What's new

Disabled cricketer Chessington OUTRAGE!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update ... park-ride/

Dude picks up Chessington's disabled pass, which he says allows him to "queue jump"... In his own words. He tries to go on their flying elephants and is told that he will need to ride with someone over 14 and is thus denied riding with his son.

OUTRAGE!

I brought this here not because it's worthy news, but because I'd like to know what people actually think. Does he have a point? Is he being a prick?

My opinion is that, since he seems to think he's perfectly able, he should remove his pass and go queue up with everyone else. Whilst on this specific ride for this specific person he might be fine, you can't judge everything on a case by case basis, and blanket rules are required to be enforced. By gaining the benefits of the disabled pass you've got to abide by the negatives.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The policy is I imagine that as a disabled guest you must have a carer with you as the operator is not allowed to assist with entering and exiting the ride, including evacuations to avoid liability issues. So that carer must be at least over 14 with is pretty lenient anyway.

Seeing as Merlin are very much focused on ensuring their safety procedures (which to an extent this policy is) are followed to a T. This is not surprising.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
He's being a bit of a prick, really isn't he? Tried to have it both ways, it backfired, so he's thrown his toys out of the pram.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Without bothering to waste my data allowance and actually watch the video, I'm going to go with prick.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
bob_3_ said:
The policy is I imagine that as a disabled guest you must have a carer with you as the operator is not allowed to assist with entering and exiting the ride, including evacuations to avoid liability issues. So that carer must be at least over 14 with is pretty lenient anyway.

Seeing as Merlin are very much focused on ensuring their safety procedures (which to an extent this policy is) are followed to a T. This is not surprising.

Is the right answer...

Surely he would've been informed about this when picking up his disabled wristband on the day? Though I know that GS never tended to fully explain the rules about the card (you have to wait until this time to use it again etc)...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Without watching the video or bothering to do any further investigating, I hope Chessington responded firmly explaining that the procedures are in place for his safety. Merlin, or any park operator, really need to respond with a iron fist to these type of claims and not with apologetic sympathy.

If you are disabled in some way, unfortunately there are some things in life you can't do. Yes, I know it's harsh and unfair but it's reality. I wish people would stop capitalising on their "flaws" and get on with life without complaining.

ems991

Roller Poster
After watching his interview that he says what if he was a single parent

Alton Towers are currently being very strict on their you must have 1x adult for every child under the height of 0.9m or whatever it is. What if I was a single parent with 2 kids under that height?

How could I go on the flumes?

Would there be outrage?

More to the point how would you fit two grown adults in one of those elephants?