What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Northern Ireland Scotland, North East England, North West England, Yorkshire and the Humber and Wales have been designated as high risk areas.
Restrictions are spreading - I should imagine only a matter of time before they blanket the whole country. Slightly surprised they haven't, to be honest.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Large numbers of people in rural areas round here take exception at being lumped in with their urban cousins.
Blackburn boundary to the Ribble valley is the local hotspot...I live in Blackburn, and have to ring a loud bell and shout "unclean" when I get to some of my posher houses in the valley.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Bringing back an update to the quarterly reports conversation since Cedar Fair released preliminary results for the third quarter of the year, which showed an 11.9 million drop in attendance numbers at its parks and net revenues of between $85 million and $90 million, down from $715 million the year before. The company also reported roughly $574 million in total liquidity, which is expected to keep the company afloat through 2021.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As you can see, there is no evidence at all of this second wave coming anywhere close to being as deadly as the first.
I think one should be careful with comparing the numbers of the first and second wave, because in the beginning of the first wave the quality of data was ... not good. To exaggerate a little: in order to qualify to get tested for Covid one practically had to be dying from it already, and if someone died anywhere close to a hospital with a Covid patient in it, they would be counted as a Covid death. There's reason to believe the number of cases in the first wave was significantly under-reported, while the number of deaths could be over-reported. Nowadays, testing has ramped up a couple orders of magnitude, while death statistics are collected with greater accuracy. Having fewer hospitalized patients to care for, and a less stressful PPE situation, leaves more time for accurate book-keeping.

The second wave is being fought much more competently than the first, and with a better starting point than the chaotic situation of early March. But if it got out of control again, we'd be likely to see similar numbers to the first wave. That is, higher numbers, because this time we're better at counting them.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think one should be careful with comparing the numbers of the first and second wave, because in the beginning of the first wave the quality of data was ... not good. To exaggerate a little: in order to qualify to get tested for Covid one practically had to be dying from it already, and if someone died anywhere close to a hospital with a Covid patient in it, they would be counted as a Covid death. There's reason to believe the number of cases in the first wave was significantly under-reported, while the number of deaths could be over-reported. Nowadays, testing has ramped up a couple orders of magnitude, while death statistics are collected with greater accuracy. Having fewer hospitalized patients to care for, and a less stressful PPE situation, leaves more time for accurate book-keeping.

The second wave is being fought much more competently than the first, and with a better starting point than the chaotic situation of early March. But if it got out of control again, we'd be likely to see similar numbers to the first wave. That is, higher numbers, because this time we're better at counting them.
That is (more or less) literally my point :)

Deaths were over reported, but that was corrected a while back now, when they tightened up the counting method and removed a load from the figures. It’s now more likely they were under reported due to the lack of testing. (excess deaths for the period exceeds confirmed covid deaths.)

Also, I would say there is more at play in terms of ‘keeping the numbers down’ than just the measures in place, just look at countries that haven’t introduced as many new measures as examples. Immunity is likely playing a huge role, evidenced by the fact we’re seeing very small rises in areas that suffered worse the first time around. Importantly these were some of the most populated areas. Some of the measures are definitely helping. Others, I imagine are making things worse, just look at the mass parties, use of public transport, etc at 10pm in most cities and towns of a weekend.

Other than that, I completely agree with the core of your post. And it is a point I’ve been trying to make. This wave is still less than 10% of the first wave at this stage, due to the lack of testing the first time around. If we are sensible, wear masks, distance, wash our hands, follow the common sense rules, I don’t think there will be much need for further harsh national measures.

My worry is, we’re not exactly a nation of obedient rule followers, are we? If more people don’t take it seriously, then we may well end up in trouble :/

More reasons to be envious of Germany :( The rules there are minimal, but they seem to be followed to the letter, by almost everyone... And it’s working :(

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Other than that, I completely agree with the core of your post. And it is a point I’ve been trying to make. This wave is still less than 10% of the first wave at this stage, due to the lack of testing the first time around. If we are sensible, wear masks, distance, wash our hands, follow the common sense rules, I don’t think there will be much need for further harsh national measures.

So basically, I don't have to clap every Thursday at 8pm just yet.

Professor

Anyone else thinking we could have imminent panic lockdown in the UK? I can't see what else can be down to drive figures down.
I think the government is partly waiting till we get close to half term and perhaps extend it by a week or two before and/or after.

The cases are now skyrocketing with some predictions we could soon hit 100,000 positive cases per day.
That could be a lot of daily deaths. :-(

I guess it is a good thing theme parks are mostly getting to the end of their seasons but I can't even see them being open by Halloween or the week before if this accelerated rise continues over the weekend and into next week. They could well lose out on half term. Pretty grim. But it appears to be the same all over west Europe. Netherlands going badly. Poland are recording their highest daily deaths so far. Seems this second wave is going to hit them much more than the first.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Anyone else thinking we could have imminent panic lockdown in the UK? I can't see what else can be down to drive figures down.
I think the government is partly waiting till we get close to half term and perhaps extend it by a week or two before and/or after.

The cases are now skyrocketing with some predictions we could soon hit 100,000 positive cases per day.
That could be a lot of daily deaths. :-(

I guess it is a good thing theme parks are mostly getting to the end of their seasons but I can't even see them being open by Halloween or the week before if this accelerated rise continues over the weekend and into next week. They could well lose out on half term. Pretty grim. But it appears to be the same all over west Europe. Netherlands going badly. Poland are recording their highest daily deaths so far. Seems this second wave is going to hit them much more than the first.
I’m still optimistically (naively?) looking at countries like Spain and thinking we can’t be too far off the natural peak of this second wave.

We can’t hit 100k a day surely? The US only hit around 80k with 5x our population ?

Having said that, a short sharp lockdown to arrest the numbers wouldn’t be too bad, but all it would do is force it to spread more amongst households if it was too short.

My prediction is a return to stage 2 of unlocking, so no mixing with other households, and the closure, or severe limiting of hospitality and leisure to tie in with the holidays.

Edited to add:

My missus completed the Yorkshire 3 peak challenge on Saturday, 26 mile hike up and down 3 mountains. The weather was absolutely dreadful.

On Tuesday she developed a nasty cough, sore throat, and loss of taste amongst other things. We knew it was a cold from Saturday but because the law is the law, and we wanted to play it safe, we booked a test.

Test booked at 11:30am Tuesday

Test taken at 12:30pm Tuesday

Negative result received by 3pm Wednesday

The testing system seems to be doing very well at the minute!!!

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I’m still optimistically (naively?) looking at countries like Spain and thinking we can’t be too far off the natural peak of this second wave.

We can’t hit 100k a day surely? The US only hit around 80k with 5x our population ?

Having said that, a short sharp lockdown to arrest the numbers wouldn’t be too bad, but all it would do is force it to spread more amongst households if it was too short.

My prediction is a return to stage 2 of unlocking, so no mixing with other households, and the closure, or severe limiting of hospitality and leisure to tie in with the holidays.

Edited to add:

My missus completed the Yorkshire 3 peak challenge on Saturday, 26 mile hike up and down 3 mountains. The weather was absolutely dreadful.

On Tuesday she developed a nasty cough, sore throat, and loss of taste amongst other things. We knew it was a cold from Saturday but because the law is the law, and we wanted to play it safe, we booked a test.

Test booked at 11:30am Tuesday

Test taken at 12:30pm Tuesday

Negative result received by 3pm Wednesday

The testing system seems to be doing very well at the minute!!!
Now that's quite a quick turnaround

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It seems Walibi Holland's fright night event yesterday did not go well and they have now cancelled the event completely!

At first it mentions a ‘call to stay at home’ Has the Netherlands issued such a call? Or was that the park?

If the Neetherlands has issued such a call, why is the park still opening at all? ?

davidm

Strata Poster
They put out a tweet last night saying "we have problems, please stay at home if you are coming".

I'd also read that the problems were covid-restriction-non-compliance but dug around a bit more and was not sure that that was true - but seems a bit extreme to pull the whole event after the first if it was something that they could change. As you say the park is still operating - all very strange.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
They put out a tweet last night saying "we have problems, please stay at home if you are coming".

I'd also read that the problems were covid-restriction-non-compliance but dug around a bit more and was not sure that that was true - but seems a bit extreme to pull the whole event after the first if it was something that they could change. As you say the park is still operating - all very strange.
Oh I see, that is a bit odd :/

I wonder if they realised they sold too many tickets... The post basically says “if you stayed at home, thanks, have a refund, if you still came, but didn’t enjoy the packed crowds, have a free ticket for 2021”

Makes me wonder how it would be so packed if some people had followed the request and stayed at home.

Anyway, I shouldn’t really speculate. But it will be interesting to find out some more details.

Professor

I don't really care for Halloween or scare mazes at all but I still find it weird so many parks went ahead with these events at a time we were possibly expecting a second wave.

Some decorations sure, but actual events to draw people into the same spot at the same time? I don't get it.

Totally no social distancing going on at Walibi and it looks far busier than it was on a hot summer's day when I was there last year (opening week of Untamed).
Combined with horrible weather I don't see the appeal but then I am mostly a coaster fan I guess.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I love Halloween and scare mazes but holding a scare maze event in the current climate is just a totally crap idea and unappealing for anyone that has even the most fleeting eye on the news.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I love Halloween and scare mazes but holding a scare maze event in the current climate is just a totally crap idea and unappealing for anyone that has even the most fleeting eye on the news.
From the videos, the Merlin Parks are completely smashing it out of the park, less focus on mazes and more on atmosphere and theming, with less character interaction, and what there is is distanced. Mazes that remain are outdoors, one group of 6 at a time, and actors stay distanced. Reports on the MAP facebook groups of extremely well executed social distancing amongst visitors too, which is more than can be said for summer at times. I even read that there are police on park monitoring the parks and guests.

It’s a little unfair to blanket condemn if the organisers can actually execute it well...

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Mazes that remain are outdoors
Not disputing your other comments but 3 of Alton's are indoors aren't they? The Attic, Altonville Mine Tours and Darkest Depths?

I think the biggest problem with any of the mazes would be that the actors can't touch you or get very close, which is exactly what makes them scary usually. So I'm not sure they would be worth the money for a diluted experience.

Still tempted to go to Scarefest though if the reports about people following the measures are to be believed :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Not disputing your other comments but 3 of Alton's are indoors aren't they? The Attic, Altonville Mine Tours and Darkest Depths?

I think the biggest problem with any of the mazes would be that the actors can't touch you or get very close, which is exactly what makes them scary usually. So I'm not sure they would be worth the money for a diluted experience.

Still tempted to go to Scarefest though if the reports about people following the measures are to be believed :)
You are right to point that error out, I don’t actually know if Towers mazes are indoors or outdoors, as I’ve only seen the woodland walks etc... My fault for putting ‘Merlin’ Thorpe’s mazes are all outdoors.