What's new

Dar's Generic Ride Manufacturer Rides - GRMR #4

Dar

Hyper Poster
Got NL2 and started farting about with it. Tried a Suspended swinging coaster but that was a bit ambitious for a first go, so I went for MACK launcher instead!

Top:
qlOTDuj.jpg

Right:
uYzjrwP.png

Back:
gktwXn9.png

vidya:
[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM8gHU8yh38[/youtubevid]

Criticism welcomed! :p
(I haven't got the hang of supporting yet, so I left them off for now)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm assuming this is an FVD design (just based on your node spacing)?

Looks really nice, I'm impressed! It did feel a little drawn out in places, but very smooth.

Dar

Hyper Poster
It's all handmade apart from the cobra roll, which I did through the "add element" option! So I'll take that as a compliment! :p

The spacing is probably because I used NL1 before so I just carried on with that way of placing them? It seems easier to control the shape instead of trusting the editor to know what I want?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Dar said:
It's all handmade apart from the cobra roll, which I did through the "add element" option! So I'll take that as a compliment! :p

The spacing is probably because I used NL1 before so I just carried on with that way of placing them? It seems easier to control the shape instead of trusting the editor to know what I want?
Brilliant work then!

On first inspection I thought your nodes all seemed too uniform, but now I've looked a bit closer I can see they're not. Very good work!

Dar

Hyper Poster
Re: Dar's Generic Ride Manufacturer Rides

Looks like Generic Ride Manufacturer has fired up their CAD software again
lDdEf1N.png

We'll have to wait and see what they're planning! (mostly because I don't know yet :p)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm... not much to go off. :lol:

All we do know is that it has two and three/four rail tracks! ;)

Dar

Hyper Poster
It's mostly finished now! I just can't decide if it should stay as a Gerst Infinity 2 style or the mack launcher style!

The bulk of the actual ride is done, I just can't figure out how to get it back to the station! Plus it needs a fair amount of smoothing and de-sucking in certain places :p
Mh8GYwN.png

Dar

Hyper Poster
Ta, it's amazing how creative the brain can become when it's supposed to be writing a dissertation! The final straight bit will probably become a twisted airtime hill, due to the fact that it smashes into the pre-lift at the moment :p

Dar

Hyper Poster
Re: Dar's Generic Ride Manufacturer Rides - GRMR #6

I guess now's as good a time as any to learn how to support a ride

Mc2Glap.jpg

Dar

Hyper Poster
Supporting is much easier than I thought it would be, I guess all the nodes and connections make it look really complicated and intricate.

GRMR #6 is definitely progressing!
b4rgy5r.jpg

Dar

Hyper Poster
Was supporting GRMR#6 when I remembered that I never finished GRMR#5! I totally lost inspiration once I finished my dissertation, but I've come back to it and made a couple of changes to some elements and did a bit of general smoothing. It's still not perfect and I'm sure there's lots that can be done to it, but at this point I just want it finished!

Anyhoo, here's some pictures:

Top:
oRHkDAc.jpg

Left:
Gwvlh5k.jpg

Front:
w2XWfcn.jpg

3D Perspective #1:
4NQUyeO.jpg

#2:
NYGZA3h.jpg

#3:
kFbXkdd.jpg

Full album:
http://imgur.com/a/b4izx

Youtube video:
[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fBC3ewDzF8[/youtubevid]

Comments, criticisms, advice welcomed! Now, to get back to supporting the B&M behemoth!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sorry for the delay in replying. I was away from my computer for a few weeks and am just catching up.

Regarding GRMR#5 - From the looks of the video it's pretty good, my only real comment is that it feels a bit too drawn out in places. It might not be coming across terribly well in the YT video, but it just didn't feel that punchy. It was, however, very smooth and flowed fairly well.

Regarding GRMR#6 - Just watch the number of supports you're using. It feels like it's possibly a little over supported compared to a normal B&M. Comparing your photo:
b4rgy5r.jpg

To one of an actual B&M hill:
Shambhala%20Himalayan%20themed%20roller%20coaster%20in%20PortAventura,%20Spain

Would also make your life easier supporting, as you won't have to do as many. :p

Dar

Hyper Poster
Yeah, I know what you mean about the Mack one. To be honest, I lost my muse with it, and I tried to add a MCBR after I'd finished the layout and by the time I'd realised it wouldn't work, I'd ruined the flow of the ride and couldn't recover it! I probably shouldn't have shown it off, but I think it's good to get feedback on the bad stuff and the good!

With the B&M I thought it looked a bit over supported :p I'm probably going to go back and delete every other one, except at the bottom of the lift because I love the tunnel effect it creates!

Thanks for the comments though, it's really helpful and encouraging :)

Dar

Hyper Poster
*Blows dust off thread*
There, that's better!

I was tapping away at a design that I just could not get to come together, it was either rough, lumpy, too long, too short, or any combination of the above! So I gave up on it and cast it into the fire of an ADHDer's hard drive.

Until the pandemic. I got bored and went though the old designs folder and found this, I always liked it for the twisty first couple elements, but still couldn't get it to work. So I gave it to my better half (who is WAY better at NL than I am) to rework the track. He deleted half of it and came up with the ending! Something occurred and I was caught in Thalia the muse's grip.

GRMR11 is the first project that I've been driven to FINISH finish; supports, theming, terrain work, and even so far as actually giving it a proper name 😮

Still got some corrections to make and generally tidy the thing up, but I'm pretty happy with it at this point!

Anyway, here's GRMR11 or "Festival of fire/lava/the volcano" (I haven't decided yet :p ) :
Back:
hKp8Qlx.jpg

Right:
c9xY049.jpg

Top:
Cpvvabj.jpg

Perspective:
wJGYvmZ.jpg

I made a wooden queue???
lbpC9A4.jpg

And here's a video, sorry for the quality but I dared to add scenery and this is TESTING my poor laptop :(

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean, it has a flying-snake-dive - I love it already. :p

Dar

Hyper Poster
No, YOU'RE not dealing well with lockdown and are turning to unhealthy coping mechanisms. I'M fine.
Screenshot_121.jpg
Mostly finished the supports, a few adjustments need making for space and angles. Changed my mind about the queue though and went for a big boardwalk instead.
I made a separate coaster for the queue, making a couple tunnels under the volcano and a bit of outside under the coaster. Just need to figure out how to join it up to the station entrance now lol

The footers on the left are markers for the edge of the second, family, coaster I'm putting in. For some reason.

Side note: Anybody got any tips for building big, flat surfaces that doesn't involve thousands of individual beam nodes or, like I've done there ^, manipulating fences to make floors?