What's new

Coaster Noises in Real Life?

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
Am I the only one that hears noises in real life that remind me of coasters? The most current example would be that the drink machine at Panera today made a high-pitched sound today that sounded almost exactly to me like the high-pitched sound Millennium Force's brake section (or Top Thrill, or various other Intamins) makes. Of course, there's tons of ratchet sounds out there that also sound like anti-rollbacks...

Does anyone else experience that?

Ollie

CF Legend
Haha I do. I'm always thinking things sound like coasters I know and recognise. There was one machine once I heard that sounded exactly like a quieter version of Corkscrews lift-hill.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
The washing machine sounds like a winch of a launch coaster.

When I hear a shopping trolley I think....Colossus!

I also run a finger up a radiator at the school cause they sound like the anti-rollbacks.

My bikes joints rattle at speed and it sounds like Intamins.

I can't put my finger on the sound Nemesis makes on the electrial contacts though. Its got a funky beat to it. "do do tshh ahh do do tshh ahh". Awesome sound.

Also when farting I think of those big Vekomas. I cant remember which it was but it farts.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The only noise that I can remember is from a large industrial air conditioner. I was at a local ice rink and it started up as we were leaving and it sounded like an accelerator coaster launching.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I sometimes hear the wind at the top of my road when walking to college that sounds like Nemesis. But it makes me want to be at Towers instead of going to college.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ashamedly.....yes, I have had this happen to me. I agree with A-Kid about the shopping trolleys, especially when they clash together, sounds exactly like Colossus.

Ollie

CF Legend
Since when did shopping trolleys sound like Colossus? :lol:
I know I hear stuff that sound like coasters but now I can't think what any of them are. I remember something sounding like Blackhole once which made me sad.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Since when did shopping trolleys sound like Colossus? :lol:

Just imagin Malcolm with a train of shopping trolleys being pushed over the Tesco carpark speedbumps. There is the sound.

Will

Strata Poster
Benin. Is correct - and that horrible clumsy, clattering... racket it makes going through cobra roll/inlines/that SLOW curve at the end... Moreorless the whole track really - it does makes the noise I imagine supermarket trolleys would, if they were being put away by me. Likewise, the big annoying trolley things we had at the place I worked during December were VERY Colossus-ish... and thus their noise 8 hours a day was not my favourite. Trolley skidding noises... also remind me of something, though I can't think want... In fact, I'm coming to the conclusion that anything with wheels can make a coasterish noise if we think about it enough.

Ashamedly... is indeed the word :) Come to think about it, there's some farm machinery or generator or something a mile or so from where I live, which makes the EXACT same noise Corkscrew's lift hill motor used to, for much of the Summer months. Wistful times ensue.

Mountain Madman

Mega Poster
Not a coaster, but the sound my computer makes when Skype starts up sounds eerily similar to the 'boarding call' for Star Tours. Anyone else think this? Or am I just a nerd? :)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I get this all the time, can't think of any specific examples though. I always end up seeing things which I mistake for theme park rides or Roller coasters as well.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Haha. Saying that brings back memories of the Euro-Live 08. We just left Thorpe and every time we saw a construction site of sorts we screamed EURO-FIGHTER!!! lol.

That got replaced in 09 with RHINO! :p