What's new

Contact Lenses on rides?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Im pretty new here so hope im posting this in the right place......

Pretty straight forward question, is it okay to wear contact lenses on a ride / rollercoater?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm pretty sure that some of our members do in preference to wearing glasses with straps.

I guess really, it's not much different to going out on a windy day in them?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, contact lenses are fine - I much prefer it than using a strap.

The only problem I've ever encountered is on water rides. Close your eyes on drops etc and you'll be fine.

T0M

Hyper Poster
If the water from Drayton's water rides gets behind your lenses, you'll go from normal vision to Stevie Wonder before you leave the park.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Perfectly safe on roller coasters and the like, but a definite no no on water rides.

I always wear lenses on roller coasters and flat rides - never had a problem.

Tony

Hyper Poster
Yeah they are fine.

I wore my contacts for the first time to Walibi Holland last year and they were absolutely grand, I actually forgot they were even in :p .

Water rides should be grand aswell as I even wear mine swimming.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys :D.

I normally take my glasses to theme parks but take them off for the rides. Im going to Port Aventura in June and want to be able to see the views from the top of Shambhala and not just a blur.

I just worry slightly that the lenses are going to get irritated from the wind. And also yea the water rides are a concern.

Richie

Hyper Poster
I wear contacts every day and there is absolutely no issue with rollercoasters/flats. I also always wear them on water rides and they are fine.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You are good to go - I visited Six Flags Magic Mountain yesterday wearing contact lenses with no problems. :smile:

Mike

Giga Poster
Wearing glasses, even with a strap, can be a major problem in some parks and rides, and some managers/ride operators will throw hissy fits if you don't take them off. Just depends what park and ride really, as I was allowed to wear my glasses for Kingda Ka, but forced to remove them for Escape from Madagascar as Dreamworld. :?

...That's for if you forget your contact lenses and have to wear your glasses, I guess...

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I know my brother wears contact lenses pretty much every time we go to a theme park and has done for a very long time. He only ever lost one once on Space Mountain at Disneyland. So it does happen, but please keep in mind that this was one occasion out of hundreds that were fine.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
I'm a little late on this one, but it seems to be a matter of preference. I normally wear contacts when I'm not at parks. I would wear my glasses because I have heard of some people having problems with contacts falling out after certain elements. It's also a problem if you don't have any sunglasses to wear or are not allowed to wear sunglasses as wind could possibly blow them out of your eye, or dust could get in your eyes. I've worn my contacts quite a few times now to a few parks and always ride with sunglasses. I've never really had a problem with them though.