What's new

coaster count

jokerman

Giga Poster
Usually just coasters.

Then you have all the trouble of people arguing over what constitutes a coaster. Do you count travelling rides? Do you count clones? Is it a water ride or a coaster? :wink:

But you would never normally count a thrill ride.

CMonster

Giga Poster
A related question, can you count a coaster twice if it's been relocated and has had a name change, and you've been on both versions? Even if it's in the same park? (Looking at Flight of the Hippogriff at IoA)

A-Kid

Giga Poster
You get one coaster "credit" for every different rollercoaster you do.

If you have a relocated/rethemed coaster in your list, you can still only count it once as you have ridden that particular track before.

Simples.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not simples A-Kid ;)

If you can't count a relocated ride, why then count rides that are clones?

The experience of say "Infusion" is very different to that of Traumatizer. Yet they are the same "bits of track". You wouldn't count them though, but would count another SLC with an identical layout somewhere else?

I know that to the Nth degree of pedantry the same track is the same track and different track is different track and I do agree in principle. I just don't see why if you count the lacklustre coasting efforts of 20 different Big apples, you then discount wildly different experiences of the same coaster in a different location?

So it's correct to just count a relocated coaster once, but I think it defeats the ideal...

Discuss and then start on if Steeplechase is three coasters, and a Mobius coasters 1 or 2 credits as well please ;)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
furie said:
Discuss and then start on if Steeplechase is three coasters, and a Mobius coasters 1 or 2 credits as well please ;)

Steeplechase is 3 separate tracks, hence equals to 3 credits, same for any two track racing coaster (which obv equals 2 credits)...

Mobius are on the other hand a continuous track, so it overall counts as one...

Infusion is an interesting one furie... I probs wouldn't count it as a new one though since doing Traumatizer... Relocated/Renamed should only be counted really if you haven't done the original version...

Counts are all in the eyes of the creator though...

Martyn B

CF Legend
With Infusion, or any reloacted coaster, I'd put it on my list, but but wouldn't actually count it.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Make you own counting rules, modify them when and if you see fit, and don't worry about what 'the other guy' is doing.

I currently am at 954 coasters, but other people might have me as high as 1015, while others could concievably have my number as low as 933.

My count, my rules, thank you very much.

Mike

Giga Poster
Would Indiana Jones at DLP (or whatever) count as 2 credits if you've riden it both forward and backwards?
Do powered coasters count?
Do relocated coasters count as extra?
Do rethemed coasters count as extra?
Do clones count?
Do racing/duelling coasters count as 1 or 2?
Do moebius coasters count for 1, 2 or a half for each side?
Do those metal-trough bobsleigh things count?
Do you count things in playgrounds/flat rides/other track rides/skate boards because they both roll and coast?
Do different trains/seats on a coaster count as different credits?
Do water coasters count, even if only a minute amount of the ride actually runs on coaster track?
If you stand on a beer coaster, could you count this?

I think that pretty much sums it up as to what people have asked in regards to what counts as a "coaster credit" or not.
Make your own rules really, but don't get too anal about it. It should really only be a bit of fun after all.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I think the general vibe around this topic, which I agree with, is that, to be brutally honest, nobody else cares if you count a mobius (sp?) as two, don't count powered coasters, or count it twice if it's been renamed. Coastercounts, to me, are a very personal thing, and if you feel that something should/shouldn't count, do whatever makes you happy and content with that nice little number you can shout at people when they don't value your opinion. :--D

A

Anonymous

Mike said:
Would Indiana Jones at DLP (or whatever) count as 2 credits if you've riden it both forward and backwards?
Do powered coasters count?
Do relocated coasters count as extra?
Do rethemed coasters count as extra?
Do clones count?
Do racing/duelling coasters count as 1 or 2?
Do moebius coasters count for 1, 2 or a half for each side?
Do those metal-trough bobsleigh things count?
Do you count things in playgrounds/flat rides/other track rides/skate boards because they both roll and coast?
Do different trains/seats on a coaster count as different credits?
Do water coasters count, even if only a minute amount of the ride actually runs on coaster track?
If you stand on a beer coaster, could you count this?
If I would go by my "rules" then:
No, same track
Yes, they are marketed as coaster
No, see first
No, see first
Yes, they are "different" coasters
2, Separate tracks that can operate individual
1, you have to ride it twice to get the full circuit
No, they are alpine slides aka. not coasters
No, not marketed as coasters
No, there is only one track
Yes, the water part is just brakes/transport section of a "normal" coaster
No, just no...

Another question the the list.
If a coaster had 2 trains from different station but same track, ex. Momonga Stand & Loop coaster have one sit down and one stand up train on a single circuit but have one station for each train. How would you count it?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Momonga's an interesting one.

I only counted it once, as I would for a relocated coaster, as it's the same piece of track you're traveling on. You wouldn't count a coaster a second time if it had new trains put on, but Momonga does offer two very distinct, seperate rides though. How do most people count it?

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ I think I would count that and the Indiana Jones backwards/forwards each as two, as they do both offer unique experiences in either situation.

Nic

Strata Poster
Ooooh, this is exciting. No, really, for once, I'm not being sarcastic. I think I'd do what I do with Nash, and count each one as half. You've not got the credit until you've ridden on both trains, and therefore got the whole experience that the track has to offer. That said, if I actually went on it, I'd orib end up counting it as 2. I've spent far too much time with Jake this year, afterall.

Anyway, for the benefit of the original poster... a rule of thumb that many people use is "If it's on www.coastercounter.com, I'll count it. If it isn't, I won't." Just thought I'd throw that out there

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, I rode both trains and just counted it once.

There are entire parks missing off coaster counter. My count is crap on there. http://www.coaster-count.com/welcome.xhtml is actually a more generous one, as it includes travelling coasters and some others that other sites might not include. It also lets you select what you include personally. For example, you can click the boxes to show that you've ridden a powered coaster, but not have powered coasters included in the official "count".

Still, there are things on there that I've ridden, but I wouldn't class as coasters, so my count on here is based on what I personally think should be counted.