What's new

Colossus repaint?

elephant58

Hyper Poster
A member of TT has noticed that grey paint has been applied to a section of track:

YtG90VL.jpg

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Colossus has been in need of a repaint for as long as I've been an enthusiast that's for sure. Surely it can't do the coaster any good being left like that? But this is good news. Does painting a coaster make it run a little smoother? Obviously we're not talking major improvements but anything to help this pos ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Looooong over due. It needs like a complete overhaul really; new paint, refreshed theming and new trains.

Merlin really do hate repainting coasters.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Jordanovichy said:
Does painting a coaster make it run a little smoother?

I had the same question a while ago!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38386

Also in the above topic, Joey explains that Colossus' track is **** up from trains using the wrong wheel firmness which is partly why its so rough and juddery.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
The new trains would really be a big improvement. The restraints are much more comfortable and much less restricted. They still don't have much leg room, but considerably more than there is on the current ones.

Much rather those than an ugly grey repaint :p

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Really glad this is happening - perhaps the early start indicates a more lengthy rehab, with new trains perhaps? Hope so, as that would make it vaguely re-rideable ;)

I just hope it's not being repainted 'Merlin Grey', as it looked really good in it's prime, and should look even better now that all the vegetation has grown around it!
Also according to towers times, the grey is only a primer, so I'm hopeful!

1nisl0080020pho2o8001f.jpg

It's a shame really, as colossus has an excellent, long and quite intense layout.
Does anyone remember when there was a bird's nest amongst the supports? ;)

mouse

Giga Poster
I hope they change the colour scheme, the colours have always been very bland in my opinion.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Colossus uses a thinner track width than the modern Intamin rides. I'm not sure new trains would fit the clearance gap for all the supports, as it would need to be wider for better restraints.

Freshen the ride up and do a big rehab on the trains to make it smooth again would be enough IMO.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Good to see some hopeful signs of a repaint; it's something that Thorpe have wanted to do for a long time as well. When I asked about it during a lift hill climb of Colossus a couple of months back, they said they've always come across logistics problems for repainting it, and that they felt they could never do it in one closed season. To be starting it now seems quite odd though..