What's new

Discovery World, Tawain?

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
My family is going to a wedding in tawian. Don't ask me who it is, some distant cousin from Canada that moved to Tawain.

To the questions: Is this park worth the money and the time? I really wanted to go becuase of Gravity Max but my mom doesn't want to go. I have to convine her, not hard, but reading from Coaster Force would help. I know that I just posted that I was going "downunder" but this was a last minute thing. We are going to Tawain for Spring Break, 1st week of April. Come to think of it, is the park even open at that time?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Taiwan has a sub-tropical climate, so the parks are open year round. I was there in February a couple of years ago and it was already getting really warm.

Where in Taiwan will you be going? I'm going to assume Taipei for the sake of this reply.

The park is definitely worth it if you've got time, if only for Gravity Max. The other coaster really isn't up to much, but the water ride is pretty good. It's about 90 minutes from Taipei if I remember correctly, by bus, but will be faster is someone is driving. When I was there a couple of years ago, the all-inclusive pass was only about 5 or 6 quid. It's probably gone up a by a bit, but it will still be really cheap.

A much better park overall is Leofoo Village, just outside Taipei. It's the easiest one to get to as well.

http://www.coasterforce.com/leofoo_village

There's only one good coaster out of three (Screaming Condor), but the park is gorgeous.

Formosan is also possible as a day trip. UFO is an awesome drop tower, but everything else is pretty meh when it comes to the rides. It's mostly all about local culture though, so you may be able to swing the parents with that and whore the rides while they potter about the recreated villages.

http://www.coasterforce.com/Formosan_Aboriginal_Culture_Village

A Mack water coaster has been added since I made that guide, too.

Anyway, if you need more information, let me know.

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
The wedding is in Chiayi. There are three days that mom has set aside for "sight seeing". There is going to be a shopping day that is the only thing that is planned now for those three days. Mom wants to hop over to Japan for another week and if we do that then we are going to the Tokyo Dome one of those days. The problem being, she doesn't want to go to LaQua if we don't go to Discovery World. Don't ask me why she has this limit, she's crazed. How long of a drive is it to the park from Chiayi?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
From Chiyayi, you're roughly the same distance from Discovery World as you would be from Taipei, only you're south of it, whereas Taipei is north. I would say that you're still looking at about two hours to get there.

However, you are very, very close to Janfusun Fancyworld, probably half an hour at the most, which has 2 B&M coasters (G5 and Insane Speed) and has recently opened a big water park, too.

http://www.coasterforce.com/janfusun_fancy_world

It took me a while because it was first time to try it, but I've just made this map to give you more of an idea:

taiwanparks.jpg

Red = Chiyayi City
Yellow = Janfusun Fancyworld
Purple = Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village
Blue = Discovery World
Pink = Leofoo Village

Realistically, you'd be much better off heading to Janfusun (20-30 minutes) and/or Formosan (around an hour). You can trick the parents into believing that Formosan is a sightseeing trip anyway as it's mostly an open air museum dedicated to traditional Taiwanese culture. There just so happens to be a bunch of rides for you to enjoy, too!

Hope that helps.