What's new

Coaster Count Question

exodus

Roller Poster
Not a very important thing, but I wonder if people include traveling coasters like those Wild Mouse rides that pop up at county fairs. If so, how do you categorize them when you don’t recall the name and they move around alot?

exodus

Roller Poster
It’s not like anyone is going to audit my count, lol, but I personally have a hard time including credits I don’t remember clearly or can’t name. Probably I’m giving too much authority to rcdb and if it’s not on there I don’t include it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Coaster-Count does a decent job of keeping track of traveling stuff. It's definitely a bit more work than counting proper park coasters.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The only travelling coasters I count are the particularly notable ones (Olympia Looping, for example). I wouldn't count the random Wacky Worm that recently showed up at Funderworld in Bristol.

Then again, I don't ride them either so it's not that hard.

I think Gavin is right though, Coaster-Count always seems to have them identified and tracked pretty well from what I've seen.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Coaster Count certainly makes it easy to track traveling coasters so you could if you want. I personally don't (save for Hixee's reasoning, which I haven't been subject to yet) because I've ridden some coasters at various local fairs as a young kid but I can't say for certain that they were all the same ride or multiple different rides. It would probably be next to impossible for me to try and track which showmen were located at which carnivals back in the late 90s and early 00s.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Ive not been on any, but yeah I would. If its a coaster, it counts.
And Im pretty conservative with the whole cred thing

Ben

CF Legend
Nowadays people just make up their counts so you just do you boo.

I count portable rides but my rule is if I can’t prove two of the same model are different (usually by owner but sometimes you can just know) then I will only count one of each model.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Here's my thesis on the coasters I count:
- Any coaster that I have ridden from my birth to this very second is in my count. That way, rides like Dragon Wagon at Galaxyland that I'm much too large for nowadays can still be included.
- I count coasters at fairs/carnivals. For example, I rode a Zyklon at the state fair in 2016, but there was another one that I rode at the fair in 2017. Since I could tell there was a significant visible difference between the two, I counted these as two different coaster credits as opposed to one or even none.
- Clones and dual tracked coasters count, even if they're a Mobius loop. One track = one credit. As for clones, well,
- If I've ridden the relocated coaster at two of its homes or more, that would only count as one credit. Think about it - if you're taking a coaster away from a park (-1) only to be added to another (+1), it cancels out at 0.
- Although they aren't constantly propelled by gravity, I do count powered coasters because during the downhill parts of their circuits they are indeed moved by gravity.

As you can see, I'm very basic in what I constitute as a credit versus what I don't consider a credit. I don't count Skywarps, Superloops, or the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride at Universal's Islands of Adventure towards my count, though.

exodus

Roller Poster
I personally don't...because I've ridden some coasters at various local fairs as a young kid but I can't say for certain that they were all the same ride or multiple different rides.

Yeah, you said exactly what i was trying to, and I agree.

I appreciate all the feedback! I know it’s even less than a trivial issue, but I was just wondering what people thought.