What's new

Disney's Hollywood Studios | Star Wars Galaxy's Edge | 2019 Park Expansion

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
We really don't have a dedicated topic for this? I guess this topic could be for both the Florida and California expansions since everything utilizes the same names...

For those that live under a rock (like I usually do), the California version is expected to open sometime in Summer of this year while the Florida version will open before Christmas. California's has a completed Millennium Falcon already, but we have a much more accessible view into Florida's developments via Bioreconstruct's Twitter.

California's Millennium Falcon:

GalaxysEdge.insta_-1.jpg

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12...to-of-the-millenium-falcon-at-star-wars-land/

And more lovely photos from Bioreconstruct:

In addition, someone managed to get their hands on a Disney Cast Member magazine which had a write up with some exclusive photos of the upcoming rides:

Overall, there's a ****load of exciting stuff happening both in Orlando and California. I'm really excited for these lands to open - they look unbelievable.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I remember looking at the construction site for this while riding Slinky this past summer. No picture can do it justice, the area is absolutely massive. It will definitely be a huge hit with the public.

The park is still **** though.

Lofty

CF Legend
FINGERS CROSSED FOR SOFT OPENING IN SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER.

I want that dark ride so much.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think there might have been a thread in News&Rumours, but it must have been lost to the sands of time.

The California version of this land can also be seen under construction in glorious 3D on Google Maps. It's pretty big!

Ethan

Strata Poster
I haven't even seen a Star Wars film in it's entirety but my god... This <3 It's the size of a theme park and it's all going to be incredible. I need to get my arse down to Florida and just try to ignore the fact that I'm in Florida because I need this right now.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
That park was gross walking around in September, the thought of adding Star Wars Land gives me legit crowd anxiety.

Beautiful and all, but I'll wait 7(?) years til it becomes just end of day capacity, rather than an hour after opening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matt N

CF Legend
My god; that theming looks absolutely immense! I can't wait to see the construction of this land in person when I'm in Hollywood Studios in April!

I reckon that with this land, they could potentially equal or even top Universal Studios Florida in the studio park stakes. And that's saying something, as Universal Studios Florida is amazing, in my opinion!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It pisses me off to see how quickly the US parks can throw this stuff up while in Hong Kong it's taken over a year and a half to retrofit a shooting dark ride, and the last major addition - a simulator - was under construction for around 3 years.

peep

CF Legend
It pisses me off to see how quickly the US parks can throw this stuff up while in Hong Kong it's taken over a year and a half to retrofit a shooting dark ride, and the last major addition - a simulator - was under construction for around 3 years.

I always think Orlando takes forever to build stuff (how long did it take to put up a few multi-story car parks up at Springs?) but yeah HK does seem to really faff about. I know with Orlando it tends to be due to limited construction crews as they're so spread out over lots of projects but with HK is it more of a budget issue? (P.S. Great to finally see that castle extension going vertical)

I'm really excited for Rise of the Resistance, there were so many crazy rumours regarding this ages ago and all the images we've seen of the interior look incredible. I also love all the entrances into the area, some remind me of Diagon Alley in Universal, the area being quite hidden until you enter and you get really immersed into this new World to explore. Gonna be quite a few years till I'll experience it though, the first few years are going to have obscene queues.

I also saw the scale of it in Cali from the top of the treehouse the other year and yeah pictures do not do this area justice, the whole thing is ridiculous.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I always think Orlando takes forever to build stuff (how long did it take to put up a few multi-story car parks up at Springs?) but yeah HK does seem to really faff about. I know with Orlando it tends to be due to limited construction crews as they're so spread out over lots of projects but with HK is it more of a budget issue? (P.S. Great to finally see that castle extension going vertical)

I doubt it's budget since that side of it gets approved plenty of time in advance. I'd guess it's down to general red-tape bollocks. EVERY government construction project here runs massively overtime (and usually over budget), so it doesn't surprise me that it happens at Disney, too, given that it's half owned by the government, who probably get to decide on contractors etc. I imagine if it were left entirely to Disney, it'd get done in a much more timely fashion.

Lofty

CF Legend
40% increase in terms of time of year seems so high to me. Even Universal has only a 20% increase.

Mickey and his bulging pockets.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I did hear/read something a year or two ago about Disney raising their prices to keep crowds at a good level, and to basically start pricing people out instead of parks hitting capacity and people being refused entry that way. Does sound plausible although I can't remember the source so it could be a load of crap...

Hutch

Strata Poster
Thing is, people will still pay for it. It'll bother everyone and maybe a few peeps will turn away from it, but with so many tourists coming in from all over the world for Disney, they'll pay.

The crowd controlling idea is interesting though.

Either way, good for Disney?

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yep, either way it's good for them. Hopefully with this extra cash they'll start paying their staff decent wages so Disneyland cast members can stop sleeping in their cars...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Alicia Stella's latest podcast talks in great detail about the two attractions for Galaxy's Edge, especially the trackless dark ride. The things mentioned about the ride in the podcast are too detailed/complex to easily explain in my own words, but oh my...

I don't even like Star Wars, but I think this could be the best attraction ever?

The podcast is a long one, so I recommend watching/listening when you have the time to focus on it without skipping through. They don't really gabble so it's easy to miss things.

peep

CF Legend
Damn, if any of the Rise of the resistance stuff is true it'll be awesome, especially the Tower drop sequence.

Still think the Falcon ride will be a bit underwhelming but intrigued to hear what people think once it opens.