What's new

Coasters that surprised you

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
Fenix at Toverland:
This was my first wingrider. I've heard a few people say these aren't the most intense B&M-coasters, but this thing is awesome.
The layout is forcefull (especially the helix pulling 5G) and the overall pacing is great.

Snoo

The Legend
Thunderbird at HW - It's easy to see now but the year it opened, not alot of people have been on it. The launch was a new concept but the ride was so smooth it was just delicious. Subsequent rerides as well as others riding it has validated my original thoughts as well.

Lightning Run at KK - Yeah NO ONE said anything about this because it was at KK and it wasn't visited often. However, once i made it make for Storm Chaser, I was pleasantly surprised by how amazing the ride is. Absolutely love it. Wish they had more.

Afterburn at Carowinds - Now this is an older model but one of the best Inverts IMO. The ride flows fantastic and gives you power like you haven't seen for a while. Love

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Afterburn at Carowinds - Now this is an older model but one of the best Inverts IMO. The ride flows fantastic and gives you power like you haven't seen for a while. Love
Everyone I’ve heard talk about Afterburn seems to think it’s surprisingly forceful, so I think that’s a common opinion. I got a horrible ride on it though.

Snoo

The Legend
Everyone I’ve heard talk about Afterburn seems to think it’s surprisingly forceful, so I think that’s a common opinion. I got a horrible ride on it though.

Compared to most B&M Inverts, I'd say yes. As well as the layout being unique, I always have had fun on it.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Focusing on the more positive side of things:

Junker, Power Park - I thought it looked good, but wow, it’s very good!
Big Thunder Mountain, Disneyland Paris - Didn’t realise it was gonna be a lot better than the American ones
Huracan, Belantis - Was expecting absolute tripe, but found it weirdly enjoyable
Kärnan, Hansa Park - Similar to Junker, but this ended up in my top 10!
Magnum XL-200, Cedar Point - Wasn’t particularly hopeful about this but actually it has really fab airtime (didn’t find it uncomfortable).
Cannon Ball, Lake Winnepesakauh - Never read an opinion on this before. It’s not Phoenix, but still has loads of floaty out-of-seat time.
Powder Keg, Silver Dollar City - I guess with sharing a park with Outlaw Run this gets overlooked now, but I loved it.
Twisted Cyclone, Six Flags Over Georgia - Looks like one of the weaker RMCs, rides like one of the stronger ones.
Mr Freeze Reverse Blast, Six Flags Over Texas - That spike is one of the best elements ever!
Roar-O-Saurus, Story Land - I’d ridden other fab little GGs but this took things to a whole new level.
Cheetah, Wild Adventures - Shame it’s at such a meh, out-of-the-way park, because I think this woodie deserves more love.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
A few off the top of my head:

Verbolten - Looked like a typical family coaster with a fun finale but the indoor section really packs a punch!

Apocalypse - For the longest time I thought it was just another run of the mill woodie, but it had a great layout with tons of airtime and directional changes.

California Screamin' - long, fun ride with some nice turns and even a few dueling points. It's certainly not the meandering behemoth that I thought it would be.

Flight Deck (CGA) - It's arguably more intense than Alpengeist.

Superman: Ultimate Flight (SFDK) - another ride that looked fairly meh at face value but ends up being a fun experience.

Cobra's Curse - face value: just another spinner. But it's very well done and certainly unique.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The cred in a shed at Six flags Over Texas and the one at Six Flags Great Adventure were definitely nice surprises to ride. Fun little rides with a little air and snappy transitions.

Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom really surprised me. Powerful Airtime and in such a small compact layout. I'll keep saying it there should be more of these.

Leap the Dips at Lakemont. Really wasn't expecting anything at all but what i found was a fun ride that was genuinely terrifying and had some solid air.

Updating my list a little.

Goliath- SFNE. I had the opportunity to ride this thing with the Old huge Vekoma restraints and It was quite an amazing experience. Smooth, Intense, and those lifts were absolutely terrifying. My sister and I both thought it was a quite the fun ride (she likes rides but isn't really an enthusiast by any means. Her rattle/vibration/pain tolerance for rides is quite low as well). So when I heard they had added the premier trains and Snoo, Antinos and I went back the next year i was really looking forward to the re-ride. While the lifts were still terrifying the ride was ****ing **** this time around. Shaky, rough, and just not fun. It's amazing what a difference trains can make on a ride.

Firechaser Express- Dollywood I figured it'd be a fine family coaster but I didn't expect it to be the best family coaster I had ever ridden. Fun, with some air and solid launches. Great ride

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wodan - It was no-where near as good as I was expecting.
That's a shame, Wodan was wonderful when we rode it last year! What didn't you like (or rather, what didn't live up to your expectations)?

James F

Hyper Poster
Silver Star: Wasn't expecting much airtime, but I experienced loads!

Wodan: A much faster and intense experience than I was expecting.

Helix: I thought it was going to be Sweden's Cheetah Hunt. It was a whole lot better, definitely didn't think it would become my new number one.

Icon: A smaller surprise, going on blue fire and helix prior, but this ride was better than I expected it to be.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
On the negative side, I was disappointed with Expedition Everest, Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket and Thirteen.

All of them were less exciting experiences than I expected and they were generally underwhelming experiences for me.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Silver Star - loved the airtime. Had always previously heard it had absolutely none.

Wickerman - kicks a suprising amount of arse if you're on the back few rows. Sure it's a family coaster but it's just really good fun.

Taron - I knew it would be good but not *that* good. Despite the hype it still exceeded expectations.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Thunderbolt at Kennywood was a really fun and smooth ride and my favourite at that Park
The Joker 4D Free spin (SFGA) was just so much more fun and intense than I expected

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Tennessee Tornado. I'd heard that it was smoother than most Arrows, but this thing is smoother than most B&Ms! Also, it's intense as :emoji_poop:! The turnaround into the enclosed drop is amazing, the inversions are intense and glossy smooth, this is one of the smoothest coasters I've experienced!

Snoo

The Legend
Tennessee Tornado. I'd heard that it was smoother than most Arrows, but this thing is smoother than most B&Ms! Also, it's intense as :emoji_poop:! The turnaround into the enclosed drop is amazing, the inversions are intense and glossy smooth, this is one of the smoothest coasters I've experienced!

It makes me sadder then anything as Arrow finally found a design that is actually rideable. They folded shortly after. :(

Matt N

CF Legend
I've got some additional surprises to add following BPB:
  • How awesome Nickelodeon Streak, Revolution and Big Dipper were.
  • How rough Big One was.