What's new

Dive Machines/Floorless Coasters

BBH

Giga Poster
So I was thinking about floorless coasters and dive coasters today and some questions came across my mind.

- When dispatched, is there a separate button in Automatic running mode to lower the floor, or does the dispatch button lower the floor and dispatch the train on its own?

- How do evacuations work? Does one have to scoot from seat to seat to get to the catwalks?

Answers are appreciated as always, etc. etc.

Maverix

Mega Poster
Not 100% on the first one, but I believe during normal operations the floor is dropped as part of the dispatch sequence.

Second one I know for sure as I've done it, they have a 'floor' that they attach to the car and then can unload the row like normal and you walk down the catwalk to safety.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
They do indeed have a portable/moveable floor that can be placed in front of the row of seats to evac on the lift or MCBR, most of the floorless have a set at the base of the lift and a second set about halfway up. The dives have a set half way up as well.

You can see them in this photo - http://rcdb.com/9647.htm?p=38125 - strapped to the sides of the handrails with orange straps.
Also in this photo - http://rcdb.com/6817.htm?p=51283

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
BBH said:
So I was thinking about floorless coasters and dive coasters today and some questions came across my mind.

- When dispatched, is there a separate button in Automatic running mode to lower the floor, or does the dispatch button lower the floor and dispatch the train on its own?

- How do evacuations work? Does one have to scoot from seat to seat to get to the catwalks?

It is part of the dispatch. (Have operated both dives in America and 2 floorless coasters).
:lol: That imagine is a funny one. As others have mentioned there is a mobile floor that is put into place to stand on. The dive coasters have trolleys, because of the angle of the lift.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
If you see the dive coaster itself, you can see some metal bins on some locations throughout the lift. The metal bins hold the metal floor pieces to make the floor on the train like Maverix said. The trolley has many seats but does not have enough seats to fit the whole train. What the crew does is that they arrive to the train via the trolley and make the floor. Floor pieces are labled by number depending on the place it goes and has snap on mechanism for fast and easy build. Not only on the lift but also at the top of the lift.

bmac

Giga Poster
BBH said:

The dispatch buttons lower the floors in order to dispatch a train forward. The train is not cleared to move forward until the floors are in their resting position (down). When the ride is closed for the night the floor stays down until they move a train into the station.

There are portable floors mounted in all safety areas (blocks) on the ride as Rizzo and Canobiefan have said. The floors have special mounts on them that connect them to the train and make sure the floor is stable for guests to get off the ride. The front row has a special floor that also has handrails mounted on it, which allows guests in the front row to get off. They weigh about 25-35 lbs pending on which one you have to pick up.

Source: I work on Bizarro.

EDIT: Also if for whatever reason the floors need to come up when a train is not in the station there is a combs (what the floors are called) enable button which allows maintenance to raise the floor, it is only accessible when the coaster is in maintenance mode and when the station is not occupied.