What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Alton Towers has introduced new measures to help with social distancing, according to TowersTimes: EDIT: For some reason, the Facebook post won’t load, but what they’ve introduced are a one-way system on the paths between Mutiny Bay and Gloomy Wood, as well as “crowd wardens” to help enforce distancing rules around the park.
BPB have today announced a new ‘social distancing department’ too... Basically a squad of staff walking round checking and reminding, in a fun kind of way.

Gov advice maybe??? Or copy catting?

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
BPB have today announced a new ‘social distancing department’ too... Basically a squad of staff walking round checking and reminding, in a fun kind of way.

Gov advice maybe??? Or copy catting?
Probably trying to dampen the critics. I think 95% of the posts I saw on their official Facebook profile were negative suggesting that social distancing was not possible etc. And there were a few articles in minor media outlets about it.

As much I appreciate people saying they are letting too many punters in, the reality of constantly limiting figures over a long term period for a modest owner such as BPB would mean soon laying off staff since furloughing is coming to an end and then drastically cutting ride availability such as certain rides SBNO and/or major ones operating on a rotational system or the park simply not opening at all. That would have a further knock on effect on its hotels too.

No matter which way they would do things, people will complain.
I think if parks in the UK can break even this year that would be good going.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Probably trying to dampen the critics. I think 95% of the posts I saw on their official Facebook profile were negative suggesting that social distancing was not possible etc. And there were a few articles in minor media outlets about it.

As much I appreciate people saying they are letting too many punters in, the reality of constantly limiting figures over a long term period for a modest owner such as BPB would mean soon laying off staff since furloughing is coming to an end and then drastically cutting ride availability such as certain rides SBNO and/or major ones operating on a rotational system or the park simply not opening at all. That would have a further knock on effect on its hotels too.

No matter which way they would do things, people will complain.
I think if parks in the UK can break even this year that would be good going.

I thoroughly enjoyed our day... Was busy, but was great... Never felt nervous, masks were enforced well enough indoors, and outdoors is outdoors!

Moaners gonna moan...

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Just was reading the first page of this topic, crazy how we were speculating all of this at the end of February about whether there would be a global shut down or not.. and look where we are now 5 months later.

Crazy to think this virus has been circulating the globe since November last year now, so nearly 9-10 months now... it’s literally taken over and transformed the world we live in. I can’t tell you how much I hate this virus and I wish such nasty things didn’t have to happen in this world.. I just wanna enjoy the theme parks, and now I barely can.

Anyway, for those of us in the UK( and others interested) I have some graphs of testing/cases today. First time over 1000 daily for a long time, but testing is also on an increasing trend, so we will pick up more cases. Worth keeping an eye on though and make sure to all stay vigilant out and about and in the parks so things don’t have to shut down again!

C8911D1C-6A91-4C57-93A7-B7D5ECEA7197.jpegC726D6CC-6A99-42E9-AFC6-09FAAE6C64D9.jpeg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Crazy to think this virus has been circulating the globe since November last year now, so nearly 9-10 months now... it’s literally taken over and transformed the world we live in. I can’t tell you how much I hate this virus and I wish such nasty things didn’t have to happen in this world.. I just wanna enjoy the theme parks, and now I barely can.
Admittedly second hand, but I've heard (from a friend far more educated in these things than me) that some of the sewage testing they're starting to roll out has shown fairly notable (in other words - measurable, I suppose) Covid levels from last summer. It was plausibly in circulation for a fair while before it managed to reach it's runaway phase. Seems to align with lots of reports of people with mild-flu-like symptoms since pre-November. Bonkers.

Anyway, for those of us in the UK( and others interested) I have some graphs of testing/cases today. First time over 1000 daily for a long time, but testing is also on an increasing trend, so we will pick up more cases. Worth keeping an eye on though and make sure to all stay vigilant out and about and in the parks so things don’t have to shut down again!

View attachment 9277View attachment 9278
I caveat all of this by saying that I'm not entirely sure I know a better way of reporting things, but taking a step back and looking at the numbers reported:

Looking at the reported 7-day averages:
1st June = 1905 cases, 112k tests = 17.0 cases/1000-tests
1st July = 711 cases, 137k tests = 5.2 cases/1000-tests
1st August = 802 cases, 172k tests = 4.7 cases/1000-tests

So yeah, still a way to go and definitely not out of the woods yet, but I don't currently feel particularly worried about the whole thing totally blowing up again. Still, laughably ****e performance on our end... :p

SimonProD

Mega Poster
I can’t tell you how much I hate this virus and I wish such nasty things didn’t have to happen in this world.. I just wanna enjoy the theme parks, and now I barely can.

I can totally agree on this sentiment. Having a chronic illness myself I never know for how long my medication and condition is stable. Not being able to do my travels this and likely next year is rats. Always thinking this years go off my time to life. There cannot be enough money to create a vaccine - and I'll surely take it as soon as possible. And I also hope that airlines, immigration, hotels, parks, etc will then only accept costumers who are vaccinated.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Some speculation from the telegraph regarding quarantine back into the UK.... Switzerland would not be good for me as I am due to fly back from there next month. :(

"France is days away from being added to the UK’s quarantine list, according to senior sources within the Government.

The Foreign Office is due to update its ‘safe’ list this week, with Portugal hoping to gain its first travel corridor of the pandemic, meaning returning holidaymakers will not be required to self-isolate for 14 days. France, however, is one of several countries in Europe to have seen a rise in its number of coronavirus infections in recent days.

Paul Charles, spokesperson for campaign group Quash Quarantine and founder of travel consultancy The PC Agency, said he understood France, along with Malta, Switzerland, Poland and the Netherlands, could be subject to fresh restrictions.

“I know from senior government sources that anything above 20 cases per 100,000 for a period of seven days or more is likely to lead to that country being added to the quarantine list,” he told Telegraph Travel.

“On that basis, France has just two days to gets its numbers below 20 – which is highly unlikely despite face masks now being mandatory in many outdoor public spaces, not just indoors in shops.”

JammyH

Hyper Poster
From doing some further research into rates in different countries, Switzerland actually has a lower rate than Portugal, so adding them onto quarantine and removing Portugal would be absolutely bonkers!

Netherlands and France unfortunately have quite high rates now, as the same with Malta.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Due to low attendance Walt Disney World Resort will reduce daily operations by two hours at Epcot and Animal Kingdom and by one hour at the remaining two parks starting Sept. 8. The revised hours are:
Magic Kingdom: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Epcot: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Hollywood Studios: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Animal Kingdom: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Some speculation from the telegraph regarding quarantine back into the UK.... Switzerland would not be good for me as I am due to fly back from there next month. :(

"France is days away from being added to the UK’s quarantine list, according to senior sources within the Government.

The Foreign Office is due to update its ‘safe’ list this week, with Portugal hoping to gain its first travel corridor of the pandemic, meaning returning holidaymakers will not be required to self-isolate for 14 days. France, however, is one of several countries in Europe to have seen a rise in its number of coronavirus infections in recent days.

Paul Charles, spokesperson for campaign group Quash Quarantine and founder of travel consultancy The PC Agency, said he understood France, along with Malta, Switzerland, Poland and the Netherlands, could be subject to fresh restrictions.

“I know from senior government sources that anything above 20 cases per 100,000 for a period of seven days or more is likely to lead to that country being added to the quarantine list,” he told Telegraph Travel.

“On that basis, France has just two days to gets its numbers below 20 – which is highly unlikely despite face masks now being mandatory in many outdoor public spaces, not just indoors in shops.”
Poland could be a good shout, they don’t really seem to have had a ‘proper’ first wave, so if this escalation is not controlled soon, it could spell bad news for Poland. Although I am not by any means fully clued up on the current situation there, I just know figures are rising.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
If it helps break down the Covid scene in the U.S. better - which has been addressed on a state-by-state basis rather than concerted national effort (thanks Trump); while interstate travel is still presently allowed, there is a rotating list of travel advisory for recommended 2 week quarantine upon returning from the state. This is a list changing by the day; but a quick snapshot of where the hotspots are being seen. And yes, Florida is perpetually on the list. ?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
If it helps break down the Covid scene in the U.S. better - which has been addressed on a state-by-state basis rather than concerted national effort (thanks Trump); while interstate travel is still presently allowed, there is a rotating list of travel advisory for recommended 2 week quarantine upon returning from the state. This is a list changing by the day; but a quick snapshot of where the hotspots are being seen. And yes, Florida is perpetually on the list. ?

And travelers from Ohio must quarantine for two weeks if they come to New York, New Jersey or Connecticut. One of 38 states on our list of visitors who aren't welcomed with open arms.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
And travelers from Ohio must quarantine for two weeks if they come to New York, New Jersey or Connecticut. One of 38 states on our list of visitors who aren't welcomed with open arms.
OH I SEE HOW IT IS! ;)

Realized I didn't qualify this with recommendation by each respective state - so indeed 50, separate lists.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, like Florida has a list. ?????
Florida's list:
giphy.gif

davidm

Strata Poster
Mask of Choice - Neck Gaiter/Buff
I can't recommend Neck Gaiter's enough to coaster folks as a comfortable/all-day wearing mask option that sits light on your face, extremely breathable, and (depending on the option you get) can be made of "Coolwick" fabric that will feel cool-to-the-touch. I've worked with Neck Gaiters for years, especially back in the day when I worked in outdoor education and high-ropes climbing courses as a way to both shade from the sun and stay warm during the winter. Quick tips for Neck

Gaiter ; the worst kind of face-covering apparently ; https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...actually-increases-risk-of-infection-12046715

No-kidding! ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, do any of the American CFers know which states have a comparatively low COVID prevalence within America? I must admit my American geography isn’t brilliant, but I do know that a lot of the states with higher COVID prevalence seem to be towards the South of the country (e.g. Florida, Texas), so would I be right in guessing that a lot of the states with lower COVID prevalence are in the North of the country?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Out of interest, do any of the American CFers know which states have a comparatively low COVID prevalence within America? I must admit my American geography isn’t brilliant, but I do know that a lot of the states with higher COVID prevalence seem to be towards the South of the country (e.g. Florida, Texas), so would I be right in guessing that a lot of the states with lower COVID prevalence are in the North of the country?
There's a nice (visually - no idea of it's data validity) interactive chart in this article. The article is from a month ago, but the chart remains 'live' - last updated this morning (apparently).
https://www.theguardian.com/world/n...oronavirus-us-map-latest-cases-state-by-state

Cases are up at least 5% basically everywhere, with the majority of states now showing over 1-in-100 cases.

Takeaway message - it's still a bit of a ****-show.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Poland could be a good shout, they don’t really seem to have had a ‘proper’ first wave, so if this escalation is not controlled soon, it could spell bad news for Poland. Although I am not by any means fully clued up on the current situation there, I just know figures are rising.

Hmmm, yeah you're pretty much right regarding this. They haven't had a surge of infections before the one which is currently happening, since February/March they've just had consistently sustained low transmission rates. That being said, looking at their trajectory, it potentially looks like the surge in cases is flattening off, which would be good, but it is a potential concern given they haven't had a "wave" meaning that they are unlikely to have much immunity throughout the community and there is likely to be higher complacency levels. In terms of the parks, I personally find it concerning that parks like energylandia are allowed to operate on 100% capacity with really relaxed rules; that won't be helping the situation.

Even if Poland's surge does level off, they are still over the baseline for the UK of 20 cases per 100,000 people (I think its something along those lines how they calculate it). This is the government's baseline for considering local lockdowns and adding countries to the quarantine list.

Lots of schools are starting to go back from last week/this week around Europe so it's worth watching cases to see if re-opening schools has a big effect on outbreaks or not. I am still clinging onto hope that I can go away next month, but Switzerland have recorded a very high daily increase today, so adding them to the quarantine list is looking more likely as we speak.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Cases are up at least 5% basically everywhere, with the majority of states now showing over 1-in-100 cases.

Takeaway message - it's still a bit of a ****-show.
I don't know where that info is coming from, but New York has been under 1% for weeks, if not months now. In the last 24 hours it stands at 0.88%. All numbers continue to go down daily with the exception for hospital discharges and total deaths, but the rate of deaths continues to drop with just two in the last 24 hours. I know New York, and the tri-state area, are the exception to the rule, but it's not a bit of a ***-show that the map you linked to would suggest.
Here's the actual data for New York: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...s-states-progress-during-covid-19-pandemic-24