What's new

Coasters that intrigue you

davidm

Strata Poster
For rides that are gone.. I always wished I could have ridden Flashback at Magic Mountain. Mainly to see if it really was as bad as people made it seem.. and because it looked like it *could* have been a fun ride. Would love to see B&M make a modern version of it. haha. Maybe also Viper at Great Adventure, again just to see if it was truly as bad as people said. I saw it closed, never got to ride it.
I saw Flashback on two occasions ; 2002 on my first ever visit to SFMM, when it was allegedly still running (but it was July, so it seems they didn't run it in the summer and I knew no better anyway as I was at my first ever BIG park and just awestruck by the amount of coasters there), I went back in 2006, knowing a bit more, but it was SBNO then.
I did ride Viper though, in 2003 ; it was not good.

The ones that had intrigued me for a while were Olympia Looping (but got that when it first visited London as I'm too basic to have got it elsewhere) and also Dragon Mountain in Canada, got there this summer and really liked it (but again, it is not objectively good at all).

Nowadays? Maybe those Chinese bullet coaster things (although I have done an air-launch or two), certainly not those Maurer spike things though (despite the people at work sending me links to that one on the cruise-ship as if I'd not heard of it). Maybe those ridiculously long one-way alpine coasters they have in the mountains in Europe ; that's gotta be done some time (but they are not really a coaster are they?)

Last edited:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
A ride that has always interested me is Monster at adventureland in Iowa.
A normal vertical loop looks like this
dominator-vertical-loop.jpg

But then Here is the Finnish loop on monster, which has a really weird oval shape.
r
The-Monster-Ride-Entertainment-Adventureland-Gerstlauer%201.JPG

Does this affect the ride sensation?
Yes, you get much more hangtime on it, which makes for a very interesting ride.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I am super intregued by Superman: Escape From Krypton at SFMM. People don't seem to go on about it much - but according to rcdb it has 6 seconds of weightlessness?! Plus, backwards launch <3
I am dying to find out if it rides how I think it will. (I am convinced it will be Top 10 material!)

I used to find Vekoma Flying Dutchman's intregueing....then I rode one. Bleurgh!

Matt N

CF Legend
I just thought of another ride that intrigues me:
  • Thunder Dolphin at Tokyo Dome City - This ride intrigues me because the stats are very promising, but the ride layout looks... interesting, to say the least. I've also seen quite a few pictures online of that overbank through the ferris wheel, but I never hear anyone talk about Thunder Dolphin much. The overbanks and ejector airtime hills look quite good, but there seems to be a few sections that look interesting, like that bit at the end where the ride undulates above the buildings. I could imagine that bit providing some nice laterals, but I'm really not sure how it would ride. If anyone here has ridden Thunder Dolphin, what is it like and is it any good?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I just thought of another ride that intrigues me:
  • Thunder Dolphin at Tokyo Dome City - This ride intrigues me because the stats are very promising, but the ride layout looks... interesting, to say the least. I've also seen quite a few pictures online of that overbank through the ferris wheel, but I never hear anyone talk about Thunder Dolphin much. The overbanks and ejector airtime hills look quite good, but there seems to be a few sections that look interesting, like that bit at the end where the ride undulates above the buildings. I could imagine that bit providing some nice laterals, but I'm really not sure how it would ride. If anyone here has ridden Thunder Dolphin, what is it like and is it any good?
Great first drop, followed by mediocrity. It's fun, but it's mostly down to the location of it.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
ejector airtime hills look quite good
It doesn't really have any of them unfortunately, again only the first drop does anything significant. And your undulating bit is just slow and weird. I didn't know about it until I was on it, so bonus points for comedy at least.

B&M stand-ups intrigue me I guess. One of the few ride 'types' of any significance I haven't yet done.
No one seems to like them. I haven't had any problem with other stand-ups yet. We'll see.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I am super intregued by Superman: Escape From Krypton at SFMM. People don't seem to go on about it much - but according to rcdb it has 6 seconds of weightlessness?! Plus, backwards launch <3
I am dying to find out if it rides how I think it will. (I am convinced it will be Top 10 material!)
Ugh, I have been decidedly unimpressed by both of the Intamin Reverse Freefall Coasters I've done. The launches were incredibly sluggish, the rides were uneventful (apart from being evacuated from the Australian one that overshoot the brakes - that was fun) and worst of all - they are stupidly loud. I think SFMM's was in even worse in that regard, being located on a bit of a hill, with a lot of rides surrounding the tower, urgh. I can't think of a single ride in the world that's louder than these...

As for what I'd find intriguing;
  • Anything that PAX has ever made. With the demise of Jungle Storm, I think the most interesting one that's left is the one in Fantasiana; curiously enough, also one of the closest coaster that I haven't done yet (and one of the 2 Austrian creds I'm missing; the other one being a Wacky Worm in the arse end of nowhere)
  • Any pipeline coaster. Hopefully the Japanese Togos will last until I make my way over to Japan.
  • Bailey Autosled coaster in Wild Water and Wheels. Looks to be in a bit of an awkward location to get to, but @Hixee and @davidm have proved that it's not too difficult after all!
  • That Super Railway coaster that travels France. Single rail ride with ejector airtime that hardly has any restrains whatsoever. Count me in!
And I can't think of much more at the moment. There's surely plenty of rides that I'm forgetting!

Matt N

CF Legend
It doesn't really have any of them unfortunately, again only the first drop does anything significant. And your undulating bit is just slow and weird. I didn't know about it until I was on it, so bonus points for comedy at least.
Ah right. Thanks @HeartlineCoaster!

I've also just thought of another ride that intrigues me:
  • Fujiyama at Fuji-Q Highland - The world's only Togo hyper coaster intrigues me for multiple different reasons, including that it is manufactured by Togo, who don't seem to get the best reception where smooth coasters are concerned. Although I've heard that Fujiyama is quite smooth from people who've ridden. It also intrigues me because of that weird-looking ending with the s-bendy hills and because it seems to divide opinion; some people say it's terrible, whereas I've heard others who really like it.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Haha, I wouldn't say it's good... But I've been sure it gets ridden every single time I've visited the park so it must be...goodish?.... It's fun for sure, but in a dumb way. It's also incredibly LOUD! I just wish it kept the lapbars it had when it ran forwards.

B&M stand-ups intrigue me I guess. One of the few ride 'types' of any significance I haven't yet done.
No one seems to like them. I haven't had any problem with other stand-ups yet. We'll see.
I've never had an issue with any of the Stand Up coasters I've been on. I actually liked both Intamin ones I've done and same for the Togo's. I never found any of the B&M ones bad and I've ridden them all but CA Great America's... But the only 'stand out' stand ups are Riddler's Revenge and Georgia Scorcher.
Back in 2002 when SFNE was getting Batman...a lot of the rumors were pointing to it being a stand-up coaster and I remember being slightly disappointed when it finally got announced as a floorless ride.

Bailey Autosled coaster in Wild Water and Wheels. Looks to be in a bit of an awkward location to get to, but @Hixee and @davidm have proved that it's not too difficult after all!!
Haha, so..much...fun. rode it three times!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bailey Autosled coaster in Wild Water and Wheels. Looks to be in a bit of an awkward location to get to, but @Hixee and @davidm have proved that it's not too difficult after all!
It's actually really easy to get to - practically en-route to Ottawa from Toronto (or vice-versa). Ride itself is great, albeit quite scary!

FWIW, my thoughts on it:
First go, then.

With a reasonably major shove off the top I was hurtling down the first drop. Good sense of speed, in part due to the exposed nature I think, and fairly smooth. Pull up, and then, oh boy, I’m flying towards the first hill. Start to crest the hill and airtime! Wow! Wasn’t expecting that. Lovely pop of floater.

It was the next fraction of a second where everything suddenly got very real. Immediately after the crest of the hill is the turn, and it was as at the start of this corner I realised that the little carts didn’t have any up-stops. I felt the main running wheels re-seat on the rails as I was already turning the corner. Holy :emoji_poop:, it’s totally plausible this thing could totally derail. I look ahead and see the next hill, significantly lower than the next one with the same turn after the crest. Brace, airtime – hopefully we end up back on the rails - little jiggle as the wheels find the track again, and we’re off.

Rest of it is just a meandering lap around the outside of the golf course. Finishing with a very hard stop on the wooden skid brake (accompanied with a lovely burning wood smell). All pretty good then, actually.

Off I get, back up the tower for another lap. That really got the blood pumping.

Spoke to the lady at the top about the airtime and she had some comment about “oh yeah, you had a fast one, this thing can be pretty scary” (paraphrasing), so that was reassuring. In the good way, I suppose, I’m glad I wasn’t being dramatic and that she fully acknowledged that it does that sometimes.

This time I had the confidence to keep the camera (only a small compact this time, not the big SLR!), so you get some shots of my toes.
More here: http://coasterforce.com/forums/thre...ugust-2018-day-18-summary.42892/#post-1037557

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Altair at Cinecitta World.

https://rcdb.com/11082.htm

A Colossus clone with lap bars... Yes please. I've got a huge soft spot for Colossus but the restraints are a disgrace. Genuinely think Altair could be a top 10 coaster for me.

I'm sure many on here have rode it, what's the verdict?

It’s a vast improvement on colossus, the drop is much better but the ride had a really vicious rattle when CF want back in 2014, it’d only been open a year or so then too. I wish they’d given the airtime hump before the cobra roll a tweak to provide a bit more with the lapbars, going through the heartlines was certainly an experience though!

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
It’s a vast improvement on colossus, the drop is much better but the ride had a really vicious rattle when CF want back in 2014, it’d only been open a year or so then too. I wish they’d given the airtime hump before the cobra roll a tweak to provide a bit more with the lapbars, going through the heartlines was certainly an experience though!
Thanks - sounds great minus the rattle, hope to check it out for myself soon.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I kinda want to ride a Chance Toboggan. I mean, I really don't because they look horrendous, but there's a morbid curiosity there.
I don't think theyre as bad as everyone says, but I'm a rather tiny human being. That said by no means are they good.

Of things already built Tilt coasters. Though Steel Curtain I think is the coaster that intrigues me most right now. it's just so strange and I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
I rode a Chance Toboggan years ago at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach. It was kinda odd and fairly claustrophobic inside the cars. The little hill at the bottom was very painful if I remember correctly.