What's new

Coaster Counting

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Am I the only one who's not sure whether to count some coasters as one or two?

I would assume that a Möbius Loop coaster would count as one credit, but when it comes to Racing/Duelling coasters or coasters that sit at the side of each other as a mirror opposite i'm not sure how to count them.

I also struggle to decide whether some rides which use a track and are powered around it (Squirrel Nutty) count or not.

What ruling do you use or is there any site that has a definative list of credits.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I count powered coasters but not squirell nutty as IMO it more of a vintage cars style ride than a coaster. Go-gaters aren't coasters either as they don't get the power from their track, they get it from the central thing. Racing coasters are 2 creds, Mobius's 1.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There is no right or wrong answer. I use a combination of two (arguably 3) policies:

-Is it on RCDB? That pretty much seals the deal for me as to whether it's a coaster or not.
-I then use CoasterCounter/my own judgement to decide how to count it. CoasterCounter is often pretty good (it hasn't failed me yet!), but I would basically count Mobius coasters as one credit (only when you've ridden both sides) and I'd count duelling coasters as two. Racing coasters count as one, because as far as I'm concerned it's the same track. Powered coasters also count.

So my system is depends on a little bit of judgement, but at the end of the day there's no right or wrong way of counting them. Even my system has flaws, but I don't think anyone would disagree too much if they saw my list.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Do we HAVE to have this topic again? I'm sure there's another one somewhere if you look hard enough (the search engine thingy).

But to answer your question, it's down to personal preference at the end of the day. If you want to be a whore like me and count everything (clones, mobius, relocations, etc) then do it! If you feel guilty for counting something then you probably shouldn't be counting it, I find this philosophy works best when trying to answer the 'cred or not?' question.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Personally, If I want to count something as a credit, I will, after all it's MY list! I just won't use it as a competition piece, that's all !

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Nailed it right there.

And if you want to use it for competitive purposes, just don't count what you're unsure of. Those who ask about your coaster count will probably understand if you're unsure (and perhaps respect you for not"inflating the numbers" by adding lots of pseudocoasters), the rest of the people will most likely think your count is impressive either way.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:
Do we HAVE to have this topic again? I'm sure there's another one somewhere if you look hard enough (the search engine thingy).

I did try the search engine but couldn't find any relevant topics, then again I don't know what wording people have used so I could well have missed it.

Now I just can't decide if Hixee linking me to RCDB was a blessing or a Curse! I've been on the site before but only when linked from a search engine to a specific page, I've never browsed through it by Country or State. Now I don't know where to start! Every trip route I have planned out will probably be adjusted if I keep looking on there :shock:

EDIT: It was actually http://www.coaster-count.com that i'd been browsing but it links to RCDB for pics.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I count anything that by general consensus is a coaster, and traveling coasters (I only do interesting traveling coasters). It's just common sense.

Let's not have a moan about this kind of thing all the while CF is SO quiet. We want to encourage people to be posting and making new topics.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I guess it just feels like the same old discussions? But it's one I quite enjoy having, so don't actually mind that much =]

Martyn B

CF Legend
I now regret counting travelling coasters....

toboggan01.jpg_920.jpg

The most VILE contraption EVER created. EVER!

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I feel for you Martyn, one of the parks I plan to visit next year is Lakemont on my way from Knoebels to Kennywood, they have one of those, it looks horrible. Infact, looking at the coaster in the background (leap the dips?) I think that's it!

Martyn B

CF Legend
The awful ride is made worse if you're tall, I'm 6'3", and they literally had to slam the thing shut, crushing me in the meantime. We had about 25st in our 'car', which just felt SO unsafe!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thankfully the one at Lakemont was closed when we where there... phew! :D

Brett7710

Mega Poster
^ That actually looks like it could be less painfull, its the repetitive downward spiral and that awful looking attempt at an airtime hill at the bottom of the other one that really put me off.

Ben

CF Legend
Brett7710 said:
^ That actually looks like it could be less painfull, its the repetitive downward spiral and that awful looking attempt at an airtime hill at the bottom of the other one that really put me off.

Yeah, no.

mktu80vv0h9rp6os0038db.jpg

Seriously, that looks nicer than a tiny hill to you?

They're not nicer. Trust me.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
^A loop can definatly be better than an uncomfortable jolt, but i'll take your word for it that this loop isn't a good example.

The more I look at that pic the more it looks like it's just going to fall over!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It can be better, but looking at that monstrosity Ben posted, there's no way it is. That loop looks like 360 degrees of death. I've done some bad loops, but nothing that looks so hideous.