What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I find it odd that the coaster towers over the Jaguar Shrine. Kind of dwarfs it a tad...

@Hixee and I had a good quick back and forth on this topic a few pages back...

5SkefQy.png

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Interestingly, it appears as though Merlin have reused part of the operator cabin from Ripsaw at Alton Towers as theming for this area:
It looks like they've actually made it fit in quite nicely! The rest of the area theming looks really nice, too!
That's the cab, the op panel was in the back of the lorry that's been removed and replaced with container

Climb

Mega Poster
I'm impressed with how the area is looking so far. Think it'll be a great addition for Chessie but the entire team who came up with that tragic name deserve a disciplinary.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Pretty cool view of the site. Never actually realised the station is right next to Vampires tunnel before..

Was thinking the other day, I wonder if we will ever find out what Wardley meant when he said "B&M solved the capacity problem on shuttle coasters" or was he just talking out his arse..?

catsounds

Mega Poster
^ Pretty cool view of the site. Never actually realised the station is right next to Vampires tunnel before..

Was thinking the other day, I wonder if we will ever find out what Wardley meant when he said "B&M solved the capacity problem on shuttle coasters" or was he just talking out his arse..?
could it literally mean choosing a B&M solves the problem because they have 4 in a row instead of 2 like most shuttles?

toofpikk

Mega Poster
@holtjammy16 way back on page 18 I said the same thing but I conversation changed topic soon after.

Have we considered that we're looking toooooo bigger picture here? and actually the capacity solving is rather than having what is generally a standard 2 seater row, to solve this issue they're using wing trains which are 4 seater? Sure John talks about it quite non-chalantly, but isn't it still to be officially announced as a wing coaster(?) and he talks about the feat of incorporating such a big ride type into limited space with the infrastructure it requires...
I've seen some crude sketches on twitter of seats facing back to back, so each arm has 4 seats, or 8 seats a car.... but knowing it's merlin i wouldnt be surprised if the solution they have found is to just use a 4 seater rather than a 2 seater ride type?

Yes, I think you're right. It would be interesting to see if there are any further modifications to the standard wing coaster. A lot of people got excited by John's comments but I really think the simple answer is the cars themselves are higher capacity, even if the train is half as long as a normal vekoma model. kinda a null point.

Matt N

CF Legend
@holtjammy16 way back on page 18 I said the same thing but I conversation changed topic soon after.

Yes, I think you're right. It would be interesting to see if there are any further modifications to the standard wing coaster. A lot of people got excited by John's comments but I really think the simple answer is the cars themselves are higher capacity, even if the train is half as long as a normal vekoma model. kinda a null point.
The Giant Inverted Boomerang also has 4-across rows, though, so I'm not sure that that's necessarily the answer.

Intriguingly, John could also have been talking from the standpoint of Wing Coasters as well as shuttle coasters, because if I'm remembering correctly, he also said that "Wing Coasters are usually a right pain to load and unload, but Chessington have solved the issue" or something along those lines...

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The train is on the track!

And because this project is weird for the sake of being weird, it appears that not all rows face the same direction, but it is not an even divide, with seemingly only one row (the 'back row') facing the other way.

There is currently a casting call for the advert for the area, which suggests that filming onsite for the advert will take place in late April.

It incorrectly states a 1.1m height restriction for the coaster, though. However, if the date is correct, one would assume that a May opening is likely.

Matt N

CF Legend
It would appear that the back to back seating theory was incorrect, as those rows certainly don’t appear to have back to back seating…

That does make John Wardley’s comments about them “solving the capacity problem” a real head scratcher, however…

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to double post, but on an intriguing side note, RCDB has put a number of stats for Mandrill Mayhem onto the database: https://rcdb.com/20349.htm

They suggest that the ride stats are as follows:
  • Length: 1,246.7ft/380m
  • Height: 65.6ft/20m
  • Speed: 44.7mph/72kph
  • Riders per Train: 24
Based on the Noise Impact Assessment, which stated that the ride’s train would spend 1 minute negotiating the ride track and 1 minute loading and unloading riders, it can be inferred that the ride will dispatch a train every 2 minutes, leading to a theoretical throughput of 720 riders per hour based on RCDB’s 24 riders per train figure.

The 24 riders per train figure was corroborated by the Noise Impact Assessment, and the train appeared to potentially have 6 rows in the recently released photos, so I think it’s fairly likely to be accurate.

Interestingly, RCDB also categorises the Chessington ride and the Legoland Deutschland ride alongside the full-size Wing Coasters, suggesting that the hardware differences between Mandrill Mayhem and something like The Swarm may not be as pronounced as some expect. The reason this is notable is because the Family Inverted Coaster is categorised as a separate model from the full-size Inverted Coaster, so I wondered whether Mandrill Mayhem and Mythica Coaster may be categorised separately to the full-size Wing Coasters.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
That does make John Wardley’s comments about them “solving the capacity problem” a real head scratcher, however…

At this point, John is a marketing mouthpiece for Merlin really. I think people need to stop taking his comments so literally and to heart, and treat them with the same pinch of salt one would whilst reading a PR release.

Matt N

CF Legend
At this point, John is a marketing mouthpiece for Merlin really. I think people need to stop taking his comments so literally and to heart, and treat them with the same pinch of salt one would whilst reading a PR release.
John has been pretty candid in the past, though; he has been known to criticise Merlin’s USP-driven strategy, and he notoriously said that Wicker Man’s original first drop was “absolutely atrocious”…

Besides, even if he had been specifically told to say something good about Chessington’s coaster and talk about it in a positive light, surely there are many things he could have said before talking about the capacity?

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
John has been pretty candid in the past, though; he has been known to criticise Merlin’s USP-driven strategy, and he notoriously said that Wicker Man’s original first drop was “absolutely atrocious”…

Besides, even if he had been specifically told to say something good about Chessington’s coaster and talk about it in a positive light, surely there are many things he could have said before talking about the capacity?
His comments about the 'solving the capacity problem with shuttle coasters' would most likely be referring to fact that B&M are using wing coaster trains on this ride.