What's new

Coasters you can't believe people love

TilenB

Strata Poster
ignace said:
Speed of Sound is for me the worst boomerang out there, and Wiener Prater the best. Simply amazing how a boomerang can be that good.

I've heard you mentioned you had gone to Vienna not long ago. Did the Prater one get repainted during the off-season? :)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
ignace said:
Speed of Sound is for me the worst boomerang out there, and Wiener Prater the best. Simply amazing how a boomerang can be that good.

Could you explain why you find Speed of Sound so crap? I've only ridden SoS and the one at Bellewaerde, but SoS blew it away and I can only imagine that it will remain my favourite. The others are just so dull in comparison.

ignace

Mega Poster
ThomVD said:
ignace said:

Could you explain why you find Speed of Sound so crap? I've only ridden SoS and the one at Bellewaerde, but SoS blew it away and I can only imagine that it will remain my favourite. The others are just so dull in comparison.

When entering the first inversion, my neck bashed hard into the restrains, making SoS the only really painfull boomerang I rode. Maybe it felt this way because I sat frontseat?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
ignace said:
ThomVD said:
ignace said:

When entering the first inversion, my neck bashed hard into the restrains, making SoS the only really painfull boomerang I rode. Maybe it felt this way because I sat frontseat?

I'm not sure. I've ridden it quite a few times in most seats, and never had a problem with roughness or headbanging. I just love the theming and the cheesy crappy onboard audio. The other boomerangs just lack that personality and that makes them a bit dull in my opinion. Not awful though, I think they are okay rides. I'm not sure if lap bars would really make me like them though.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^You say you've only ridden 2, yet you're comparing SoS to 'others'. And how can you base roughness on their themeing and onboard audio they may or may not have?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ I've said that I think Speed of Sound remains my favourite because for me personally, the onboard audio and theming adds so much to the boomerang experience, that I find theme-less boomerangs much less appealing. Of course I can't say for sure, but that is just what I'm predicting. I've never said anything about the others being rough or not, but to me Speed of Sound is not rough. Neither was the one at Bellewaerde though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
TilenB said:
But the legend goes that there is a good SLC somewhere far, far away (Thailand, if I'm not mistaken)

I think I'm probably responsible for that one. I rode the SLC, Vortex, at Siam Park City in Bangkok shortly after it had opened (relocated from a park in Brunei and seemingly barely ran, so it was basically new) and found it to be really, really smooth. There's somebody else on here - can't remember who now - that rode it not long after me and came to the same conclusions.

However, I rode it again more recently (just over a year ago) as have a couple of others on here - Ben and/or Jake I think - and it hasn't aged very well. It's still better than a lot of them, but it's far from the "glass-smooth" coaster I'd described 6-7 years earlier. Now it's pretty much your average SLC.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I rode Vortex back in 2009 and I echo what Gavin said, around then it rode fantastically. It also looked beautiful for an SLC and was rather forceful (bonus points for the helix at the end). Rode Infusion not long after and the difference is massive in my opinion. Be interested to see how Vortex and Siam Park has aged, will have to make another trip soon!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Ah, yes. It was you I was talking about when I said that somebody here rode it around the same time and had the same opinion.

steel

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
3. Patriot - Echoing steel, but in a reverse way, I fail to see how Patriot can be considered the best of the Cedar Fair inverts (at least until Banshee showed up on the scene last year). It is a good inverted roller coaster, much better than Six Flags' Batmans both for layout and operations, but I still see it as equal to Raptor/Talon, and fail to find what makes it definitively better than its sister coasters.

The pacing is immaculate, that's what sets it apart. It never feels like it's losing speed, but it's also never uncomfortable or painful. It has just enough speed, just enough positive g, just enough negative g, just enough lateral g. It's immensely reridable, it's still very smooth, it's beautiful and well-operated. It's not too long or too short. And the zero-g roll is just plain unmatched. It's just such a well-rounded coaster. I don't think it's necessarily going to be at the top of very many people's rankings (including my own), but I really do think Patriot represents the pinnacle of what B&M can offer.

I agree with you 100% about New Texas Giant btw. I mean granted, while it doesn't ever reach the level of Outlaw Run, it does have a few spectacular moments toward the beginning, but then it kinda piddles around and makes a couple of half-hearted laps and goes home without making any worthwhile points (also I don't appreciate the plexiglass windshield things).

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Peep and his **** Boomerangs...cretin. They're just awful, rough and nauseating. But, you can have your own opinion...even if it is WRONG.

Grand National and Wild Mouse at BPB. They're just awful, I can't understand it. Someone said to me a couple of weeks ago that they like Wild Mouse because it's the terrifying nature that you're gonna **** die that they like so much. I'm sorry, but whilst I love being thrown around upside down or 200ft in the air on rollercoasters...I like to feel safe and I usually do. Wild Mouse I thought I was going to DIE. And Grand National? Well, my spine hasn't been the same since. To be honest, I rode the two sides at the back so I'm looking forward to riding further forward on the live.

Gonna get at Radaxian and her (stupid) love for Saw :p. She's explained to me several times why she loves it so but she's still wrong ;)

Of course, I think Air is the best coaster in the UK, so you know, swings and roundabouts ;)

ignace

Mega Poster
When riding a rough woodie just sit at the middel of the car. It helps a lot. I did it on my only rides on Grand National and experienced the coaster as extremely smooth.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Grand National in the back row is the absolute worst wooden coaster experience I've had.

ignace said:
When riding a rough woodie just sit at the middel of the car. It helps a lot. I did it on my only rides on Grand National and experienced the coaster as extremely smooth.

This. Its a considerably better ride just one row from the back.

Another one for me is Verbolten. Granted I think it has potential and the enclosed section is okay, but the second half is dull and has a really unpleasant rattle. Don't get the love for it at all.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jordanovichy said:
Gonna get at Radaxian and her (stupid) love for Saw :p. She's explained to me several times why she loves it so but she's still wrong ;)

Of course, I think Air is the best coaster in the UK, so you know, swings and roundabouts ;)

Hang on, hang on. You think Air is better than Nemesis?! Blimey, you may have worse taste in coasters than I do! :p

For the record, reasons I love Saw:

1. Fab dark ride bit
2. Amazing indoor drop
3. Excellent pacing
4. Decent length and layout for a UK coaster
5. Those 3 lovely pops of airtime (especially the one after the MCBR...ooh <3)
6. Some very good bits of themeing. Yeah, it's not quite extensively themed, but dropping under those massive circular blades is really cool!
7. The little trick, where, before the vertical lift the screen says 'Game Over' and makes a thudding noise, as the car in front drops down the beyond vertical in front of your eyes. Such a nice little touch.

mouse

Giga Poster
I also really like Saw, particularly the indoor section.
I think I may be one of the only people that found it very comfortable, the restraints were perfect for me and I thought it was fairly smooth. Perhaps there needs to be a 'coasters you can't believe people hate' topic too...

Hutch

Strata Poster
CookieCoasters said:
Another one for me is Verbolten. Granted I think it has potential and the enclosed section is okay, but the second half is dull and has a really unpleasant rattle. Don't get the love for it at all.
I found it to be a stupidly fun ride and couldn't get enough of it. Plus I had no idea what to expect so the indoor portion blew my mind on my first go. Sure there's nothing too intense, but I felt that there was always a fun little thing going on (airtime hump or launch, etc). My only real complaint is that the exciting sections are over too quick and the train is always slowing down.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:

And then there is me, who has both Saw in Air in his overall UK top 3 (behind Nemesis, which is understandable) from the 27 English coasters I've done. :D