What's new

Chester Zoo! 28th Feb 2009!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
#We're all going to the zoo yesterday, the zoo yesterday, the zoo yesterday. We're all going to the zoo yesterday and we stayed all day!#

Or something.

Much to the disgust of the local Scouse population, Family_Furie headed to Chester Zoo (just outside Liverpool for those of you not native to these sceptred isles). However to help us fit in (and as is appropriate for PTR's) - we needed local food stuffs.

6.jpg

This nutritious thing in all it's ringed glory is known as a do-nut. I think it comes from the local well used Scouse words "Do" and "Not". As in "Do not eat that fruit".

7.jpg

This is popcorn. Corn is a vegetable, so this is healthy and should be eaten by the bucket load. If you can't find any growing wild, just steal it from your local Vue cinema!

Ah... I sense by the ankle biting that is happening, Maxi-Minor_Furie would like to butt in.

maxi-minor_furie

Roller Poster
Shhhhh! Be vewwy vewwy quiet! I'm hunting elephants. Heheheheheheh!

1.jpg

I think those blurred lumps may be the target. I'm going in for a closer look.

2.jpg

Ahhhh, yes, they cannot see me in my tree disguise... Excellent...

3.jpg

Pick out the smallest and weakest. Aim for him, gently does it... Crawl in closer and...

4.jpg

Elephantine triumph! High ho Silver! Away!

8.jpg

I am your king!!! Fear me pachyderms... Oh, and you miserable crisp eating subject!

9.jpg

Ahhh, my faithful servant grand-father_furie. I have a job for you... It involves my new manure business. Do you have a shovel handy?

Who's this ugly old bird?
10.jpg

No, not grand-mother_furie you dolt! This one!

11.jpg

Furie goes on about a great film called Condorman... I don't believe these things could ever be exciting if mixed with Michael Crawford???

12.jpg

That's all from me for now my deers ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent munchkin... so close to the truth I'm sure :roll:

Chester are trying to help all the animals (not just the Scousers) in the park to get together. So they
ve arranged meeting points. Either the animals are too stupid to deal with it, or these simply can't read, or have no concept of self.

13.jpg

What do we find here?

14.jpg

Yes, obviously! Just what I was thinking!

15.jpg

Infernus has a new competitor for the ugliest, hairiest, smelliest animal seen on CF :p

16.jpg

This PTR is going to have some quiz questions every so often. I'll show an animal and I want you to guess what they are. I'll give the answer to this one in a link, but what do you think?

It's clearly a:
http://www.broadswordsnbunnies.co.uk/im ... 009/17.jpg
The name makes me LOL! :)

18.jpg

Well done Chester Zoo - you've kind of ruined that for them now haven't you? Heartless bastards!

19.jpg

Okay, so first question. Do you know your UK Lizards? No points for Slow Worm :p

"Well officer, I was driving my Jag down the road, when suddenly I hit a clump of rocks! It's broken the front end really badly. No, I was drinking Officer..."
20.jpg

21.jpg

Recently, MMF has really come out of his shell! :p

22.jpg

Take me home you great Orange Ape... It's just like a line from a mid afternoon antique show...

23.jpg

Big brother is prone... and aware mischief is just about to occur!

24.jpg

Why are Flamingos pink? (yes, that's another question)

26.jpg

Another inaptly named meeting point... What's at this one?

25.jpg

Close, but no bananas!

27.jpg

Time for lunch and an improptue rehersal for some music number or other!

28.jpg

Fun Ark! sounds like the kind of place kids can clamber and enjoy themselves...

29.jpg

... or not as the case may be :roll:

30.jpg

Erm... What is it?

31.jpg

"Lion Pride" - see what I did there? :)

32.jpg

Aha! What will we find here?

33.jpg

Of course, the sign is lion... And the animal is also just lion around... Etc, etc, etc...

34.jpg

Run children, RUN!!! The Lions are loose!

36.jpg

The boat ride was actually open. We've not seen this in many years... Hurray!... I said HURRAY! Not sit looking miserable.

Ah, it's because this is the:
35.jpg

In the boat?

37.jpg

Altogether now! "That's the badger!!!"

38.jpg

Advert for a better Web Browser? (Name the animal, win a prize) :)

39.jpg

The Kangaroos spot something... It's Maxi-Minor_Furie heading this way with more...

40.jpg

"The camera... It is mine..."

maxi-minor_furie

Roller Poster
Just a quick report from me this time! Just to mix things up a little bit.

You may have heard rumours that Furie has changed appearance... This was my opportunity to try and grasp a rare picture of the new look...

41.jpg

Damn, he moves fast... Let's try again!

42.jpg

Gah! Wrong Furie!

43.jpg

Oi! Get your hand out of the way!

45.jpg

You're just going to make a spectacle of yourself (name the animal) ;)

And here it is, at last! That elusive shot. You can really see the difference!
http://www.broadswordsnbunnies.co.uk/im ... 009/44.jpg

Back to the ugly man!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, thanks...

Couple more questions for you!

46.jpg

Name the bird!

47.jpg

What is this, and why is it special (other than the fact the name makes me laugh)?

48.jpg

Not quite as exciting as a new ride, but new for 2009 at Chester is the butterfly house! It's quite nice if you like that kind of thing :)

49.jpg

I see you sneaking out there.

50.jpg

Ahhh... Sneaking out because it's the dope room obviously...

51.jpg

Name this... Exact type please!

And finally, finally, finally...
52.jpg

They got one right ;)

Erm, great day and all that. Lots of animals, smiles and fun was had. Hurrah!

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've always wanted to go to Chester Zoo, seems like a really fun place.

Answers:

1) Flamingos are pink because they eat lots of shrimp!
2) Is it a gopher?
3) Red Panda
4) Rhea or an Emu
5) Capybara
6) I don't know, some sort of tortoise Galapagos?

jokerman

Giga Poster
Flamingos are pink because they eat lots of blue-green algae, often force fed to them to maintain their pink colour. The shrimp thing is a common misconception.
Also, is there such an animal as the firefox? If there is then thats what I'll guess.
Very nice report, made me giggle. Looks like an interesting family day out if I'm ever in the area.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
"Well officer, I was driving my Jag down the road, when suddenly I hit a clump of rocks! It's broken the front end really badly. No, I was drinking Officer..."

20.jpg

I actually fell off the bed with side-splitting laughter at that! :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
jokerman said:
Flamingos are pink because they eat lots of blue-green algae, often force fed to them to maintain their pink colour. The shrimp thing is a common misconception.

Someone watched QI

But Jordan guessed most the aimals I would've except maybe the Gopher?

Oh is the tortoise a Seychelles giant tortoise?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yay for quizzes!

1. The 3 lizards fund in the U.K are the Common Lizard, Sand Lizard and Slow Worm.

2. It depends on the type of Flamingo. It could be either from shrimp or algae. The basic answer is Beta Carotene.

3. That's a prairie dog/prairie marmot. Different names for the same thing.

4. That'ss be a red panda.

5. Poor quality models of spectacled bears.

6. Rhea.

7. Those are Capybara. They're special because they're the world's largest rodent. They are in the cavy (guinea pig) group of rodents. (fishing for bonus points).

8. I'm thinking that's an aldabra tortoise.

I want to go to the zoo now!

Nic

Strata Poster
hehe, great reports as ever, Mr Furie... and Roo!
I am, however, greatly upset by the lack of Meerkats. Do they not have any?
The inclusion of a red panda did go some way to making up for it though. I love Red Pandas :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well done Gavin - all but one right. Jordan was right on the tortoise front - Galapagos.

I'd forgotten you were back just down the road actually, I'd have given you a shout if I'd thought ahead. Then again, these family days are a bit of a random nightmare for outsiders :lol:

Also, my Mum would have had to try REALLY hard to not be scouse and it may have finished her off :lol:

They had Meerkats Vadge, but they were being shy and hiding from cameras.

Aw that's cute! At least your zoo has animals in the winter time, I mean, I went to the Detroit Zoo in the middle of the season a long time ago and I think the only things they had were the butterfly conservatory, the polar bears, and the gorillas.

Although I do know it gets far colder here.

Very cute though and maxi-minor is.. SOOO ADORABLE as usual. Him and my little sister should date.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I can't believe you saw a Jaguar! I don't think i ever have :(

They're always off in the distance or somewhere....

That bloody playground is a nightmare! When your trying to round up your child/children off it.... you lose them for ages!