What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Not theme park but this pub chain are not willing to wait for the government anymore and say they are going to open on the 4th July.
Business taking the lead.
Theme parks should follow

The government has already coordinated with UK theme parks and advised that the resorts can open on 4th july. Chessington, paultons, blackpool, Alton towers, Legoland and Thorpe park are all opening on this date. Have you missed the announcements?

I don’t think the theme parks need to take the lead when they are being actively guided by the government. Maybe the government advice isn’t very good, but it’s there nonetheless.

I don’t really understand what your point is.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
What’s it made from ? Looks like polyester. Can you even breath through it o_O
No I can’t, I’m actually dead ? could somebody tell the missus please...

There is a serious side to your question though, so I’ll have a look what it’s made from later. To be honest, the opposite is true though, it’s so light and easy to breath through I wonder whether it’s effective enough.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Not theme park but this pub chain are not willing to wait for the government anymore and say they are going to open on the 4th July.
Business taking the lead.
Theme parks should follow
We’ve already been told it’s the 4th of July... Government has told major brewers and they’ve filtered the news down... Either this company already knowS this and they’re playing a little publicity stunt, or they need to speak to their suppliers more often!!!

What we don’t know is which pubs, in what capacity, outdoors or indoors too, and what the covid secure guidelines will actually end up being... 2m or 1m!

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
I thought all that’s been said from gov is from the 4th July at the earliest . They have not actually confirmed thats the actual date

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I thought all that’s been said from gov is from the 4th July at the earliest . They have not actually confirmed thats the actual date
Not announced to the public they haven’t... Brewers however required notification to start brewing again, this notification was given, as in they were instructed to have millions of pints ready by the 15th June in preparation for a July 4th reopening.

There would be legal cases if they’d been instructed then it doesn’t go ahead ;)

edited to add more detail...

July 15th was supposed to be the date that they made the announcement on reopening...That is definitely still going to plan. However the announcement was delayed, as they actually want to soften measures on pubs, possibly remove some measures and reduce measures like the distance... Until these are decided on, there won’t be a ‘public’ announcement on reopening. But it WILL be July 4th :)

Last edited:

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
There definitely is some media support for BlueSonicHD's post

Why the media is so haphazard and can't be arsed to actually dig further into relating businesses that thus indicate a change in policy as Nicky points out, I do not understand. In that article and similar reports the media will constantly refer to a bunch of unnamed sources as "Experts". Who exactly? Journalism definitely seems to be dead but I've also noticed often if there is a big massive fear mongering headline (such as today in the Daily Mail - "Could our pets trigger a second wave of COVID-19?") the research data almost always appears to come from either University College London or Imperial College London. Something really weird going on I'd say, very politically skewed at times too.

Although it doesn't have a massive effect on theme parks in the UK (except for shows such as Hot Ice at BPB maybe - which is already completely cancelled this year) I'm surprised the likes of theatre producer Cameron Mackintosh seems to have accepted theatres will not open in the UK till 2021.

There must be a long list of cast, crew members and musicians in the theatre industry who will not get paid from October onwards when the furlough scheme ends or are already losing their jobs.
Why Mackintosh accepted the 2021 date quite a while ago (early May) I find strange since virus figures are changing quite quickly now. IF theatres can open sooner surely that is a good thing? He doesn't seem to be leading calls to request re-opening of theatres sooner. Instead his theatre companies are already starting redundancy processes. My local cinema (albeit more possibility for increased space between people than theatres and ability to operate staggered showings) is reopening July 10th. Will probably catch a movie that following weekend since I have an unlimited card.

In The Netherlands there have been repeated calls from funfair operators to allow them to reopen, especially since theme parks have been allowed to re-open for almost a month now. They are even suing the government.
Article from a few days ago:
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/762070816/waarom-pretpark-wel-en-kermis-niet

Finally Terra Mitica in Spain has announced it will not re-open this year according to loopings:

Last edited:

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
I think with theatre and other entertainment venues as they have tight profit margins
Opening with only 33% capacity for distancing there is no way they can afford to do it.
No easy way out. Open and run at a loss. Don’t open and pray they stay afloat long enough to ride it out.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
From reading a BBC News article it seems highly likely we will have "travel corridors" with France, Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal on the 4th July.

Why those countries have been chosen completely baffles me. Portugal currently has a higher infection rate than the UK and France, Spain and Italy have some of the higher infection rates in Europe.

Why countries like Netherlands, Belgium and Germany seem to be actively ignored is beyond me.

I wonder if you could manage to bypass the quarantine on a trip to Germany or Belgium by taking the Eurotunnel/ferry via France, and then you would no longer have to quarantine coming from these destinations.

I hope it's dropped with Netherlands/Belgium and Germany as whilst I can manage to do the quarantine, I would honestly prefer not to have to.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
From reading a BBC News article it seems highly likely we will have "travel corridors" with France, Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal on the 4th July.

Why those countries have been chosen completely baffles me. Portugal currently has a higher infection rate than the UK and France, Spain and Italy have some of the higher infection rates in Europe.

Why countries like Netherlands, Belgium and Germany seem to be actively ignored is beyond me.

I wonder if you could manage to bypass the quarantine on a trip to Germany or Belgium by taking the Eurotunnel/ferry via France, and then you would no longer have to quarantine coming from these destinations.

I hope it's dropped with Netherlands/Belgium and Germany as whilst I can manage to do the quarantine, I would honestly prefer not to have to.
Very odd those countries indeed, I thought the same straight away when I read that. Furthermore I feel the government is micro managing us out of this pandemic and involving themselves in areas they should usually completely stay out of. Perhaps it is to do with the amount of fear out there if statistics are to believed (how many people are uncomfortable with this and that "already" happening etc).

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I feel like they’re focusing on those countries because they’re typical summer holiday spots and that’s what the GP are worried about right now.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Furthermore I feel the government is micro managing us out of this pandemic and involving themselves in areas they should usually completely stay out of
Not true, they're actually busy trying to starve impoverished school children. Although I've heard they've given that one up recently.

Matt N

CF Legend
Apparently the countries being considered for air bridges are also some of the biggest contributors to the UK economy in terms of travel, so maybe that's a consideration?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

It will be for the whole of Europe, I am sure of it... There is no way to police it as European road borders are open without any checks whatsoever... This was the reason the deal with France fell through in the first place ;) (P.S I’ve been crossing borders, so this is from actual personal experience)

There definitely is some media support for BlueSonicHD's post

Why the media is so haphazard and can't be arsed to actually dig further into relating businesses that thus indicate a change in policy as Nicky points out, I do not understand. In that article and similar reports the media will constantly refer to a bunch of unnamed sources as "Experts". Who exactly? Journalism definitely seems to be dead but I've also noticed often if there is a big massive fear mongering headline (such as today in the Daily Mail - "Could our pets trigger a second wave of COVID-19?") the research data almost always appears to come from either University College London or Imperial College London. Something really weird going on I'd say, very politically skewed at times too.

Although it doesn't have a massive effect on theme parks in the UK (except for shows such as Hot Ice at BPB maybe - which is already completely cancelled this year) I'm surprised the likes of theatre producer Cameron Mackintosh seems to have accepted theatres will not open in the UK till 2021.

There must be a long list of cast, crew members and musicians in the theatre industry who will not get paid from October onwards when the furlough scheme ends or are already losing their jobs.
Why Mackintosh accepted the 2021 date quite a while ago (early May) I find strange since virus figures are changing quite quickly now. IF theatres can open sooner surely that is a good thing? He doesn't seem to be leading calls to request re-opening of theatres sooner. Instead his theatre companies are already starting redundancy processes. My local cinema (albeit more possibility for increased space between people than theatres and ability to operate staggered showings) is reopening July 10th. Will probably catch a movie that following weekend since I have an unlimited card.

In The Netherlands there have been repeated calls from funfair operators to allow them to reopen, especially since theme parks have been allowed to re-open for almost a month now. They are even suing the government.
Article from a few days ago:
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/762070816/waarom-pretpark-wel-en-kermis-niet

Finally Terra Mitica in Spain has announced it will not re-open this year according to loopings:

I agree with everything you say there, especially regarding the media’s actions during this crisis. ? They had an opportunity to put the nation’s well being above money grabbing headlines, but they chose the wrong path. I really think that whole industry needs a huge inquiry and massive shake up...

And yet somebody somewhere in the media appears to have an insight into why the pub announcement has not come yet, and that a July 4th opening in some capacity is still on the cards

To be honest though, I’ve VERY recently heard rumblings of a small delay (1 or 2 weeks) in order to implement the smaller distance rule before opening... I (and I think the entire industry) would grab this with both hands!!!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Apparently the countries being considered for air bridges are also some of the biggest contributors to the UK economy in terms of travel, so maybe that's a consideration?

Well Matt, you are probably exactly correct. This whole quarantine and “air bridges” seems to be politically and economically motivated, rather than scientifically motivated.

If it was scientifically motivated the quarantine would have been brought in early-mid March. If it was scientifically motivated countries like Germany would have priority to the air bridge. Because the UK isn’t a typical holiday destination for Germans, they aren’t being considered for a travel bridge. Whereas on the other hand lots of people from France will come over here and spend a lot of money. Same from Portugal etc.

It’s clearly politically/economically motivated. Otherwise all countries with lower infection rates would be entitled to a travel bridge with us, not just a select few.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem likely we will be getting travel bridges with countries such as Austria, netherlands and Belgium, even though their infection rates are now low, which means if we want to go there we will have to endure this stupid quarantine.

I have heard rumours the quarantine is planned to be lifted completely on the 22nd July at the 2nd 3 week review for EU countries, but as for the 1st review, seems like we will only be getting silly air bridges with a select few countries.

I’m off to holland regardless 6th July. Hopefully if travelling via france I can bypass the quarantine.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
It will be for the whole of Europe, I am sure of it... There is no way to police it as European road borders are open without any checks whatsoever... This was the reason the deal with France fell through in the first place ;) (P.S I’ve been crossing borders, so this is from actual personal experience)

I hope you are correct but I wouldn’t put it past the uk government as they have been making some bonkers decisions. I agree though, once you open the borders up to France you are essentially opening borders up to the whole of the EU as there is no way of policing who is travelling via France to the uk.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Boris has the habit of changing his mind at the last minute.
If a second wave breaks in the next two weeks, 4th July goes back to being a party in the USA and nowhere else.
That is why the date hasnt been confirmed.
Nobody knows anything for certain yet, because we have never been here before.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Boris has the habit of changing his mind at the last minute.
If a second wave breaks in the next two weeks, 4th July goes back to being a party in the USA and nowhere else.
That is why the date hasnt been confirmed.
Nobody knows anything for certain yet, because we have never been here before.
So you believe them then, when they say they’ll put public health over the economy? ?

The propaganda has already started to cover the fact they will not completely shut down again in case of a second peak... Expect to hear lots about ‘local outbreaks’ in the next few weeks ;) With ‘local’ solutions!

And to be honest I agree, this lockdown is going to be a huge public health crisis in the long run, never mind a second one.