What's new

Describing your interest in all things coaster to people?

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Re: Describing your interest in all things coaster to people

Jordanovichy said:
Jamesss said:
For me, saying "I'm a roller coaster enthusiast" to people just feels weird and bit nerdy.

I have to agree with Jamesssssssssssssssssssssssss here. I cringe when I say 'I'm a roller coaster enthusiast', if feels so nerdy, odd and even a little childish, I don't know what it is about it, I'll say I like visiting parks around the world. When cred whoring and trying to get a burdenous cred I'll say 'I need the cred' and they have usually had enough [strike]fools[/strike] goons asking for the same so know what I'm on about. I will resist saying 'oooh, I'm a roller coaster enthusiast', I know thats what I am but it just doesn't sound right...it's hard to put my finger on why really.

PREACH!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

ThomVD said:
^ Didn't you know? If you reach the age of 21, you're not allowed to have fun anymore. Just some basic life rules :wink:. Seriously though, people who say that usually don't have anything they love to do in their lives, so they throw their frustration on people actually having hobbies and stuff they love to do in their spare time. There is nothing wrong with loving coasters at any age. Same goes for gaming.

Nemesis Inferno said:
ThomVD said:
I find that a lot of people find everything "nerdy" or "for losers" if they don't share the hobby. If you love games, you're a loser. If you love theme parks, you're a weirdo. If you love fantasy/science fiction films, you're a nerd. If you're into rock/metal music, you're a goth. etc. etc.

I'm into all of these things :lol:

Me too! Hooray for LoserWeirdoNerdGoth Force :)

jj23w

Hyper Poster

I think you'll find half of my friends ( mainly work lot) are coaster mad. At school I was bullied so I didn't really give a damn about people knowing I'm an Enthsiast, I just don't say I'm an enthusiast because it just sounds cringey.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

Back when I was at school, I put something about me being interested roller coasters in one of my French assignments - knowing that the rest of my class wouldn't understand it since most were useless at French. What I didn't expect was for my teacher to ANNOUNCE it to the class... in friggin' English. She goes, "Oh! Really?! You're interested in roller coasters? What an unusual hobby! Tell us more about it!" before making me embarrassingly explain my hobby to 30 of my peers.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I've never understood these "how do you tell people?" topics, as if you have to "come out" to friends and family that you like going to amusement parks. You like roller coasters; you're not mainlining heroine and beating your kids.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I agree with Gavin... I think the problem is some people go about it in the weirdest possible way.

I don't really even tell people irl, they just start to notice I go A LOT?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I don't go into detail, because why would I? IF I'm asked a hobby, I say roller coasters, then someone says that isn't a hobby, everyone laughs, I move on. Then someone will ask a question, I answer if I know it (which I typically do) and that's that.

Some friends joke about it, others go with me to parks, but doesn't matter what they think. Enjoy what you enjoy and if people wanna talk ****, tell them to go **** a goat or something.

dc006f5086

Roller Poster

I've never had any issues with what people think or having to describe it, I don't really go about preaching my interests however most people clocked on some time ago. Generally people think it's rather interesting, and it is as normally we end up in a long conversation about it, everyone has a hobby and personally this certainly is one of the better ones out there. I'd take being launched 0-60 in 2.5secs any day over Golf or Football.

However, saying that my close friends do like to make some friendly banter about it, but such is life. :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

gavin said:
I've never understood these "how do you tell people?" topics, as if you have to "come out" to friends and family that you like going to amusement parks. You like roller coasters; you're not mainlining heroine and beating your kids.
Yeah, it's almost like some people are ashamed to be a theme park/rollercoaster enthusiast. I think the key is to have it as part of your life but don't let it define you.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

I doubt there's many people here who would purposely avoid telling anyone about it due to shame (or feel they have to "come out" about it :lol:). It's just as with any unusual hobby, you're always going to get some people who think it's weird, so sometimes that makes things a bit awkward.

Luckily I think this hobby is unheard-of enough that there isn't really a stereotype for it (at least here in the UK.) So whilst you do get the occasional weird look, you also get plenty of people who think it's really cool.

Rachel

Coaster MILF

Other than my close friends and family no one really knows about the extent of my coaster enthusiasm. A few colleagues have picked up on the fact that a lot of my holidays involve theme parks but people are normally fairly interested when I explain there's a whole enthusiast culture.

I don't see a problem with telling anyone about it though, its a hobby just like any other. Some people like football or cars or comics - we like roller coasters :).

I might mention it in that awkward "first introduction" things they make you do in a classroom or in a work setting (**** those things though, I always break out into a sweat and lose my train of thought), but I don't really blab on about them. When I was in grade school I did, but my enthusiasm for technical aspects of parks has kind of died and is now more just enjoying company and a good time. I enjoy them more than the average person, sure, but I don't bust out technical knowledge to friends or coworkers who I know don't really give a flying ****. Sometimes I'll go on a rant to family or my boyfriend or whatever, but that's about it. It's not embarrassing, it's just not something that comes up a lot.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

gavin said:

This particular one is more about how do you tell people when you decide to bring it up/someone else does rather than it being something you feel the need to get out and tell everyone about. It's about how you talk about it if it comes up in conversation. Everyone has different experiences of it (and has met and talked to different people) so it's interesting to see what their opinions are of it.

I like being part of an unusual hobby community as it makes it feel a bit special! The forums are personal enough that people can have good in-depth discussions and there's space for everyone to have a say.

VF15

Roller Poster

When I have conversations about coasters with other people, I usually don't go too far in depth because I don't need everyone thinking that I'm super nerdy, plus they'll get bored if I talk about them for too long.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

I personally have no problem expressing my love for roller coasters but it does feel a bit weird since I dont share it with anyone close to me. I also dont want to sound like those people who shove an interest down someone's throat either so I dont force nor expect people to like it. But hey, different is the new normal and I'm happy liking coasters.