What's new

Chester Zoo, 18th June. ???

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yeah yeah I know, stand alone zoos aren't traditionally covered in Trip Reports, but these are not traditional times, man, and we have to take whatever we can get.
So, Chester Zoo it is, then.
As expected, tickets are pre-book only, all of the indoor exhibits are currently unavailable and the restaurants, gift shops and most of the food outlets are closed too.
Also expected on this particular day was buckets and buckets of rain. I'm not talking about light drizzle or scattered showers here - it was teeming down the entire day, which meant that a good portion of the animals that weren't closed spited us anyway cos they were hiding from the rain.
In every traditional sense of the word, this trip was an epic fail.
BUT... this trip wasn't about getting <animal> creds, the sole purpose of this trip was to help to support the zoo which, as we all know, was only a week or 2 away from going under. So in that respect, it was a complete success and Lord knows, after 3 months of lockdown it felt amazing just going somewhere... anywhere!

So, without any further ado, have a bunch of rain-soaked animal pictures.
Elephants first:
20200621_220422.jpg

20200622_195526.jpg

20200621_220927.jpg

20200621_221159.jpg

The giraffes were cool. I like giraffes, me:
20200622_050725.jpg

20200622_051459.jpg

How's about this for camouflage?
20200622_051135.jpg

As you can see, it was very, very wet... but at least the ducks seemed to like it:
20200622_053006.jpg

20200622_053652.jpg

And the penguins didn't seem to mind either:
20200622_054124.jpg

20200622_054415.jpg

20200622_054759.jpg

They've got red pandas at Chester Zoo, which are brilliant animals, the only other place I've seen red pandas at is Kölmarden. Here though, it seemed as though we were gonna get spited, no sign of them at first, most people gave up looking after a few minutes and moved on. They were looking in the wrong place - eventually Mrs Howie spotted him, hiding waaay up in the tree canopy, probably about 40 - 50ft in the air!
It's a Knuffelbeer! ?
20200622_060944.jpg

Not sure what this is, but it had a helluva long tongue:
20200622_091803.jpg

Not sure what these are either, but they looked very cute huddling together out of the rain:
20200622_092215.jpg

Some other random things:
20200622_093646.jpg

20200622_100738.jpg

Donkey-type things. No hats.
20200622_095120.jpg

All of the monkeys spited us - chimps, gibbons, gorillas, orangutans - all of 'em. Anything even remotely ape-like was indoors hiding from the rain. Pussy-whipped, sorry-arse mo-fo's. Screw the monkeys though, next we came to the big cats!
Check this guy out:
20200622_105510.jpg

To be fair, he was hiding from the rain too, but at least you could see him. Bit of a dude, huh?
Meanwhile, his bitches, his ho's, his little harim, were chilling inside:
20200622_110759.jpg
*just noticed the awful glass reflection on that pic, soz! ?

20200622_175202.jpg

They got cheetahs too, they're pretty cool:
20200622_154515.jpg

20200622_154720.jpg

The cheetah enclosure was one of the best ones I thought, with elevated wooden walkways over the top from one end to the other. Neat. Very theme-park ish.
In fact, if it wasn't for the complete absence of any rides, the whole day kinda felt a bit theme-parky, a much needed hint of normality. From the dude in the high-vis marshalling everyone to their parking space, to the turnstile entrance, to the pathways, the landscaping and dare I say it, random attempts at 'theming' dotted around the place. Yeah, we enjoyed it.
Unfortunately, I don't see Chester Zoo doing a Kölmarden and installing a massive RMC anytime soon but still, the overall theme parky type vibe still remains. Which is a good thing. ?

The gardens are nice:
20200622_175502.jpg

If knuffelbeers were flowers:
20200622_175825.jpg

I could easily imagine this at the entrance to a cool cred:
20200622_181556.jpg

Well into the afternoon now, and the rain just kept on coming, but at least that meant most of the other visitors had given up by this point:
20200622_182239.jpg

Finally, we arrived at the rhinos. Love rhinos, me, amazing animals. Donate to VETPAW every month because of a 10 second video clip that I saw a few years ago featuring a rhino. This isn't the place to go into details, but the thought of someone killing a rhino for nothing more than the horn (well, any animal cruelty really) makes my blood boil like nothing else.
Look at 'em. Magnificent things:
20200622_183744.jpg

20200622_183935.jpg

This one's called Neil.
Rhino Neil, geddit?
20200622_184225.jpg

After that, we found ourselves back at the elephants near the entrance. There was still a couple of hours left so in theory we could have done another lap and picked up some of the stuff we missed, but to be honest the constant monsoon was starting to wear a bit thin now and we decided to call it a day.
We'd done our bit, turned up, spent a few quid and hopefully helped to keep the place afloat (pun intended) for a while longer.

Recommend you doing the same. Not necessarily Chester, but any zoo/safari park/aquarium near you - they all could use some support right now and we found it a great way to get in the mood for having days out again.

You might even get to see a Knuffelbeer. ?

Matt N

CF Legend
Nice report @Howie! I myself was lucky enough to be able to visit Chester Zoo in 2015, and as far as zoos go, I think it’s an absolutely fantastic one!

I also get what you mean about the theme park-type vibe; did you get to go into the Islands section? The theming there is stunning, and it even has an Intamin Tow Boat!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Thanks man. ?
Err... don't recall seeing an Islands section to be honest, what beasties do they have in there?
Like I said, I think we missed a lot, anything indoors was off limits and I'm sure there were several pathways that we didn't go down. It's a big old zoo, we duked it out for about 5 hours and there's still loads more to see.
Will definitely go back soon when more of it is open.

davidm

Strata Poster
I think I've only ever been to Chester Zoo the once, as a relatively small child (yes yes a very LONG time ago).

My overriding memory of the place was as we were approaching the tiger cage ; I was lagging a bit behind my mother and sister so they got up to the enclosure ahead of me ; whereupon the tiger patrolling his territory just inside the cages decided to mark them out as a new part of his domain (i.e. he quickly pissed all over them). Ho Ho ho, I did laugh.

Matt N

CF Legend
^Thanks man. ?
Err... don't recall seeing an Islands section to be honest, what beasties do they have in there?
Like I said, I think we missed a lot, anything indoors was off limits and I'm sure there were several pathways that we didn't go down. It's a big old zoo, we duked it out for about 5 hours and there's still loads more to see.
Will definitely go back soon when more of it is open.
Ooh, now I must admit that that’s testing me, as I don’t really remember which specific animals were there. According to Wikipedia, it recreates “six island habitats of Southeast Asia”, and in terms of animals, some of the ones it features include tigers and macaques (which come to think of it, I do remember reading that!)

According to the zoo’s website, it recreates habitats of Panay, Papua, Bali, Sumatra, Sumba and Sulawesi, and as I said before, Sumba even features Lazy River Boat Trip, an Intamin Tow Boat ride (which I did actually ride. It’s more for nice views of the animals than anything else, but it does have some pretty incredible theming!). Out of the sections there, it’s the most recent and I‘d personally say it’s the one that felt the most theme park-esque; for a zoo, the theming was absolutely incredible (correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Jora Vision have something to do with it?), and I seem to remember that they were still building part of it when I went in October 2015!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Love Chester Zoo. I live only 30 mins away and don't visit nearly enough. Will make a visit a priority soon, may even invest in an annual pass to encourage me to visit more.

Once indoor areas reopen, make the bat cave a priority. Large indoor space filled with free flying bats which will fly very close to guests! the indoor Jaguar and Rainforest areas also fab.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Sounds great, chaps, we definitely didn't see those bits.
Yeah we're gonna go again as soon as possible too, love the sound of that boat ride thingy. Didn't realise it was so quick and easy to get to either - literally one straight road from my house to the zoo entrance (I live just off the A41! ?)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Sounds great, chaps, we definitely didn't see those bits.
Yeah we're gonna go again as soon as possible too, love the sound of that boat ride thingy. Didn't realise it was so quick and easy to get to either - literally one straight road from my house to the zoo entrance (I live just off the A41! ?)

Brilliant. If you fancy a socially distant meet-up at the zoo soon, let me know and we could possibly arrange something.

Howie

Donkey in a hat

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
FYI - these are knuffelbeers:
Ah, them, yes I've seen it.

Red pandas are better though.

50038771172_4bdb9b7f1d_k.jpg

50038514766_85cb6ac02c_k.jpg