What's new

Cinecitta World, Italy | Altair | Intamin 10 inversions

rcjp

Roller Poster
Re: Cinecitta World, Italy | Unknown | Intamin 10 inversions

They also look like they will hold your legs closer to the waist unlike skyrush's ones that do it a bit more forward. If they do, I'm convinced that's what will make the biggest difference.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Looks like they will hold at the same spot as Skyrush with one massive key difference between the two: Extreme Forces.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Lofty said:
They look a bit more comfortable than the Skyrush ones...

Of course they will be! These are designed by Intamin Europe, and not by Intaride, who designed the ones for Skyrush!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

^ Hang on... What??

Inatmin Ride Trade and Intamin are two separate entities?
I don't get it...

I just wanna see an article or a product press release where it states that they were designed by someone else.

BBH

Giga Poster

Screaming Coasters said:
^ Hang on... What??

Inatmin Ride Trade and Intamin are two separate entities?
I don't get it...

I just wanna see an article or a product press release where it states that they were designed by someone else.
There's Intamin AG, which is a huge company that is split into two divisions - Intamin Amusements and Intamin Transport. Intamin Transport makes monorails for different cities, and Intamin Amusements is split into different subdivisions. There is Intamin Europe, which is responsible for all European transactions (obviously). There's Intamin North America, which handles transactions across the United States, Mexico, and Canada. Intaride is a separate division of Intamin which works mostly with Intamin North America to design roller coasters.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Ok thanks for the explanation - now I'm gonna ask:

Why do they not share the same technology in that case?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Screaming Coasters said:
Why do they not share the same technology in that case?

They do with everything. There's no real explanation to why they developed two different restraints like here.
Intaride shipped theirs to Hershey, and Intamin shipped theirs to Hopi Hari, both in late 2011.

BBH

Giga Poster

Maverick's technology (which was developed by Intaride) would have been mirrored on a similar coaster built by Intamin. It's just that the restraints and ride design are different between Intaride and Intamin Amusements, which are somewhat separately functioning design firms.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Thats a bit odd...

Is there a reason for this setup other than a continental thing? I don't get why they don't just use one team of developers for the technology, but then use two different sets of designers for different continents.

Cool, I learnt something new. Thanks everyone :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I would have thought that they would share technology between companies in a "group", unless there is a good reason.

The fact the Skyrush restraints/seats were pretty much a failure* probably prompted a redesign. We still see other common Intamin designs in place worldwide (like the neck chopping OTSR)...

*Okay, riders could sit in the seats and they didn't fall out, so it wasn't a failure as that's what the design specification was, but beyond that scope ;)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

^ Yeah, thats what I thought the setup would be too. I mean, why would the same company design two separate things? It seems a bit dumb and financially unviable..

EDIT:

I've just researched and IntaRide, or as we commonly know it, Intamin Ride Trade. IntaRide is just a broker and constructer that carries the Inatmin AG brand. The technology still comes from the Swiss plant and the other subdivisions facilitate the manufacturing.

Vekoma also do this and so do B&M and I imagine that a lot of mainstream manufacturers do this. Engineer in one place and facilitate at the others.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

furie said:
The fact the Skyrush restraints/seats were pretty much a failure* probably prompted a redesign.

As I said it's not a redesign, they were both developed at the same time.

Screaming Coasters said:
^ Yeah, thats what I thought the setup would be too. I mean, why would the same company design two separate things? It seems a bit dumb and financially unviable..

EDIT:

I've just researched and IntaRide, or as we commonly know it, Intamin Ride Trade. IntaRide is just a broker and constructer that carries the Inatmin AG brand. The technology still comes from the Swiss plant and the other subdivisions facilitate the manufacturing.

Vekoma also do this and so do B&M and I imagine that a lot of mainstream manufacturers do this. Engineer in one place and facilitate at the others.

I'm not sure how you mean, but as I said it is two different offices.
Intaride in Maryland, US (headed by Sandor Kernacs) designs and calculate all the rides going to the states. They were for an example the ones who developed the hydraulic launch, and then the European office (headed by Sascha Czibulka) have sold it over in Europe using the same design, where they however designed the rides who use it.

Zacspin is a development from the European office, and the US office have used the same technology and sold it for SFMM.

They have a few different factories (in Europe) that they outsource manufacturing to, depending on where it is most favorable to manufacture at the time.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Intamin has always worked this way. It's operated more like a brokerage. Many/most of Intamin's rides are designed and manufactured by different companies. This is largely how Giavanola and M&V, and to some extent B&M were able to open up and immediately make and sell large coasters.

They were already doing it, and Intamin just sold the earlier products under that name.

spicy

Giga Poster

Seems like a very strange way to operate?

Why have separately functioning design firms and not just one?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Because this way they can sell a large variety of rides?

The sub-companies are exposed to less financial risk?

There's plenty of reasons.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

spicy said:
Seems like a very strange way to operate?

Why have separately functioning design firms and not just one?

It's not that strange in general (while each firm is individually owned and run, they can still work together). However, it does seem strange to have R&D working on the same thing at different ends.

It does explain a lot of the inconsistencies though :)

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

They're testing and it looks brilliant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6cDqkPN9A4#t=115[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend

Wow, it flows through better than I hoped it would. All the transitions look perfect and is it me or does it take the inlines at the end quicker than the old versions?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ I'll let you know in a few weeks after I've ridden the other new one in China [/smugface]