockbuster every now and again is fab (I'd class at least one of the films I'm seeing tomorrow as a 'blockbuster') especially in the cinema, but I often give them a miss in favour of films that interest me more or I feel would be harder to find a copy of when released onto DVD ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I have no issue with it. It's not like you're sitting and chatting in the cinema or at the theatre.

I went to a play by myself tonight, mostly because my friends here find anything more highbrow than X Factor a turn off. It was cool though. Got chatting to a few people during the interval and stuff.

Would it have been nice to go with someone else? Sure, but I'm not going to not do something I want based around other people's lack of interest.

Restaurants? Not really. I see that as a much more social thing than the cinema. If I'm on holiday by myself, then yeah I'll eat out alone, but I don't hang around for the ambience.

Going out for drinks? Again, if I'm away from home, then I have no issue with it; it's not hard to meet new people, especially if you're clearly not local. In the UK though, not a chance, and probably not here either since I've got people to out with.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I love enjoying a stupid movie, or any movie, alone. Working at movie theater for 3+ years and not driving when I started meant I got picked up/dropped off when it was convenient, so I started watching parts of/whole movies alone, and on breaks I always checked out the new movies, so it is almost easier for me to go alone than with people. I don't go during peak time alone though, I either go to the early morning on weekdays or late showings on weekends.

Restaraunts are a bit different, even if I'm traveling, I prefer to just get it to go as it feels awkward being alone. Drinks are non issue as I can be socialble if I feel like it, or I can just zone out watching sports or whatever is on if I'm at a bar. Comedy clubs I have never gone to alone though. I would, but people always want to go with.

Ben

CF Legend
I go to the cinema or theatre on my own all the time. I live on my own, so how is sitting in the dark in public any sadder than sitting at home on my own in the dark?

I don't like doing other things like going out on my own though, that'd be weird...

I don't get people who are embarrassed about it, like, OMG CAN'T COPE ON MY OWN.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I'll go to the cinema, shows and theme parks on my own, and not bother too much - don't tend to talk too much during the "main event", but it's sometimes nice to make a few comments afterwards (what were they thinking with those restraints, etc..)

I do eat out too, but that can be a bit lonely to say the least - and awkward if you need to order food at the bar, and make sure noone nicks your table or things!

I don't think I'd go out drinking alone though!

Edward M

Strata Poster
Sometimes, just depends on the movie and who's willing to go. If my parents or siblings don't want to go, and my friends don't either. I'll go myself. Why not?

Mike

Giga Poster
I'm a bit like Furie here and much prefer to be with people if I go out somewhere.

I tend to get really uncomfortable when I'm out on my own. Maybe not so much when I'm on a plane or train, as I can hide away in my seat easily, but I always feel weird walking around a theme park or eating in a sit-down restaurant or similar by myself.

Although I'm fine eating somewhere cheap like McDonald's on my own.

I guess I'm just weird. :p

peep

CF Legend
I go to the cinema alone all the time. After years of just being fed up with people saying one of the following: "Oh I don't want to see that", "I don't have the money" or "I don't have the time".

I'm fine with it, I actually prefer it now. I used to find that if the film wasn't that great I'd feel like I'd let them down and that's just a weird burdenous feeling.

Eating out and that I'm not so confident with. I have done parks etc alone but I find you do need others around you to make it enjoyable (I loathe queuing for a ride alone, I feel awkward for no reason).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
I go to the cinema alone all the time. After years of just being fed up with people saying one of the following: "Oh I don't want to see that", "I don't have the money" or "I don't have the time".

Awwww. I'd always go with you peep, I do love going to the cinema. I just have so much else to occupy my time though, I just don't do it on my own*. If there's somebody else who really wants to see something, then I always make the effort.

*It's also now time away from the family and money out of the family pot for something "selfish", so that's an added factor I guess and prior to the family, I always had a GF or was living with friends who would go to see films with me.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Again like Furie, going to the Cinema is a social event for me.

I don't particularly enjoy doing anything by myself, I go food shopping alone, and this year I've started going to Thorpe Park alone after work during fright nights, and I've done a couple of cred runs alone, but that's it.

I can easily see why people tend to do things alone though, especially the cinema, sometimes it's just easier!

nadroJ

CF Legend
A few times, mostly because I've had a couple of hours to kill whilst waiting for someone to finish work or something like that (had a fair few friends working in cinemas in my time) so it's good for that.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I don't go to the cinema that often so when I do its more of a social thing. My local cinema is in in a shopping centre so its normally a case of looking around the shops, getting food and then watching a film. I'd feel kind of awkward doing all that by myself. Same with the theatre, I usually make a day of it.

I'd never rule out going by myself if I really wanted to see a film that nobody else did, but i've never done it before.